Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Daisy: 10-year-old Pit Bull/Boxer Mix with Cushing's; questions about Vetoryl dosage

Default Re: Daisy: 10-year-old Pit Bull/Boxer Mix with Cushing's; questions about Vetoryl dos

Thanks for the wonderful information, Marianne. I'm definitely going to follow up with my vet about new NSAIDs on the market and go from there.

Yes, she has remained stable, for the most part. She did have a scary episode in December, and I'm still unsure whether it's related to Cushing's. All of a sudden, she was exhibiting trouble eating and drinking--like she couldn't manipulate her tongue normally or open her mouth as wide. She wound up spending the weekend at the vet on IV fluids/Benedryl and she improved greatly, but they recommended following up with a neurologist. I made that appt., and my options were 1) Pop her on 2 antibiotics to see if they would knock out a possible infection; 2) Put her under for an MRI and muscle biopsy; or 3) Put her on Pred. I chose the 1st option--didn't seem to make a difference after 2 weeks--and I was unwilling to put her under anesthesia, and Pred didn't seem like an option because of the Cushing's. As of now, she's much better but does still have some restricted mouth opening. Perhaps any inflammation in that area could be mitigated by one of the NSAIDs you mentioned as an added benefit?

Default Re: Daisy: 10-year-old Pit Bull/Boxer Mix with Cushing's; questions about Vetoryl dos

Has Daisy seemed to have a problem with a lack of appetite, or has the issue solely seemed to be mechanical?

Marianne

Her appetite is GREAT. I've actually never seen more of a chow hound--from the moment I adopted her (at about 1-2 years of age) until now (she's about 11, could be older). It seems she has some inflammation in the jaw/upper neck area that maybe makes it difficult or painful for her to open her mouth very wide. She's seemed to adapt to it and eats and drinks without issue, but I wonder how bothersome it is to her otherwise.

Hi Daisy. Galliprant is one of the newer NSAID meds and there have been many Cush pups using it with success, and it is kinder to the liver and kidney than the older types. Well worth discussing with your vet.

Thanks for your thoughts, Laura. I DID ask my vet about Galliprant, and she said in her experience, it's not been as effective as Rimadyl...but it might be worth a try. I gave Daisy her first dose this morning. Starting very low at 20 mg/day (Daisy weighs about 43lbs) to hopefully avoid upsetting her stomach. We'll see how it goes!