Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Bad effects from Vetoryl

Default Re: Bad effects from Vetoryl

Thanks, Lori, I hadn't seen that. Are any of the non-Rx products on the market for Cushing's helpful, or just hoaxes?
    Since Zimmy had to be hospitalized for his trilostane side effects, I will be nervous about restarting him on even a tiny dose if it proven he has Cushing's.

Unfortunately I don't know of any truly effective holistic/alternate substitutes to the Rx medication when one wants to lower cortisol levels significantly. Having said that, if clinical symptoms are not that bothersome to the dog or owner, some members have told us that Cushex and Adrenal Harmony Gold worked very well in controlling symptoms but only for a short time period. Now, Cushex and Adrenal Harmony Gold have no controlled clinical testing whatsoever to back up their claims (we know this because we have contacted the manufacturers and we have been told that no testing has been done).

If symptoms rebound and Zimmy still weighs around 26 lbs you could start at a really low dose of Vetoryl say like 5mg or 10mg.

Lori

Hi Lori, I'm back!
    Zimmy's symptoms miraculously went into remission after he was hospitalized and I stopped the trilostane last summer. Plus he was diagnosed with hyperparathyroidism so no one was sure if he had Cushings. Fast track to 2019. Zimmy started gulping water and peeing excessively again this spring. I took him to an internal med vet this time who determined he has both Cushing's (because the Vetoryl did lower his cortisol) and Hyperparathyroidism. So, we are going to try exactly what you suggested -- 5mg and if he tolerates it, add another 5mg at another meal. (Splitting the dose is advised if there are side effects--which previous vet never recommended).

Anyone else here with a combo Cushings and Hyperparathyroid problem? I've been holding off on surgery for the latter and had luck lowering Zimmy's high calcium level with Fosamax, recommended by the new vet.

Since Dr. Bruyette said he couldn't determine whether Zimmy has Cushing's until the hyperparathyroidism is treated, how did the IMS determine that Zimmy does have Cushing's?

One important factor had been overlooked. While Zimmy had a toxic reaction to the trilostane, it was still effective in lowering his cortisol and eliminating his primary symptom of excessive drinking and peeing. My current vet said that Zimmy would not have responded that way if the symptoms were being caused by hyperparathyroid disease.
    Last edited by Eve; 06-24-2019 at 01:43 PM.

Hi Eve

I hope you don't mind me asking, but how did your vet diagnose hyperparathyroidism? Via an ultrasound?

My dog also had a poor reaction to trilostane (but it also effective in lowing her cortisol and eliminating some of the Cushing’s symptoms) and reading through your thread it seems like my dog could also have the hyperparathyroidism / Cushing’s combo.

Thanks

Reggie’s mumma