Thread: 13 year old dachshund not tollerating Vetoryl

Default 13 year old dachshund not tollerating Vetoryl

Patrick, my 13 year old dachshund was just diagnosed with Cushings about two months ago. It has been a challenge getting him to tolerate the Vetoryl and it seems I may be running out of options. Does anyone have any recommendations as to what I can do to help him tolerate it? He is about 20 lbs and is only taking 10mg once a day right now. He is still showing a lot of symptoms of the cushings and as soon as I stop the metranitazole, he gets diarrhea again. I’ve been looking online for alternative medicine options and am thinking about taking him to a naturopathic vet. I’d be interested to hear anyone’s experiences with alternative therapy as well. Thank you I’m advance!

Default Re: 13 year old dachshund not tollerating Vetoryl

Hello and welcome to you and Patrick! You’ll see that I’ve moved your thread to our main discussion forum — this way our members will be more likely to see it and respond to it.

I’m sorry that Patrick is having a rough time right now. Can you tell us a bit more about his overall health history, including the symptoms and testing that led to the Cushing’s diagnosis? When you say that he’s not tolerating the Vetoryl, is diarrhea the main problem? Did he have any problems with diarrhea beforehand? Also, has he had any monitoring blood testing since starting the Vetoryl so that you have an idea how his cortisol level is responding to his current dose?

I apologize for so many questions, but your answers will help guide our thoughts and suggestions. Unfortunately, I’m not aware of any naturopathic treatment that has a proven ability to lower the elevated cortisol levels associated with Cushing’s. However, once we learn more about your boy’s situation, perhaps there may be some supplemental options that we can suggest. And in terms of prescription Cushing’s medication, one alternative might be Lysodren if your boy can’t tolerate Vetoryl. So do tell us more, and we’ll go from there.

Once again, welcome!
    Marianne