Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: New Diagnosis and 7 day update

Default Re: New Diagnosis and 7 day update

I would add melatonin to the lignans if it were me. Melatonin is known to promote hair growth plus the Atypical form of Cushing's is treated by that combination - melatonin plus lignnans. Atypical Cushing's a form in which the cortisol is normal but 2 or more of the intermediate, or sex, hormones are elevated. One of those hormones is estradiol. Unlike the other hormones involved in Atypical, estradiol can be produced outside the adrenal glands and this combination can reach outside the adrenal glands. It is believed that conventional Cushing's with elevated cortisol also includes elevations in the intermediate hormones. So I would add the melatonin. You want plain melatonin - not extended release, rapid release, etc.....just plain ole melatonin. The dosage for melatonin is 3mg/2x/day for dogs under 30 lbs and 6mg/2x/day for dogs over 30 lbs.

There are two types of lignans used to treat these hormones - from flax (SDG) and from spruce (HMR). The dose for SDG lignans is 1mg/lb/day; for HMR lignans the dose is 10-40mg/day...for smaller dogs you want closer to 10mg, for larger dogs the dose is higher. Lignans can cause diarrhea so you want to start with a lower dose and increase gradually.

This combination takes at least 4 months to work so I wouldn't expect much to have changed in 60 days.

I'm glad everything else seems to be good for Macie!
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Thanks so much for this update. That’s reassuring that Macie’s cortisol level is within the desired range. And yes, it’ll be interesting to see whether the lignans helps. Our experience here has been variable in that regard. Some dogs with hormonal imbalance gain some degree of symptom relief, but definitely not all. And it can take quite some time to see improvement even when it occurs. One question: did the dermatologist discuss treating with melatonin in addition to the lignans? Most dogs here have been prescribed those two supplements in combination. I’ll come back later and add a link that will discuss the dual treatment in more detail.

Marianne

P.S. Aha! I see that Leslie and I were posting at the same time. I’m really glad she’s stepped in because she is much more experienced than I am with the lignans/melatonin combo ;-).
    Last edited by labblab; 04-14-2020 at 09:04 AM. Reason: To add P.S.

Thank you both for your input. Macie was on melatonin for about 10 months prior to starting the lignans. We did not see any change in hair growth or loss. She has not been on the combination of the two at the same time. BTW, she is taking 40mg HMR lignans once a day and still on 20 mg Vetoryl once daily.

Hello all after nearly a year! Sorry for the long absence, but I am hear to report that little Ms Macie is doing just great. She had her last STIM test on 3/18 and her pre and post numbers were 2.2 and 1.9 respectively. Also worth noting is her hair growth has re-started and I am pretty sure it is due to the addition of Dr Mercola Hormone Support given twice daily. Even though her cortisol levels have been totally under control, I was still concerned about the hair loss so I took her to a veterinary dermatologist who suspected a hormone imbalance. After doing some research, I came across the Dr Mercola Hormone Support and it has made a very noticeable difference. I believe that any help you can give to dogs with Cushing's to strengthen their adrenal and hormone system is a plus. I have also include Dinovite into her daily feeding as well as fish oil. Not sure if this is doing anything but her coat is definitely softer. So, all in all, we are now three years into this journey and I can happily say she is doing great. You would never think she is 13! Hope everyone is doing well and your pups are enjoying another spring season. Take care!

Thanks so much for the wonderful update!! I'm very happy to hear that Macie is doing so well!!!! You're doing a great job with Ms Macie!!!

Great update!
    Joan, mom to my Angel Lena, Angel Gable, Angel Phoenix, Angel Doree, Cooper, Sibble, and now Raina.

How wonderful to hear from you and Macie and especially with such good news! I hope the next three years continue along this same line....tho I hope we get to hear from you before those 3 years are behind us! I always love to hear about pups who are having an easy time with treatment...it does the heart good. So thank you so much for stopping by to update us.

Hugs,
    Leslie
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Hello again all. Hope your summer has been going well. While I do not have a medical update or a new STIM test to provide the results of, I thought I would just check in and let everyone know that Macie is doing great and has retained all the hair growth I reported in my last post. I am 100% convinced it is due to the Dr Mercola Hormone Support that we have been giving her twice a day since March. She is as spritely as ever and just a happy girl. Hope this brightens your day and gives you encouragement if you are new to the Cushing"s journey.

Welcome back, and thanks so much for this great update on Macie! Absolutely it cheers us all to read such happy and hopeful news. I am not familiar with the hormone support supplement that you’re using, but upon Googling it, I see that it contains melatonin, lignans, and another active ingredient. At any rate and no matter what the cause, we’re delighted to hear that Macie is doing so well! Keep up the good work, and we’ll look forward to your next report.

Continued best wishes,
    Marianne

Thank you for posting about the supplement!! I am going to try it for my dog Jet. He is on the Vetoryl but I figured this can't hurt. I will of course check with my vet.
    Many thanks for posting this!!