Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 42

Thread: Confused and scared as to go traditional or alternative?

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    14,347

    Default Re: Help with test result readings

    I only have a moment to post right now, but here’s the link to a chart that will help you interpret Scully’s LDDS results. You’ve not included the “normal” lab range for the 8-hour value, but usually it’s about 1.5 ug/dL. I do believe Scully’s results are consistent with pituitary Cushing’s, because the 8 hour value was larger than 1.5, and the 4 hour value was less than 50% of the baseline value. Here’s that chart:

    http://www.idexx.com.tw/pdf/zh_tw/sm...e-protocol.pdf

    I went ahead and merged your new post into your original thread, and I’ll try to return later to write more.

    Marianne

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    York, PA.
    Posts
    10,740

    Default Re: Update on Testing and previous tests

    To treat or not is a very personal decision and one that can only be made by the pet's owner because only the pet parent knows their dog best. Now, having said all of that, my opinion regarding treatment is; The goal of treatment is not to cure the disease but rather to help control those bothersome symptoms and get that superabundant supply of cortisol down within the therapeutic ranges, so when a dog does not have strong clinical Cushing's symptoms initiating treatment is usually not recommended.

    Your vet is correct that most dogs get into trouble when their dose is too high so starting low and going slow is the best route. Safe and effective treatment is also dependent on the proper protocols being followed, that the dog is monitored appropriately, and "owner observation" is always a crucial component of treatment.

    If you decide to start treatment with Vetoryl, I think 30 mg would be a reasonable dose for Scully even though she weighs 67 lbs. And many vets are foregoing the ACTH stimulation test at that 10-14 day window and testing instead at the 30 day mark, unless the dog presents symptoms of being unwell or not acting right. It does sound like your vet is on top of things and has some experience managing dogs with Cushing's but one should have a vet that is willing to work with them and will really listen to what the pet parent has to say, is Scully's vet a team player?

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    21

    Default Re: Update on Testing and previous tests

    Retalked to vet again later same evening and feel better.

    Gonna start at 30 mg and stay that way for at least 1 month is she is doing okay on.

    Gonna retest in 2 weeks just regular chemistry and then in 1 month stem test and will choose then based on results whether to increase the dose.

    Just scared but wanna do right by her as she will only turn 8 this April.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    14,347

    Default Re: Update on Testing and previous tests

    I think this sounds like a great gameplan! Be sure to ask us any questions that come up, but I’m betting she’ll do just fine. You can always stop the medication if there are any problems, but this way you’ll know you’re giving her the chance to get better. Keep updating us often, OK?

    Marianne

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    21

    Default Re: Update on Testing and previous tests

    Thank you!

    Will do!

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    21

    Default Re: Update on Testing and previous tests

    Scully started 30 mg of Vetoryl and she eats early at 4:30 am and ate and took pill and went back to bed.

    Weird schedule is because my mom goes to work that early and she has always ate then.

    Maybe not so bad as going back to bed with myself she might had slept off any weird changes.

    Got up and it snowed where I live and went out in yard and checked everything out and seems okay so far.

    She ate lunch as usual and has not panted as much today but at times seems a bit tired but guessing normal as body adjusts to meds.

    One day at a time and will go back to vet in 2 weeks for just normal blood work and then back again in 1 month if everything is okay and do stem test.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    21

    Default Re: Update on Testing and previous tests

    Sorry I have been absent, bad storms and computer got fried.
    Hopefully will be getting new one up and running this weekend.

    So far so good but notice as the day wears on that symptoms return.
    Still on 30 mg and gets it in morning and usually holds off panting and peeing all day.

    She starts panting late afternoon and it seems after she eats dinner it settles back down but drinking returns and peeing.

    Will go in 2 weeks for electrolytes checked and in 1 month retest cortisol.

    Thinking she may be working towards twice per day dose?

    She for most part seems okay but did have another spell and still seems to be a debate as to whether it is a seizure or not?

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    16,142

    Default Re: Update on Testing and previous tests

    She is getting her dose once a day? There are some dogs who do better on a split dose treatment. Instead of 30 mg once a day, she would get 15mg in the morning with food and 15mg in the evening with food. So that might be something to talk to vet about if she continues to have symptoms returning in the evening.
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    21

    Default Re: Update on Testing and previous tests

    I had to ask if anyone else noticed a strange issue on th skin of there dogs nose?

    It is like her skin is coming off?

    We go back to vet next week for electrolytes check which will be official 2 weeks on Veteroly.

    She is still on 30 mg once per day.

    Seems okay and good days and bad days but thinking that is typical with this condition and medication.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Glen Cove, NY
    Posts
    1,682

    Default Re: Update on Testing and previous tests

    That could be a sign of high blood pressure. Lena had the dry nose, too.
    Joan, mom to my Angel Lena, Doree, Gable, Cooper, Angel Phoenix and now Sibble.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •