Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Our newest family member - Vanilla

Default Re: Our newest family member - Vanilla

Okay, I can live with the nickname Nilla Bean. It's cute and clever, just as she is. Still like Nilla Wafer
    better! So glad that she's settling in.
    Kathy and Angel Buddy. The mightiest of all lizard hunters!

She sounds absolutely adorable, Sharlene. Sibbie wants all my attention too. She doesn't bark, but whines when she thinks I should be paying attention to her and not to anything else.

I'm so happy for you!

Love,
    Joan
    Joan, mom to my Angel Lena, Angel Gable, Angel Phoenix, Angel Doree, Cooper, Sibble, and now Raina.

I've not been on the forum for a while as life's been a bit busy, however I'm so happy to read about little Vanilla, and to see the pics. She's absolutely adorable, and it sounds like she's settling in well. She's definitely landed on her paws, and will have you all trained very soon ;-)

WELL!!!!! I must have had my head in the sand, this is the first I have read this - talk about late to the party!! Congrats on your new little family member. She is adorable. I can see she already has stolen your hearts, she deserves you two and of course you deserve her... have fun with the new little one. Can't wait to hear the adventures.
    Judi & "mah boy" Keesh

hi sharlene, how are you and vanilla doing? not used to you not posting for months on this forum. hope everything is ok?

Well little miss vanilla has attittude and doesn't recognize us as the pack leaders it seems, so I eneded up calling in a dog behaviorist to assist us as we were literally just at aloss and nothing we tried was working. She will just for no reason, attack my hubby. Now Daniel is usually a good sport but if we are in the living room at the same time, she will attack him. After this becoming more and more frequent, was when we decided we needed professional help. It's been a week, and we're working on the issues. She attacked yesterday and didn't back down, but he did all the right things in response, which is basically standing ground, making this sound that while it is a word, it sounds like what an alpha dog would make. She went straight to her crate when he stood up, but didn't back down. I think this is about the point we are suppose to be experiencing resistance, so we'll see in next weeks meeting what the behaviorist says.
    On the other hand she is walking on leash really well, right beside up on the right hand side.
    Still working on not going to door and responding to door knocking or doorbell and boundaries.

So that is exhausting let me tell ya. Who knew. Mostly it is due to her personality. There is a lot to be said for calm and laid bad dogs. That is Not vanillas style though.

It doesn't help that I am in charge of like a kajillion projects at work, each worse than other it seems. In fact they are hiring two contract positions to cover my regular schedule and free me up for more project work. So that isn't good and now I have VP's coming by making jokes because I told them if they kept giving me these kinds of projects they might as well install a defib near my desk, as sure will have a heart attack. Funny but not, the stress is really high.

I'd rather just be concentrating on vanillas issues, but instead it is hard to fit enough time in with her, and maybe that is the issue too.

Anyway, so awesome to see you all.. Iris, mcdavis! Long time no talk, how are things with you guys?
    I know, i'm about a year late in my responses ack!
    Last edited by molly muffin; 04-27-2019 at 09:20 PM. Reason: spelling
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)

Lovely to hear from you Sharlene. I pop in from time to time to see how things are going and was wondering how Vanilla was doing. It looks like you have a few challenges but are getting them resolved

For us, well Henry is now 6 but still behaving like he's 6 months old. People are usually shocked when we say how old he is, as he is extremely lively!
    Last edited by mcdavis; 05-19-2019 at 10:40 PM.

HI ALL!!!!

It always amazes me how much time passes between my visits here. I am concerned that time is flying by way to quickly as I get older.
    Vanilla is now 2 years and 4 months now and she is doing much better, especially with Daniel. It is more how we interact with her that was the issue, and now both of them are doing so much better and nothing makes me happier than to see those two cuddle together on the couch watching tv or having a nap. (Vanilla is a big tv watcher)

We have to work on dog to dog interactions still. That's on my to do list.

I have some concerns after taking a new position at work, that I'll now be away longer during the day. I don't like to have to crate her for that long, even though she has a condo crate big enough for a german sherpherd and she is just a 10 lb little dog, but still I don't want to have to do that. I have 3 weeks to figure out what I'm going to do for the day time. Question is how much trouble will she get in if left to roam freely. LOL she can find a LOT of trouble, that girl.

Anyway, she is doing great, which is the main thing. I hope this finds everyone doing well too. One of our friends called her Molly last night and my heart sure did a little ping at the mention of mollys name. I still miss her and always will, but vanilla was a great addition after the heart break of mollys loss.
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)

So glad to see you Sharlene! It seems that Vanilla has Daniel right where she wants him to be. Keep in touch, okay?
    Kathy and Angel Buddy. The mightiest of all lizard hunters!

Quote Originally Posted by molly muffin View Post
    HI ALL!!!!
    I have some concerns after taking a new position at work, that I'll now be away longer during the day. I don't like to have to crate her for that long, even though she has a condo crate big enough for a german sherpherd and she is just a 10 lb little dog, but still I don't want to have to do that. I have 3 weeks to figure out what I'm going to do for the day time. Question is how much trouble will she get in if left to roam freely. LOL she can find a LOT of trouble, that girl.
    Hey Sharlene! It’s so great to hear how well Vanilla is doing, especially with Daniel :-)))).

As far as crating her all during the day, would it be possible for you to construct a larger “corral” for her in one of the rooms that’s most comfortable or familiar to her? During puppy-stage with all our Labs, we’ve done this with sturdy wire exercise pens. But for a little girl like Vanilla, I’m betting you could contain her with some of the nice, lighter weight plastic pens. I think you can adjust the size of some of the ex-pens by adding or subtracting panels so you could make it as big as you’d like. If she likes holing up in her crate, you can put it inside the corral with the door open so she can freely go in and out. You can also set up a dog bed, water, toys, pee pads if needed, etc. All the comforts of home!

This is just a thought, but it worked very well for us during the hours that we were at work or otherwise away from home for longer times. Gosh, just thinking about it takes me down memory lane when my own babies were truly babies...!

Anyway, good luck with whatever you decide, and we’ll surely welcome another update whenever you can rejoin us once again.

Marianne