Thread: Flea treatment - Diatomaceous earth

Default Flea treatment - Diatomaceous earth

Diatomaceous Earth for Fleas

August 2018 - I first learned about Diatomaceous Earth while searching the internet for a natural way to keep fleas off my pup and decided to try it. The results were so good I wanted to get the word out to anyone that hasn’t heard of it yet.

DE is made from the fossilized remains of tiny, aquatic organisms called diatoms, which are made of a natural substance called silica. Over a long period of time, diatoms accumulated in the sediment of rivers, streams, lakes, and oceans. Today, silica deposits are mined from these areas.

There is no shortage of information on Diatomaceous Earth. A quick search will provide pages of results. I found a web site named diatomaceousearth.com and started there. DE powder looks and feels like silk, but microscopically has the ability to lacerate the exoskeletons of fleas, (ticks, ear mites & other tiny pests), and kills them through dehydration. (Cue sinister laugh)

You must use the Food Grade DE. That grade is safe for humans and animals. A five pound bag costs around $14 and will last for quite a while. It is widely available locally and online at home improvement, discount and pet stores, and online at those same stores and others.

After sprinkling it on my dachshund, it only takes one or two days before she is no longer biting and scratching from flea bites. I continue treating the hotspots she already had from previous flea bites until they are gone, and then amazingly, there aren’t any more to treat.

One full dusting lasts a week or two. If she scratches during that time, it’s usually because the powder itself causes dry skin and she is scratching an itchy dry spot. She doesn’t scratch much, and it has never caused a hot spot.

A flea comb will no longer go through her fur because of the powder, so I use a wide spaced comb for grooming. When the powder starts wearing off and fleas want to hop aboard again, I give her a bath and after a short break from the powder it’s time to reapply again.

If fleas are present in the house or yard, you can use the powder to rid the fleas in those areas also. Vacuuming and cleaning after applying in the house is a small challenge, and there are articles on the web that address that subject.

One of the suggestions on the site I implemented right away: after your dog makes its daily deposit in the yard, throw some of the powder on top of it. It keeps the flies away and in-between clean up times with the scooper, those white spots make a good visual warning not to step there!

I hope this helps some of our fur babies.

Sharon
    Last edited by emmagirl; 08-17-2018 at 10:46 AM. Reason: rewrite