Thread: Eardrops / Deafness

Default Eardrops / Deafness

I will be taking my Rozee (14 y.o.) in tomorrow to get her right ear checked out. They have a weird smell not yeasty but maybe sour smelling. She has been afraid of loud noises lately and is just acting weird, wants to hide and stay away from any active areas of the house. She also had a dental recently about 2 weeks ago and they did pull a tooth so I was wondering if their might be some relation there. Infection? also has been coughing lately.

I remember readings something about eardrops and a possible side effect of deafness. It may have been Sue and Zoe but I can't remember for sure. Just wanted to know if anybody rembered so if Rozee's vet prescribes any eardrops, I want to make sure it is not the rx that has a side effect of deafness.

Eardrops with a side effect of deafness just doesn't make sense
    John (Roxee & Rozee's Dad)

Default Re: Eardrops / Deafness

Hi John,

There is a thread about this on Natalie's k9diabetes board.

http://www.k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=995

Fwiw, my cushkid had a few ear infections over his lifetime, some of which required ear drops. They never seemed to do him any harm.

But we definitely do know of more than just a few pups who did have problems with their hearing after using certain eardrops and forewarned is definitely forearmed.

Yep, John. It was the Zo. When she suddenly went deaf two days into using the ear ointment, I started searching online and found that it's the GENTAMYCIN in ear products that can cause deafness. Zoe had used them before, throughout her life, but that was the first time it resulted in hearing loss. I also recall reading that it's more likely to happen in older dogs. And I suspect, also, in dogs with compromised health because of all the dogs on Nat's diabetes board that it happened to. Zoe doesn't have diabetes, but maybe it was the cushings that made her more susceptible. So we don't use that a/b anymore on her. I think there must be alternatives, though.

I also learned that it may or may not be reversible, depending on what, I don't know. But I did read that aspirin 'might' help reverse the deafness in these cases. Zoe was stone deaf for months when it happened, but her hearing gradually improved and I think it was because I started giving her the aspirin a week or two after it happened. Not a lot of aspirin (1/2) and always with food because of the risk of GI bleeding in cush pups. In Zoe, her hearing is still poor and will probably never return to what it was, pre-ointment. But at least she can hear a little bit now. Sue/Zo
    Last edited by zoesmom; 06-25-2009 at 02:48 PM.

Thanks Cushy and Sue

We'll see what the vet has in store for Rozee tomorrow. Rozee is Roxee's littermate sister. I just don't want to take any unnecessary chances.

Thanks again.

I'll just mention that Sachi used those ear drops and also lost most of her hearing. This was after she went blind, so we had a big dilemma. We didn't use aspirin, but she slowly gained some hearing back. It took a long time. I don't think it ever came back 100%, but enough so she could revert back to the typical "selective hearing" problem!!
    ~Mary Ann

So Rozee was dx'd with an ear infection, and Tracheitis.

So what the the vet prescribe? GENTAMYCIN My wife Patty was there and enjoyed my debate / discussion. Vet said very rare chance, I said, some police dept's have disallowed the use in police K9's..... He went back to his computer and was gone for a while and decided that I may be on to something and changed her meds to be on the safe side. I love this guy for putting up with me. Also gave her an injection of cortisone but told me not to worry as it is only one injection.

Rozee is on the mend

YEAH! for Rozee!!!

Now on the mend thanks to a persistent canine advocate!!!
    Great job John and Patty.
    I really wished I'd known about the "very rare, slim chance" before I put the ointment in Sachi's ears. Granted, I might have done it anyway, not knowing that several others had experienced the problem, but I would have had a heads up and known what was wrong and stopped it immediately.

~Mary Ann

OK...you have me thinking now.... Haley is 95% deaf. It happened quickly. I have to go back and look at records but she had black scale on an ear = said to be infection and I gave her drops that were like a thick milk. I can't remember the name. Does this sound like what you are talking about? I will have to see if I have the records on that here. Oh my the things we learn. I wrote down the drug name and I won't forget about it either.

Thanks for sharing this.
    Kim