Thread: Cushings Diagnosis

Default Cushings Diagnosis

Is it possible for a dog to have Cushings without symptoms? My 14 1/2 yro Multi-Poo had a low dose Dex done about a year ago which confirmed he had Cushings. We started him on a low dose of trilosane. However, he has no polydipsia, no muscle wasting, no distended abdomen and no hair loss. He has been off trilosane for about 6 weeks now and I see no difference in symptoms. I have had 3 other poodle mixes that did have Cushings, had symptoms, were treated, and lived long lives before they passed. So I guess I am a little paranoid. Thanks- Allen

Default Re: Cushings Diagnosis

Hi Allen, welcome to you and your baby!

It is possible but not likely. There are typically at least one or two signs. The LDDS is notorious for giving false positive/negatives in the face of any other illness. For example, my dog was diagnosed with Cushing's but it turned out she had a tumor on her spleen causing the cortisol to rise which caused false positives. Once the tumor was removed her cortisol returned to normal and remained that way for a few years. Can you tell us what tests otehr than the LDDS yoyur baby had to diagnose the Cushing's? ACTH, abdomial ultrasound, UTK panel, HDDS, wellness screen that shows organ function like BUN or ALP etc. We would really like to see all test results to date both for diagnosing the Cushing's and for monitoring since he started the Trilostane.

I'm glad you found us and look forward to learning more soon!
    Hugs,
    Leslie
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Hi Allen,

I definitely understand your concern as strong obvious symptoms do play a huge part of a Cushing's diagnosis. What symptoms did your boy display that led him to be tested with the low-dose dexamethasone suppression (LDDS) in the first place?

Lori

PS ~ Sure would love to have an update on Ollie in his thread!

Lori-

Going to vet Wednesday. I will ask the vet why he thought my muti-poo (Opie) had Cushings- may have been an altered chem profile. He has no symptoms- period. Off Trilosane since June 20th and no ill effect

As for Ollie- 9 yro Norfork Terrier
    I finally got is diabetes under control-took 6 mo. He get 4.5 units of Vetsulin q12 and meals q12 with a Royal Cannie Gylobalance in an effort to prevent sugar shock. For the last two weeks his urine and bld glucose stays under 200 and usually in the range of 120-150. My plan was to do a Fructosamine which should tell me if he is in good control or not. for past 2-3 weeks. Numbers should be between 265-280. I was going to do a 12 hour curve but his veins in the ear are very embedded. I will also ask vet about his hair falling out (on back) and cataracts. His right eye seems worst (mature)- cannot see close vision only further away. I was thinking of trying Lomax eye drops (has good reviews)

In April 2017-LDDS done cortisol ug/dl 9:30 am=7.5, 1:30 pm=5.3, 5pm=5. In May ACTH Stim 10:45=9.2, 11:45=9.6

Thats it Thanks Ollie

Hey Allen,

I'll be waiting anxiously to hear what the vet says about Opie. And just to clarify, Opie displayed no Cushing's symptoms before starting the Trilostane, right?

Also, I copied your post to Ollie's thread as it contains important information about him, hope that was ok.

Lori

Hi Lori

Opie has not had any visible symptoms of Cushings-vet was basing his probable dx on some elevated labs. Opie has been off Trilostane since June 20 with no ill effect. Did you see Ollie's new lab results I posted in his thread earlier today? His BlD Glucose today was 61. Think I have that under control. I sure would like your input on the thread I posted. If you cannot find it I will copy

no problem