Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is It Me? (Site software upgrade issues)

Default Is It Me? (Site software upgrade issues)

Will this take some getting used to or am I the only one finding it more difficult with the new format? I found the old one so easy to navigate... this one even seems harder to read.... is it me? I can't edit the title... don't know what happened there.
    Last edited by spdd; 10-29-2017 at 04:30 PM.
    Judi & "mah boy" Keesh

Default Re: Is It Me?

No, Judi, it's not just you! We staffers were expecting that the software upgrade that we instituted last night would only make some much needed behind-the-scenes security and functional improvements -- we were not expecting a complete design change!!! Right now, we're in the process of finding out whether any of the old design is recoverable or not. I'm finding it much harder to sort through things on the site, as well. So fingers are crossed, but we shall see (I don't even like the new emoticons)...

In the meantime, I went ahead and edited your thread title. And actually, that function is unchanged. Once posted, members have not been able to edit their thread titles. Dunno why, but there it is.

Anyway, I guess we all will have to be patient and hope for the best!

Marianne

This is going to be a learning curve for all of us. Unfortunately the upgrade was really needed. So no choice. I agree this is not as easy on the eye.
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)

Upgrade disaster!!!! Put it back. I don't care how, but do it!!! I can't see/find anything. Even the emoticons suck! I can't see them enough to find an angry one!!!!

I was able to edit my post without difficulty.
    Last edited by Budsters Mom; 10-29-2017 at 08:31 PM. Reason: To add
    Kathy and Angel Buddy. The mightiest of all lizard hunters!

Kathy, unfortunately the upgrade was a necessity due to security vulnerabilities, so we just don't have the luxury of going back. For example, for several weeks now we have been compromised in a manner such that Google links to our site have been redirecting folks to unsavory alternative websites.

It appears as though there will be both pluses and minuses to the new upgrade. But for the moment, security is really the most important issue. We have experienced a couple of major hacks over the years, and they were devastating due to the total loss of significant chunks of content. So we had to get the upgrade in place ASAP, and now we'll see where we can go from here in terms of redesign issues. It will be a process...

I understand the security vulnerabilities and agree that that has to be first and foremost. However, right now, this is very hard for me to see/read on my iPad. It is definitely a strain on my aging eyes and multiple sets of bifocals do not help me see this any clearer. The rest is just a jumbled mess that I will eventually figure out, even though I don't like it. The visual thing is huge problem. It is hard to respond when you can barely see/read the posts. Someone really screwed up here. I hope that is something that can be tweaked in some way. Can't see it, can't read it, can't help. Simple enough.

Thank you for your timely response.
    Kathy

Just a thought... Troubleshooting here.... Do you think it would be possible to add a "background color" selection on our individual settings page?? That would help the white screen reflecting issue.
    Last edited by Budsters Mom; 10-29-2017 at 10:08 PM. Reason: To add
    Kathy and Angel Buddy. The mightiest of all lizard hunters!

Just a thought... Troubleshooting here.... Do you think it would be possible to add a "background color" selection on our individual settings page?? That would help the white screen reflecting issue.
    That's one of several things we're needing/wanting to look into. That white background is indeed awfully stark! It's awfully hard on my aging eyes, as well...

Took me a few tries before I could figure it out!
    Joan, mom to my Angel Lena, Angel Gable, Angel Phoenix, Angel Doree, Cooper, Sibble, and now Raina.

I am VERY leery of this site because my computer keeps telling it is insecure, my protection programs go nuts, and nothing I do changes that. I have not been here working because this is NOT our site, it is the V-Bulletin site. Other updates have never gone this badly! LOL

This isn't an update, it's a complete new install of the base that runs our forum. We had to make this upgrade due to security issues, believe me it wasn't a choice we wanted to have to make.

What we are working on now and it requires some expertise going back to the beginning of this sites creation is a upgrade and restoration of the template, that determines how our site "looks". A template is basically a design overlay of the base. This is the base. We haven't yet been able to reach out and work with original template developers to reinstate our template. Once we can connect and do that, it will all look the same, but this is the base without the template.

As far as any security issues, we should not be having any security issues. If you are showing security issues Leslie can you please advise us what you are showing. I've used the site on a secure login, vpn, ipad, iphone and haven't encountered any security issues. You can send the admins an email showing or even a screen shot to show us what you are encountering.

Is anyone else encountering security alerts when they login to the forum?
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)