Thread: Milk Thistle Overdose?

Question Milk Thistle Overdose?

Hello! I have a 5.5 lb Chihuahua (Shirley) I think I may be giving her too much Milk Thistle and I'm kind of freaking out about it. I give her a "small dog" pill of Denamarin daily but I also give her 2 drops in her food twice a day. I just read that Denamarin contains milk thistle so now I'm worried I'm overdoing it! Should I stop the drops or the Denamarin?

ANY advice would help. She was just diagnosed with Pituitary Dependent Cushings last week.

THANK YOU

Default Re: Milk Thistle Overdose?

Hello and welcome to you and little Shirley! You’ll see I’ve moved your post to our main discussion forum where more people are likely to see your question. Right at the moment, I don’t know the answer to your question about milk thistle — hopefully, some other folks who are more familiar with that supplement will soon be stopping by.

In the meantime, though, can you tell us more about Shirley’s Cushing’s diagnosis — what symptoms and testing have brought you to this point? Also, are you considering medication that specifically targets elevated cortisol levels (trilostane or Lysodren)? Any additional details that you care to share will help guide us with our feedback and suggestions.

Thanks in advance!
    Marianne

Hi and welcome to you and Shirley from me as well!

Regarding the milk thistle, I have used both the drops and Denamarin, I prefer the drops because they aren't as expensive as the Denamarin and the Denamarin has to be given on an empty stomach.

Hi Mama,

Welcome to you and Shirley!

If Shirley isn't having any skin rashes or other disruptions of the skin, looses stools/diarrhea, or nausea/vomiting then I would think it is alright. Milk Thistle is a very safe herb for the most part. However, if Shirley is diabetic MT can cause some problems resulting in a reduction of insulin use.

Hugs
    Leslie
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.