Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Yogi has crossed the Bridge - questions about Trilostane

Default Re: Seeking input - Trilostane no longer working

Great news! I pray the positive trend continues! You can also add to the macro thread any time you wish to share Yogi's story. It is an important thread within itself and a great place to keep all your info concerning his journey with his tumor and treatment. Many to come will benefit from your words.
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Sending huge loving hugs to you both. As for help with gaining weight; carbs such as pasta, potatoes, etc. also adding in high-calorie treats and some food that is formulated for puppies.

OK, I’ve just now posted a link on the “Macroadenoma” thread ;-). And as Leslie says, you’re always welcome there to add any thoughts or suggestions, too.

Marianne

OH something else to look into for weight gain - Satin Balls for dogs. There are several recipes and all are designed to put weight on so google and check them out!
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Thank you so much for the recommendations for weight gain.

Yogi went to see the Internal Medicine vet at NCSU for his post radiation checkup. After dropping to 152, he's back up to 156 pounds and she was very impressed. I took him to the park with his frisbee to celebrate - and believe it or not, he leaped with his usual altitude and ran at his usual high speed. It was unbelievable, and seeing him feeling good is my best birthday present ever! I have so much to be thankful for this Thanksgiving season.

Next steps are for me to try to wean him off of the steroids b/c they are prompting him to drink a lot. Then in 3 weeks we will have an ACTH test to see where the 30 mg 2x/day Trilostane dose is doing to him/his bloodwork.

As far as posting on the Macroadenoma post - do I post the same things I'm posting here - or would the link take someone here so they could reference if needed?

What a great update on Yogi! I am so glad he is gaining weight AND regaining his strength and agility. How wonderful!

As for the macro thread, yes the link Marianne posted there will take folk to this thread. For future readers it would be easier to be able to read about the things others experienced and tried all in one place....but for folk like you who are dealing with this issue that means more work on your end. So it is up to you if you wish to share on the macro thread or have folk find Yogi's info here. Either way you will be helping others who follow.

Happy Birthday and a very Blessed Thanksgiving to you and yours!
    Hugs,
    Leslie

Hi, Posting an update on Yogi for the thread. After 3 amazing months, this past weekend he started losing his appetite and ability to see/eat food. I suspect it's the tumor and/or the inflammation that is back. Yesterday he still had energy to trot around the dog park a little and try to catch the frisbee. However, I'm now giving him fluid via a syringe b/c he's not drinking enough and feeding him moist cat food, cottage cheese, anything that he can lick. Often he stands at his food bowl and appears confused. His is still on 30 mg 2x per day of trilostane, the blood thinners for clotting, a very low dose of prednisone and Leveticetam (Keppra) anti-seizure. His weight is dropping even with my efforts to feed him and I suspect that each day will get worse. This is breaking my heart, even as I know that every extra day I've had with him post-radiation has been a miracle blessing.

I'm going to NCSU Vet school Internal Medicine today for a check up. Any suggestions on how to keep nutrients going into his body are appreciated.

Oh, I am sorry to hear this latest news about Yogi and I know how worried you must be about him, please let us know how the vet visit goes.

As for his appetite, sometimes as our dogs grow older their nose doesn't smell as good as it used to so you may want to try some "stinky" food with him such as sardines, grated parmesan cheese, tuna, or tripe. You could also give him some warm meat broth but make sure that it doesn't have any onion or onion powder, also baby food (no onions either). Slippery elm bark or Nutri-Cal could be options too.

Sending huge loving hugs, Lori

Sending many hugs and prayers for you and our sweet Yogi. Let us know what you learn tomorrow.

Hugs
    Leslie

Thank you for the positive thoughts and ideas on stinky food. I went to the vet today and they suspect it's either that he's gone Addison's after the radiation (which would mean he's overcontrolled on Cushings and it could be causing that) or it is indeed the tumor progressing. Tomorrow he's going to have one more ACTH test to see, and then I'll know more where things are at. He was not able to walk to get in the car at the vet, and is very, very sleepy. More updates tomorrow.