Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kali Newly diagnosed-shes anxious-wont sleep-upset tummy-I need help!

Default Re: kalis mom-low fat diet dog food help

HI all, I finally figured out how to get to this thread and responses, thank you all for answering and for your well wishes and ideas. So this is what has and has not been done with Kali. I pushed hard to have her checked for cushings because she had been acting ravenous for months and months, extremely anxious and drinking tons of water, I took in a urine sample and her cortisol level was "slightly high" so they did the ACTH stim test and I was told she was in the "grey area" not too high but questionable for cushings. She does have extremely elevated liver enzymes. She shakes alot of the times when shes laying down. The vet said that elevated liver enzymes can cause the tummy to hurt. She doesnt have the pot belly like Bandit does but all she wants to do is eat and its getting to the point where I think she is even considering eating her poop URGH! I took her to an internal medicine doctor and had an abdominal ultrasound last month and said other than some slight liver edge abnormalities everything looked normal, her adrenals looked normal. Told me to try the Trilostane then we went through the no appetite and diarrhea stage so they had me put her on metronidazole for 2 weeks and told me to hold off on the trilostane. Shes back to normal poop and eating 5 times a day (more if Id let her) Im cooking her food feeding her steamed sweet potatoes, boiled free range chicken breast, with some green leafy veg, ground egg shells. Im considering "justfoodfordogs" Metabolic Food-has anyone used them for food? I know they had a recent recall which Im told is far from ordinary for them. Kali being so picky just doesn't want to eat canned food and has never been a kibble eater. I did try to give her a trilostane the other day and she didnt seem to respond well to it, she was more anxious than usual, she couldnt settle down, I gave her 5mg only half the dose they wanted to give her and she weighs 17lbs. I got nervous and was afraid to give it to her again, I wasnt goign to be home the next day as recently I have had so many doctor appointments that it worries me to start her on something that I cant be here to watch the side effects, it would be great if I was going to be home for 5 days straight to see how it went but it scares me, however if you all input that trilostane helped save your dogs and worked wonders then Im ready to give it a go because Im afraid this (the cushings) is getting worse and I cant loose her. Lately when she gets super excited or anxious and gets on a non carpeted floor she looses her footing and has done a couple of backflips, its likes she cant keep her paws on the ground all together or maybe lift her backs legs? seems to be having problems jumping on furniture at times. Ive considered lignans and melatonin but dont want to waste my time if that treatment doesnt really work and I should go straight to the trilostane, I guess what I need is that gentle push forward, this is so hard to deal with but I love this baby girl and she saved my life so Im not ready to give up on her yet, shes like a toddler all day long HELP!! I have the trilostane in 5mg capsules, the doctor prescribed 10mg twice a day, I thought perhaps giving her 5mg twice a day to see how she does if thats the consensus? Your thoughts? He said its not enough to effectively treat her but since shes borderline cushings how could it hurt? then we can see what the side effects are, this is a regular vet not an internal med doctor so? thanks again for all your help :-) sorry for rambling, Im so stressed out right now :-( I have no support system ,no one to talk to about this and the doctors just say give her the drugs. Thanks for being here for me Maria (will write about Bandit later)

....but since shes borderline cushings how could it hurt?
    To be blunt, it could kill her by making her cortisol go TOO low which is quickly life threatening. Based on her reaction to the first time she tried the Trilostane I would NOT put her back on it right now. She would need another ACTH at the least. The fact that her adrenals are NORMAL on the ultrasound makes me doubtful she has Cushing's. A dog with Cushing's will have either one or both adrenal glands enlarged most of the time. So that along with her reaction to the Trilo really make me question if she does have Cushing's at all.

I would help us give you more meaningful feedback if you would get copies of the testing that has been done so far and post the actual results here. The ultrasound comments, the ACTH, the wellness screen that shows ALP, ALT, GGT, CHOL, BUN, and other values. This test looks at organ function. If the wellness screen (or whatever her vet calls it) has not been done I would have that done asap.

Personally, I would want an indepth check of the liver just based on the comment about the organ's edges. Kidney disease, liver disease and other conditions can mimic Cushing's so diagnosing Cushing's is as much about ruling out other possibilities as anything.

I hope you are well...and again do NOT restart the Trilostane at any dose right now.

Hugs,
    Leslie
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Thats how I feel Leslie, yet they keep pushing the Trilostane, I called the vet this morning, they said she could have Pituitary Cushings? They are supposed to be emailing me her bloodwork, I have a question as this is all new to me. They did the urine cortisol which they said was "slightly elevated" they did the ACTH which they said was "slightly elevated" they suggested the Low Dose Dex all day test but in her current condition, tummy constantly upset, extremely anxious, whining all the time, Im concerned about having her at the vet all day which increases her anxiety. Since you have all gone through this is the Low Dose Dex test hard on the dog? If this test will absolutely rule out Cushings without causing any damage or harm to Kali then Im willing to do it because at this point I cant get them to focus on anything else. They said her never ending need to eat and excessive water consumption indicate cushings with the even though its slight elevated cortisol, give her the drugs..drugs lets just push drugs, I hate them, I have bone cancer so I know how horrible they are, dont get me wrong if they will make her feel better Im happy to give them but I dont want to give her anything thats goign to make her feel worse or is not justified or indicated for her condition. Im at this stage where I love my baby so much, she saved my life when I found I was ill and I cannot imagine my world without her but Im afraid shes in pain and I cant let her be that way, Im crying as I write this because Im so frustrated and alone and I dont know what to do, I dont want to give up on her I just dont know where to go...

Hi Maria,

First, take a deep breath. We are right here with you and will help you navigate the road ahead, whatever happens, OK? You're not alone anymore. We'll do our best to help you so you can reduce that frustration and anxiety you're feeling. Deep breaths will help. *hugs*

The urine cortisol and ACTH are "slightly elevated". Let's see what those numbers are when they email the results to you. The low dose dex test (LDDS) might be difficult, especially if she is anxious about being at the vet. My pup was not anxious at the vet so I'm not sure what to suggest. Others have had dogs like that too, hopefully they will stop by with ideas.

Her symptoms could indicate Cushing's but we'll cross the bridge when we know for sure. Reviewing those test results is the first step.

Sending many hugs your way...
    Shana
    Mama to Jackson and Kira, and my darling Cushing's angel, Visuddha

Ask her vet if she can stay with you between draws. Ya'll could go back home if close enough or to a park or mall, or just outside the clinic walking around. Sometimes that helps when the pup is stressed out. If the vet won't allow that, and some won't for some reason, bring one of her blankets or one of your shirts, etc. to put in her cage while she waits. That can also help calm them at times.
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

How are you and Kali doing? Just popping in to check on the both of you.
    Hugs,
    Leslie