Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Our newest family member - Vanilla

Default Our newest family member - Vanilla

It took us a while to reach that point of yes we are ready to welcome another member to the family, but it came finally and we now have a lovely little munchkin named Vanilla. I just call her Nilla most of the time. As Addy said, it's a mouth full when you are saying it constantly (like very 5 seconds as she is into everything)

She is 11 months old now, and a puppy mill survivor. She was adopted twice and each time returned, she is a hand full that's for sure. She was set to be euthanized, when the rescue I got her from pulled her from the shelter and now she is ours.

She bites at our fingers when she playing (mouthing) which we need to stop and will nip at you when you pick her up or move her and she doesn't want to be moved. Those things we have to nip in the bud as soon as possible so she doesn't inadvertently hurt someone. She doesn't try to bite, but I don't want it to get to that either. She is super stubborn and pushes her limits to see what she can get away with. So you have to be strong, because that little face, she just could get away with anything if you don't have your own stubbornness to back you up.

On the other hand, she loves all people and wants to be picked up and gives kisses and cuddles with abundance. She is the most loving dog I think I've very had. She curls up and puts her face in your neck and just goes to sleep or watches you. She is so very affectionate, it just makes the heart grow.

She isn't house trained, so we are working on that too. It is hard to do that successfully as I'm at work so much, but we're trying. We'll probably have training sessions soonish.

She is aggressive to dogs, and from what I can tell, its out of fear. She is terrified of some dogs and will try to climb your leg to get away from them. (big labadoodle puppys for one) and smaller dogs she tries to intimidate herself. I was told she may never play with other dogs. Well, pffft she is now friends with my friends cockapoo Coco and they play fine, although we are taking it very slow. Coco is easy going so the perfect dog for Vanilla to learn to play with and walk with. I think she would love to be friends with all dogs as that Is her base personality but she gets scared. The puppy mill had small dogs and large dogs and I have heard nothing good. This is at least the 2nd dog from that puppy mill that has ended up in the rescue I got vanilla from and I'm wondering about my molly, as she came from the same area of Quebec and had some of these same issues when we got her.

We both just love Vanilla to pieces. She is our baby for sure. I know as she is with us longer, that she will become more adjusted. So in 6 months or a year, we'll see where she is at. I can't imagine how anyone could have given her up and even considered killing her. I'm so glad she is ours now. She will never have to be afraid again.

Speaking of afraid, I'm curious about how she'll be in a thunderstorm but so far she has had no anxiety about anything noise related. Other than she doesn't like to hear dogs barking at night outside on our walks. She will head for the front door as fast as she can. A car engine, or siren, rain storms and she doesn't even flinch.

And she likes car rides just fine. Lays down and chills out.

Vanilla is actually the one we tried for first and it took so long and they didn't respond right away, so we didn't think we'd get her and applied for two others. We were approved for all 3, and went with Vanilla the first one we applied for. (yes we were straight with the other rescue that we had already applied for Vanilla but there were over 100 applications for her we found out) So they were understanding when we told them of our decision.

I know this post was kind of all over the place. Trying to put thoughts together as my toes are being licked.

You can see pictures of her in her new album
    http://www.k9cushings.com/forum/album.php?albumid=1245

I actually posted these a few days ago, before I got around to writing this post introducing her.

Kathy you said a diva in the making on the picture comment... I think so. Molly will always be the queen of diva though. hahahah this might be the princess of diva, we'll see how it plays out.
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)

Default Re: Our newest family member - Vanilla

Oh Sharlene, this says it all!

We both just love Vanilla to pieces. She is our baby for sure. I know as she is with us longer, that she will become more adjusted. So in 6 months or a year, we'll see where she is at. I can't imagine how anyone could have given her up and even considered killing her. I'm so glad she is ours now. She will never have to be afraid again.
    “She will never have to be afraid again.” That just brings tears to my eyes. I am so happy for you all three, and I am looking forward to a lifetime of stories about our new little K9C baby girl!! Congrats to us all ;-))))))))))

Sharlene, CONGRATULATION and welcome to the family, Vanilla! OMG, she is absolutely adorable. You can't look at that face and not go "awww". I have no doubt she will have you wrapped around her paw very quickly. LOL She looks to have quite a bit of Maltese in her dna.

Sharlene! I am so happy for you! I'm crying tears of happiness. What wonderful news to wake up to this morning .

All of mine used to mouth when they were puppies. I know that's a no-no, but I always let them (I happened to love it!). Sibbie is the only one who didn't. Now she does this nibble thing on my wrist or hand, very gently like she's eating an ear of corn.

I love the name you've given her. I haven't seen the pictures, but I will look as soon as I am done with this post.

I'm sure that Nilla will feel safe and loved with you and Daniel! How could she not??

Love to you and your new baby!
    Joan, mom to my Angel Lena, Angel Gable, Angel Phoenix, Angel Doree, Cooper, Sibble, and now Raina.

Our three were all super mouthy as young ‘uns, too. Barkis was our first, and he was our worst. Instead of Baby Barkis, we’d call him Baby Sharkis cuz of those little needle teeth!!!! He was aggressive and persistent enough that my hands and arms got fairly torn up to begin with. We were just learning how to train a puppy, and it definitely took some time. But we all lived through it and he grew up to be a perfect gentleman.

Nilla looks so darn cute I don’t know how I’d get anything done while I was at home — all I’d want to do is cuddle with her!

Vanilla needs a nickname just like her big sister, Molly Muffin. I'm thinking NILLA WAFERS!!!
    So glad you have found each other!!
    Kathy and Angel Buddy. The mightiest of all lizard hunters!

Welcome to our family, Nilla!!!!!

Welcome home, 'Nilla!

Sharlene, congrats to you, Daniel and all who will be blessed to know this little doll! She couldn't have had better luck...tho from what I can tell this is more a case of "meant to be".
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

welcome here vanilla. another diva.
    it is very rare for a puppy mill to give up on a young female like her.
    do you know why the puppy mill gave her up/away instead of making $$$$$ out of her?
    most of the time they want to breed their females i guess.
    luckily vanilla ended up with you.

Hello again, no I don't know why they gave her up. I know she does this twitchy thing with her back sometimes, but I don't know why. She was given a clean bill of health when the rescue got her spayed. Actually this puppy mill has a LOT of dogs and not in good conditions (are they ever) small dogs, big dogs, it's a mess from what I hear.

She is coming a long nicely. We are getting the mouthy thing under control better now and working on the house training. She really is adorable! Even though she is super awesome already, she is going to be even more so as she grows older. I just know it, can see it.

Kathy, we call her Nilla and Nilla Bean for Vanilla Bean.

Glynda I thought at first she had maltese too, but then I met a maltese on our walks and now I don't think so. Her papers say two different things, shihtzu/poodle and llhaso/poodle. either way, she's cute and loveable.

You know an interesting thing I was reading was that both shih tzu and poodles are Known for getting cushings. Well we Know that they seem to get it a lot, but I hadn't seen a web site on dog breeds saying that before. I don't remember which site it was either, one of mixed dog breed health risks is all I can remember.

She absolutely takes all my time when I'm not working. When she wants your attention she will bark at you, and has tries to prevent you from doing whatever it is you are doing till you play with her.
    Last night she didn't want to go to bed, and jumped on the couch with daniel, snuggled real close to his body and tried to pretend she had gone to sleep so as to stay up with him. It didn't work but kudos to her for trying.

Now I have to figure out where to board her at as we are going to Paris for two weeks. The rescue lady might be able to take her but she has a VERY difficult puppy mill breeding female, not small and that dog is really difficult. I mean really, she growls, barks, and will just crap and pee and try to bite you if you get near her. The foster mom is taking a one month break so she is going to the rescue lady's house, and neither her nor I want Vanilla in her company until she (the breeding girl, Alfie) settles down. Vanilla is aggressive to other dogs still (she has her bestie Coco but other dogs she will go at) so don't really want her in a full free play type situation that can get out of hand. I'm trying to figure that out now.
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)