Thread: New Here, With Newly Diagnosed Dog

Default New Here, With Newly Diagnosed Dog

Hi everyone,
    I'm new on here and my dog has recently been diagnosed with Cushing's, trying to learn as much as I can about it. My dog who is a 10 year old Yorkie was diagnosed last Wednesday and the vet has put him on 10mg a day Vetoryl. We agreed with her to tread very cautiously as he has had health issues since a pup with Generalised allergies and IBS as a result of this. Anyway, the reason we are going cautiously is due to the fact that when he has meds for other things he can seem very sensitive to them or reject them completely (reacts in some way which usually end up in them having to be stopped). He weighs 3.7kg and as yet is showing no positive improvements or negative to the vetoryl. I just wondered if anyone could give me any ideas on how long it takes to show any signs of improvement on the Vetoryl?
    Thanks everyone
    Tina

Default Re: New Here, With Newly Diagnosed Dog

Hi Tina, and welcome to you and your little boy! Given his weight (approx. 8 pounds for our U.S. readers), a starting dose of 10 mg. is actually a tiny bit higher than the recommended starting formula of 1 mg. per pound or 2.2 mg. per kg. However, it’s close enough that I would not quibble as long as you’re not seeing any negative effects. As far as awaiting positive effects, it’ll help us if you’ll tell us what symptoms (and testing) led to the Cushing’s diagnosis. Some symptoms are more likely to resolve quickly once a therapeutic dose has been determined; others take more time. So if you’ll share more info about your boy’s specific situation, that’ll give us a good place to start our discussion.

And once again, welcome!
    Marianne

Hi Tina,

Welcome to you and your boy from me as well! As Marianne said, for your boy's weight the 10 mg is a tad higher than what is recommended and given that he does have IBS issues the vet probably should have started him at an even lower dose such as 5 mg.

Did the vet tell you that the Vetoryl has to be given with a meal to be properly absorbed? And those ACTH stimulation test need to be performed 4-6 hour post pill (unless you're doing the pre-pill method). Besides the Vetoryl, is your boy taking any other herbs/supplements/medications? Was he diagnosed with the pituitary or adrenal form of Cushing's? As Marianne said, the more we know about your sweet boy the better our feedback can be.

I'm so sorry for the reasons that brought your here but glad you found us and we will help in any way we can.

Lori

Hi,
    Thanks for your prompt replies. Louis drinks excessively, keeping on for food, then not wanting food on other days, lethargic and very trigger happy at times as if he is on one, sort of frenzied (not biting) but the slightest sounds he over reacts too and goes into one, a bit as if he isn't here! It's as if he over reacts to stimuli now. He has a bit of hair loss, pot belly. Vet has done 2 ACTH tests, Urine, Scan followed by LDDST test. Positive Pituitary. He has always been a dog that doesn't sleep much during the day (although not active!) He is usually always aware and follows us around and usually sits down/ lays down while we are doing anything (but not sleeping) he has also never been a big drinker, so for him to start sleeping during the mornings (sometimes quite heavily, at times he doesn't even realise we have left the room or if he does he just looks and doesn't bother, which is very unusual for him ) The drinking from more or less hardly anything to drinking over 1/2 a litre a day is a lot for him. The Vetoryl I give him with food as the vet instructed. He has had no adverse reaction to the vetoryl which is a relief, but no improvements either, but then he has only been on it 5 to 6 days. Wasn't sure if it was a drug that needed time to build up. Apparently we can't get the 5mg vetoryl here in the UK (the vet receptionist told us!) I'm also a bit concerned because when he goes into one of the frenzied episodes, although it only last a matter of minutes it can't do his heart any good. I presumed these episodes are due to all the cortisol rushing around his body.
    Thanks again Marianne / Lori

Quote Originally Posted by Pupper View Post
    Hi,
    Thanks for your prompt replies. Louis drinks excessively, keeping on for food, then not wanting food on other days, lethargic and very trigger happy at times as if he is on one, sort of frenzied (not biting) but the slightest sounds he over reacts too and goes into one, a bit as if he isn't here! It's as if he over reacts to stimuli now. He has a bit of hair loss, pot belly. Vet has done 2 ACTH tests, Urine, Scan followed by LDDST test. Positive Pituitary. He has always been a dog that doesn't sleep much during the day (although not active!) He is usually always aware and follows us around and usually sits down/ lays down while we are doing anything (but not sleeping) he has also never been a big drinker, so for him to start sleeping during the mornings (sometimes quite heavily, at times he doesn't even realise we have left the room or if he does he just looks and doesn't bother, which is very unusual for him ) The drinking from more or less hardly anything to drinking over 1/2 a litre a day is a lot for him. The Vetoryl I give him with food as the vet instructed. He has had no adverse reaction to the vetoryl which is a relief, but no improvements either, but then he has only been on it 5 to 6 days. Wasn't sure if it was a drug that needed time to build up. Apparently we can't get the 5mg vetoryl here in the UK (the vet receptionist told us!) I'm also a bit concerned because when he goes into one of the frenzied episodes, although it only last a matter of minutes it can't do his heart any good. I presumed these episodes are due to all the cortisol rushing around his body.
    Thanks again Marianne / Lori
    I've been doing a lot of research online and found out the info I was looking for, thanks again for your help x

Hi and welcome to you and Louis,

Do you have access to the test results? We have learned that not all countries will let pet parents have their test results sadly. If you can access those results it would go a long way toward providing us information with which to provide meaningful feedback.

It does sound as if his vet is following protocol as far as telling you to give the drug with food but I am a bit confused about the lack of the 5mg Vetoryl. It was my understanding that the 5mg was available there....in fact the UK was the first place that dose was released. So I would do more checking on that - we often find here that receptionists and techs don't always know as much as they would like you to believe. I would call Dechra, the manufacturer - here is their UK phone #: +44 1939 211200

As for those "frenzy" spells you mention. I have a Pug who has focal seizures that make her act like a feral dog. She does not convulse like you typically think of with seizures because focal seizures can have some very odd signs....like going feral and acting terrified of anyone and everything like my Sophie. Another member here had a pup with focal seizures and when her pup had an episode it would run and run and run til it fell over from exhaustion. There was no test when my Sophie was diagnosed - the diagnosis was based on her repeated episodes and reports of her behaviors from family and the people who tried to help trap her when she would run from her former home (which was not fenced). If I were you I would video these frenzy episodes to show Louis' vet.

I'm glad you found us and look forward to learning more as time passes.
    Hugs,
    Leslie
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Quote Originally Posted by Squirt's Mom View Post
    Hi and welcome to you and Louis,

Do you have access to the test results? We have learned that not all countries will let pet parents have their test results sadly. If you can access those results it would go a long way toward providing us information with which to provide meaningful feedback.

It does sound as if his vet is following protocol as far as telling you to give the drug with food but I am a bit confused about the lack of the 5mg Vetoryl. It was my understanding that the 5mg was available there....in fact the UK was the first place that dose was released. So I would do more checking on that - we often find here that receptionists and techs don't always know as much as they would like you to believe. I would call Dechra, the manufacturer - here is their UK phone #: +44 1939 211200

As for those "frenzy" spells you mention. I have a Pug who has focal seizures that make her act like a feral dog. She does not convulse like you typically think of with seizures because focal seizures can have some very odd signs....like going feral and acting terrified of anyone and everything like my Sophie. Another member here had a pup with focal seizures and when her pup had an episode it would run and run and run til it fell over from exhaustion. There was no test when my Sophie was diagnosed - the diagnosis was based on her repeated episodes and reports of her behaviors from family and the people who tried to help trap her when she would run from her former home (which was not fenced). If I were you I would video these frenzy episodes to show Louis' vet.

I'm glad you found us and look forward to learning more as time passes.
    Hugs,
    Leslie
    Hi Leslie, Yes I've already contacted Dechra in the UK and they said 5mg is unlicensed here, which i thought a bit strange as well!
    Thanks for your help.

Hello again from me. Yes, strangely enough, the 5 mg. capsules are available only outside of the U.K. I have no idea why this has been the case, but it is true. What we’ve been told in the past is that vets can make special application to Dechra U.K. for provision of 5 mg. capsules for an individual dog if there is a specific need and no other dosage will work, but the 5 mg. dose is not available for general sale.

How is Louis doing at this point? Any changes or improvements at all?

Marianne