Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Totally lost...

Default Re: Totally lost...

Yes he is still on the 30 mgs each morning, and he was last weighed July 12th. Maxi still has diarrhea, and is drinking alot, but his appetite has slowed a bit (unless it's people food). Not so much that I'm concerned, but enough that I definitely noticed. His demeanor has been great, he even seems to have spurts of energy. He certainly doesn't seem to be in any pain or discomfort.
    His vet had recommended that we increase the Vetoryl and consider Zentinol for his liver, and Tylosen as a long term antibiotic. I have not yet decided if that's the way we want to go or not, and have told them we would come in to discuss his treatment plan soon.

The chronic diarrhea concerns me, did this begin after he started eating the Hills Science Diet Brain Development? The increased drinking could be due to the diarrhea as diarrhea can cause dehydration. Canned plain pumpkin may help make his stools firmer.

Yes he is still on 30mg of trilostane, he was weighed at his blood work appt. in July. He had lost just about 2 lbs. He is still suffering from diarrhea ranging anywhere from moderate to extreme. His appetite seems to be good, and he still drinks alot.
    Yes that is correct, his levels have doubled. The vet wants to up his dosage of trilostane, but I'm not sure.
    Max has short periods where he is excited and almost puppy like, but more often is tired and even nods off while standing. He also experiences alot of episodes of 'zoning out', and we are usually able to snap him out of it by calling his name and clapping our hands, but he doesn't seem to be showing any discomfort or distress.
    What are your thoughts on an increase of the Vetoryl at this point? We obviously want only what's best for him, and to keep him comfortable and happy for whatever time he has left.

I have switched him back to a sensitive stomach formula, and have continued the use of the Fortiflora powder supplement, but it doesn't seem to have helped. I will definitely try the canned pumpkin! Thank you!

I'd want to figure out what's causing the diarrhea before increasing the Trilostane dose because one of the symptoms of too low cortisol is diarrhea. When you switched his food, was it done gradually? If not, it may be a contributor to the diarrhea and his system would need some time to get used to the new food.