Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New Diagnosis and 7 day update

Default Re: New Diagnosis and 7 day update

Very glad to hear that Macie is doing better. We'll be interested to see what the numbers are now.
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)

OK - she has now completed two rounds of ACTH Stim testing since starting Vetoryl. The first, on April 3rd: Baseline 5.5, Therapeutic Monitoring 6.0. Second testing completed on April 17th: Baseline 5.3, Therapeutic Monitoring 7.0.
    Next testing is scheduled for July 17th so no changes are prescribed at this time based on her numbers and overall appearance. She is on 15mg Vetoryl 1X daily and seems to be doing really well. Energy levels are coming back as is rear leg strength. Dr is very pleased with how she has responded to the medicine and will be doing another full blood panel in July just to keep an eye on all other pertinent levels.
    Last edited by my2sons; 04-18-2018 at 04:01 PM.

Seeing that her symptoms are still improving those ACTH numbers are great!!! Crossing fingers that this trend continues!!

Lori

Glad to hear Macie is doing well. Considering that is the case, the numbers are very good and she is maintaining well.
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)

Hello everyone. Just wanted to provide another update. Macie has been on Vetoryl since March 20th and she is doing really well. We have also added a daily treat of Dasuquin. Her appetite has leveled some, drinking is way down and her energy level is much improved. We have added Vital Pet Fresh dog food to her dry kibble which she seems to love. She still struggles with jumping up onto chairs, etc. but seems to be very content for us to "give her a lift" when she wants up! Her walks have become a little more regular and she shows great excitement and enthusiasm when family and friends visit. Except for the thinned hair, you would not know she has anything wrong.

While I do not know the long term prognosis, for now, we are pleased with her progress. I share this for one main reason - if your pup is diagnosed with Cushing's don't fret, there is help. While the medicine will not cure Cushing's, it can definitely make the disease tolerable and give your little one a renewed lease on life. It is not a death sentence if you catch it early, have a proactive vet and are committed to the treatment.

I will update after her July doctor visit. Good luck to all that are working through this and those that will eventually find this site looking for answers.

What a great update and thanks for coming back and letting us know how Macie is doing!

Hello all - hope this message finds you all well and progressing through life with Cushing's. We have been at this now for almost five months. All in all, Macie is doing really well. I have been trying to move her to a more natural diet, but she seems to just really love her dry kibble mixed with a bit of wet. We did try Fresh Pet Select refrigerated food but she just didn't seem to care for it. Anyway, she will get what she likes with as much natural as she will tolerate. Her hair is still thin, but I suppose I should not expect a great deal of growth this time of the year. Her energy level is back to normal and daily walks have resumed which she just loves. We have noticed her skin is definitely darker in places and is flaky. Does anyone have any recommendations for the flaking skin? Medicated shampoo or other diet related ideas? I hear fish oil is good for this. Anyway, just wanted to give a quick update. She goes back in for her 6 month ACTH test in July and I will provide an update at that time.

Happy 4th of July to all and thank you for your thoughts, time, recommendations and support. As my vet said, we got this!

Another great update! Happy 4th to you and Macie!
    Joan, mom to my Angel Lena, Angel Gable, Angel Phoenix, Angel Doree, Cooper, Sibble, and now Raina.

Hair and skin issues related to Cushing's can take a long while to improve but I see no problem with adding a fish oil supplement, however I would definitely confer with the vet about this first.

Lori

Thanks Lori - just a bit more information one more question. So before the diagnosis and as late as 4 weeks ago, Macie showed no signs of skin issues except for some dark patches. I was surprised to see skin issues appearing after being on Vetoryl for 4 full months. She now has a lot of flaking skin and some small, what appear to be, pimples or blisters. Any thoughts or experience with skin issues appearing AFTER being on the medication for a while? FWIW, I moved her 6 month Cushing's treatment vet appointment up a week as I don't want the skin issues to get worse if we can stop it. Thanks in advance!