Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Yukon, American Eskimo - Experience w/ Lignans and Melatonin?

Default Yukon Sneezing and Changing

Hi Everyone,

So Yukon has been sneezing constantly the last couple weeks so I took him to the Vet and she checked him out and said that he might just have a virus. A couple days later I started seeing yellow/green mucous coming out of one nostril so she put him on azythromycin and it started to make him a little sick. I took him off the antibiotic after 5 days because of this. He normally has a great appetite because of the Cushings, bu the last 3-4 days he picks at his food and at least once a day doesn't eat it all. It makes it hard because he has diabetes too.

I also noticed the last week or so he is really having weakness in his hind legs. He stands with his legs almost going down to the ground, but he walks fine. He has a hard time now getting up one set of stairs suddenly. We are afraid he is going to fall down them so we pick him up.

I am going to go to the vet this week and get some blood work done, but has anyone had these issues with sneezing, lethargy and decreased appetite? I am really getting worried.

Default Re: Cushings/Diabetes BUN & Creatinine Elevated

Quote Originally Posted by YukiesMom View Post
    The last test we had done his cortisol was still within range but all the other sex hormones were elevated. Since he was diagnosed with diabetes we have been trying to regulate that. I finally got that somewhat regulated and it seems like he's back to all the cushings symptoms. Heavy panting, heavy shedding, drinking tons of water and increased appetite. I am wondering if maybe the cortisol is now going up and he's in full blown Cushing's and that's why all the readings came out high.

Maybe I should have another ACTH test done. But I will suggest that other test SDMA to my vet. I have noticed the last month his back legs are really getting weak and they seem to be falling down and he has no control of them sometimes he just slips down.
    Hello again. You’ll see that I’ve merged your post into your original thread about Yukie. Also, I’m quoting above the reply you posted back in September in order to give us a little summary as to where things stood then. I see that as far back as last fall you were seeing increasing weakness in his rear legs. Did that end up stabilizing again for a while and is now worsening again, or has it remained pretty consistent as a problem during these past few months? Did you end up having any blood work done back then?

As far as the sneezing and nasal discharge, my best guess would also be some sort of infection. It’s indeed frustrating that antibiotics can often cause GI upsets, and I sure do understand why that’s especially a problem for a diabetic. However, if you stopped the course of antibiotics before it was finished, the infection may still be active. If Yukie is still sneezing and not feeling perky, that seems likely to me. As far as the continuing lack of appetite, I really don’t know aside from the possibility that he’s just generally feeling unwell from the infection.

I definitely think it’s a good idea to have him checked out again by the vet this week, and some bloodwork run. And if needed, perhaps he could be given a different antibiotic this time around — one that won’t upset his stomach as much. Please let us know what you find out, OK?

Marianne

Quote Originally Posted by labblab View Post
    Hello again. You’ll see that I’ve merged your post into your original thread about Yukie. Also, I’m quoting above the reply you posted back in September in order to give us a little summary as to where things stood then. I see that as far back as last fall you were seeing increasing weakness in his rear legs. Did that end up stabilizing again for a while and is now worsening again, or has it remained pretty consistent as a problem during these past few months? Did you end up having any blood work done back then?

As far as the sneezing and nasal discharge, my best guess would also be some sort of infection. It’s indeed frustrating that antibiotics can often cause GI upsets, and I sure do understand why that’s especially a problem for a diabetic. However, if you stopped the course of antibiotics before it was finished, the infection may still be active. If Yukie is still sneezing and not feeling perky, that seems likely to me. As far as the continuing lack of appetite, I really don’t know aside from the possibility that he’s just generally feeling unwell from the infection.

I definitely think it’s a good idea to have him checked out again by the vet this week, and some bloodwork run. And if needed, perhaps he could be given a different antibiotic this time around — one that won’t upset his stomach as much. Please let us know what you find out, OK?

Marianne
    Thanks Marianne - his back legs started doing a little better and then the last couple months I have noticed he seems to be dropping down in the rear end when he stands for a long time and then has to sit down eventually. I am actually going to order one of those Assisi Loops to see if that helps.

I will definitely keep you posted. Of course, I always think the worst case scenario and what keeps running through my mind is that possibly the pituitary gland tumor is getting larger and obstructing his sinuses. My vet of course wants me to go to an emergency clinic and get a rhinoscopy, but I just can't justify spending the money as of now.

So now I did Yukons blood work he has pancreatitis but the thing that throws me off more than anything is that the doctor said now his Cushing's might be causing a low cortisol that would be Addison's disease. He has diabetes as well and I only have him on the Flaxhull Lignans.

How can a dog go from Cushing's to Addison's?

Good to hear from you again but sorry to hear Yukon has pancreatitis. I hope he is soon well and back on his feet. As for Cushing's causing Addison's, I've never heard nor read of any such thing...but I could be wrong; I don't claim to be an expert. If the dog were on treatment then an overdose of the med, Vetoryl/Trilostane or Lysodren/Mitotane, could cause an Addison's crisis (not permanent) or true Addison's (permanent) by driving the cortisol too low and damaging the adrenal glands. Lignans doesn't have that ability at all to my knowledge. There is always the possibility that the Cushing's was a misdiagnosis in the first place but I think you would have seen signs of low cortisol long before now if that were the case with Yukon.

What caused the vet to say such a thing? Did they do an ACTH or are you seeing signs of Addison's? Signs may include weakness, depression, lack of appetite, vomiting, diarrhea, and occasionally increased thirst (polydipsia) and increased urine production (polyuria). Clinical exams may find dehydration, weak pulses and sometimes a slow, irregular heart rate. Lab work might show an increase in CREA and BUN, low GLUC, changes in WBC, increased potassium, decreased aldosterone, and dilute urine. BUT pancreastitis can throw a great many lab results out of whack so with this condition in play I wouldn't trust any diagnostics tests for either Cushing's or Addison's right now. Once Yukon is over the pancreatitis then you can take a look if needed.

Please let us know how he is doing!
    Hugs,
    Leslie
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.