Thread: Dillon - 11 yo mutt - going through diagnosis process

Default Dillon - 11 yo mutt - going through diagnosis process

Hi everyone! My dog, Dillon, is an 11 year old poodle mix mutt dog that weighs 45 lbs. We noticed increased thirst/hunger and panting, potbelly, not jumping and running as much, etc. We chalked it up to getting a little older until our groomer mentioned he seemed to have a systemic skin issue. I have a vet friend who took a peek and though Cushing's. We took him to the vet for bloodwork and there's a strong indication for Cushings.
    His ALP was over 4600 (no, that's not a typo). The vet we took him to for bloodwork didn't seem very knowledgeable about Cushings...suggested it's treatable, but maybe 1-2 years depending on if it's pituitary or adrenal tumor. We started Dillon on lignans and melatonin and we began to do some research and look into our options.
    We have decided to proceed with the Low dose dex suppression test on Thursday. A forum like this was very helpful to my IVDD dog when my vets seemed less than knowledgeble on that issue, so I'm trying to get as much information as I can about Cushings before the results come back so I'm prepared to ask questions and seek a second opinion if needed!
    So I guess this is just a hello post for now!

Default Re: Dillon - 11 yo mutt - going through diagnosis process

And here’s a return “Hello!” To you and Dillon — we’re so glad you’ve joined us :-).

Dillon’s symptoms certainly do sound consistent with Cushing’s, so I think you’re on the right track by proceeding with a LDDS test. The two-year life expectancy pops up frequently in the literature, but during the fifteen years that I’ve been associated with this group, I’ve witnessed many dogs who have far outlived that prediction, finally succumbing to old age or other health issues. I think that prediction is partially associated with the fact that many dogs are already at least middle-aged at the time they are diagnosed. But individual variations in overall health histories and health issues make a big difference in terms of a dog’s treatment journey. And sometimes it is not necessarily the length of time that treatment will bestow, but instead quality of life, that is the chief goal/benefit.

After having said all that, we’ll be very anxious to hear the results of Dillon’s LDDS testing. One of the advantages of that test is that, in many cases, it can identify whether a pituitary tumor is likely the cause of a “positive” result. As your vet has mentioned, pituitary vs. adrenal Cushing’s can offer certain different treatment options and possible outcomes.

Also, I will jump in here and totally put the cart ahead of the horse by stating that if Dillon does indeed test positive on the LDDS and your vet wants to begin treatment with a medication known as Vetoryl (trilostane), do not agree to start with a dose that is greater than 1 mg. per pound. We’ll explain much more about that in future posts, if appropriate.

OK, I’ll end for now, but once again welcome to you both!
    Marianne

Hi! Welcome to you and Dillon. The only thing I can add to Marianne's post is to ask for copies of all test results for Dillon. Having those in hand can be helpful to refer back to, in case of a situation where Dillon needs to be seen by someone other than his regular vet --- and to answer the inevitable questions we'll have.

I look forward to hearing more about him, and finding out the results of that test today!

Shana
    Mama to Jackson and Kira, and my darling Cushing's angel, Visuddha

Welcome, I also wanted to say hello to you and Dillion. Did you get the resuls of the LDDS back yet?

There will be 3 numbers associated with the test, a pre a 4 hr and a 8 hr result. write down all the results so you can share them with the group here.

Welcome again!
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)