Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Yukon, American Eskimo - Experience w/ Lignans and Melatonin?

Default Re: Melatonin & Flax Hull Lignan

Not at all uncommon for them to feel a bit off the beam after the ACTH. It is a stimulation test that causes the release of cortisol. He should be better soon.
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Quote Originally Posted by Squirt's Mom View Post
    Not at all uncommon for them to feel a bit off the beam after the ACTH. It is a stimulation test that causes the release of cortisol. He should be better soon.
    Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to update you on Yukon's situation. I did a second STIM test with my regular vet (University of Tennessee adrenal panel) to recheck all Yukon's Hormone levels and he still does not have elevated cortisol, and his other hormones got a little better.

He does not have high estradiol anymore, only Androstenedione and 17OH Progesterone. I am hoping that is because I was treating with the flax hull lignans and melatonin. We are off the Melatonin now because it could create insulin resistance, so I have put him on the Lignans twice a day an hour after his insulin injection.

I am not sure if I should try to treat him with Lysodren and he obviously cannot take Vetoryl because that increases the two hormone levels that are already high. Is there anything else that anyone knows of that can reduce the two hormones that Yukon is showing as high?

Thanks,

it is the combination lignans and melatonin that help control the intermediate hormones. One without the other will not do the trick and you will probably find the ones that have lowered rising again. Lysodren can control all those intermediates with the possible exception of estradiol. Lyso works ONLY on the adrenal glands and estradiol can be produced outside the adrenals in some rather odd places like hair follicles to name one. So as long as the estradiol is produced by the adrenals the Lyso will help with it as well but any of that hormone produced elsewhere the drug can't reach.
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

That's awesome that those hormones have come down, especially the estradiol as it can be difficult to get normalized. How are Yukon's symptoms? And is his BG controlled?

You're doing a great job!

Lori

Quote Originally Posted by Harley PoMMom View Post
    That's awesome that those hormones have come down, especially the estradiol as it can be difficult to get normalized. How are Yukon's symptoms? And is his BG controlled?

You're doing a great job!

Lori
    Hi Lori,

Thanks I am really trying. Yukon is going pretty good, he does not have a pot belly anymore, but I do notice his hair shedding a little more since I discontinued the melatonin. His BG is getting lower - it stays around 300 with drops down to the 200's.

As long as he is acting good I am OK with it - he turned 14 on January 9, 2019.

Quote Originally Posted by YukiesMom View Post

As long as he is acting good I am OK with it - he turned 14 on January 9, 2019.
    Happy belated Birthday, Yukon!!!

Happy belated 14th Birthday, Yukon!

and many more!!

Default Cushings/Diabetes BUN & Creatinine Elevated

Yukon has had Atypical Cushings for a couple years and was diagnosed one year ago with diabetes as well. We finally got his diabetes regulated the last month or so and he is pretty much gone blind but he's doing pretty good considering the circumstances.

I just had his 6 month blood work done and his BUN and Creatinine are elevated. My vet thinks he has a G.I. bleed from the Cushing's and that's what's causing the numbers to be elevated.

She said red and white blood cells and heart are fine. Has anyone heard of this with Cushing's? I just thought when those two things were elevated it was a sign of kidney problems. His urine in the morning is very concentrated which is good.
    Last edited by YukiesMom; 09-24-2019 at 07:48 PM. Reason: Double typed paragraph

Default Re: Cushings/Diabetes BUN & Creatinine Elevated

First, I have merged your latest post into Yukon's original thread. We like to keep all posts about each pup in ONE place. That way it is easier to keep up with the history. You may want to bookmark this thread so you can find it in the future.

I am a bit confused....has Yukon definitely been diagnosed with Cushing's? In Jan of this year the UTK test still does not support a diagnosis of Cushing's because the cortisol was still normal. Has there been more testing since? Concentrated urine does not typically happen with a cush pup; their urine is usually quite dilute.

As for a GI bleed caused by Cushing's - personally I don't remember that happening in any pups here but it is a possibility. HOWEVER the dog needs to have Cushing's before it can cause anything and that has not been clarified so far. Was any vomiting involved?

Elevated BUN and Creatinine used to be the only guidelines we had for kidney disease in dogs. These values did not let us know there was a problem until something like 75% of kidney function was lost. Now there is a new test called the SDMA that catches kidney disease MUCH earlier. If this condition is a consideration I would demand the SDMA asap.

Default Re: Cushings/Diabetes BUN & Creatinine Elevated

The last test we had done his cortisol was still within range but all the other sex hormones were elevated. Since he was diagnosed with diabetes we have been trying to regulate that. I finally got that somewhat regulated and it seems like he's back to all the cushings symptoms. Heavy panting, heavy shedding, drinking tons of water and increased appetite. I am wondering if maybe the cortisol is now going up and he's in full blown Cushing's and that's why all the readings came out high.

Maybe I should have another ACTH test done. But I will suggest that other test SDMA to my vet. I have noticed the last month his back legs are really getting weak and they seem to be falling down and he has no control of them sometimes he just slips down.
    Last edited by YukiesMom; 09-25-2019 at 08:05 PM. Reason: Typos