Thread: newly diagnosed

Default newly diagnosed

Hello, my name is Catherine and I have a 10 year old Border Terrier who has just been diagnosed with Cushings Disease. Unfortunately she has other issues, Spikes disease and colitis and has been unwell today so not sure if the tablets have caused her to be unwell, she only started her treatment on Friday. She also has started to get blister like spots.was anyone else dog unwell after starting vetoryl and does anyone elses dog get these blisters?

Default Re: newly diagnosed

Hello Catherine — welcome to you and your little girl! I’m very sorry that she’s feeling poorly, and yes, Vetoryl may be the cause depending upon the size of the dose that she’s receiving and/or her individual sensitivity to the medication. When a dog’s cortisol level drops significantly and quickly, various side effects can result including vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy and inappetance. Whenever a dog who is taking Vetoryl becomes ill, for safety’s sake it’s best to withhold the medication until you can consult further with your vet.

Can you tell us more specifically how she’s unwell? Also, it’ll help us to find out more about the symptoms and testing that led to the Cushing’s diagnosis. Finally, can you tell us how much she weighs and also what dose of Vetoryl she’s been taking? All this info will help us offer you better feedback and guidance.

As far as the blisters, there is a particular type of skin lesion called Calcinosis Cutis that can be caused by excessively high cortisol levels. Cushpups can also be more vulnerable to skin infections, in general. We can talk about this in greater detail, but I think your first priority right at the moment will be trying to determine what it is that’s making her ill. So we’ll await further info from you, and then go from there.

Again, I’m sorry you girls are having problems, but very glad you’ve found us!
    Marianne

Default Re: newly diagnosed

Hi Catherine,

Marianne has covered all the important bits but I wanted to drop in to welcome you and your sweet baby girl. I look forward to seeing those test results and learning more about you and your baby.

Hugs,
    Leslie
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.