Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Is it cushings or not with our blue - Blue has passed

Default Re: Is it cushings or not with our blue

I just want to reinforce something Marianne posted -

...hypocortisolism can be dangerous
    By "dangerous" that means up to and including death. High cortisol (hypercortisolism or Cushing's) is rarely life threatening. Low cortisol (hypocortisolism or Addison's) IS life threatening. If you see any of the following you cannot wait - you must stop the med and call the vet asap. If it is after hours, contact the closest ER.

loss of appetite
    nausea / vomiting
    loose stool / diarrhea
    lethargy

If you see any of the above you must act quickly. So do keep a very close eye on him especially over the next few weeks since he is out in wild waters with his vet's approach to treatment.

Hugs,
    Leslie
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

If you see the first sign, stop the meds and go get an ACTH okay? We are going to worry ourselves silly until we know everything is fine long term. I know, mother hens, its just what we do . hahaha
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)

quick check in...Blue had his test and the results are looking good.
    cortisol pre acth 2 and cortisol post 3.7
    that's good right?
    thank goodness we are in a good place right now...with him....hope it continues!!! his weight has stayed at 90 lbs.
    hes one expensive pup though! We are doing 60mg trilostane twice a day, as well as his thyroid pill twice a day.

Yes, those results are great as long as Blue is looking and behaving well :-). How long has he been taking the 60 mg. twice a day?

Marianne

A couple of weeks

OK, thanks for the info. If Blue has only been taking this dose for two weeks, do be aware that his cortisol level may continue to drift downward during the first month on any given dose. So you’ll want to remain very watchful for any signs that his cortisol is dropping too low. But we join you in hoping this works out your be the perfect dose for him.

Marianne

hello! hope you are well! I had a quick question. Blue has a dry cough...hack....not constant. started last night. and this morning, and still this afternoon. I initially thought he ate his food too fast. warm dry nose. laying around. but he does that all the time. we are on a wait and see basis, thinking it will get better or worse, right? then we can call the vet if it continues? has anyone had this happen or is it an unrelated issue? thanks for the advice.

Welcome back! Yes, if this continues, I’d contact your vet. I doubt that the cough is Cushing’s-related, but could instead be a symptom of a virus or illness such as canine flu or kennel cough. If so, no special treatment may be required. But I always like to be safe rather than sorry, especially with a weekend coming up.

How’s Blue been doing in terms of his Cushing’s symptoms?

Marianne

If Canine Influenza is present in your area I would get Blue in for testing asap.
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

He has been doing well. Even his hair grew back on his belly. His next test is next week. It's been 6 months. We did leave him for a few days as my son got married in tampa Nov 17. Had a babysitter come stay with him at our house so he wouldn't get so stressed out. He's been a little off since but maybe it's the adjustment of that? We even wonder if he's getting forgetful ? forgets we just fed him ha. Usually a cookie helps. And I can always tell in his eyes when something isn't right. they get glossy and blank stare. Now the cough. So maybe I'm worrying too much. At least I know his test is soon to ease my mind. I'll keep an eye on his cough. Thanks!