Thread: New to the forum - 14 y/o Old English Sheep Dog Recently Diagnosed

Default New to the forum - 14 y/o Old English Sheep Dog Recently Diagnosed

Hello, everyone! I'm scared and worried about my 14 y/o Old English Sheep Dog, Penny, who was recently diagnosed with Cushings following a year of symptoms mostly attributed to her age. They include hind leg weakness/stiffness (no real signs of arthritis from her xrays - only mild), high blood pressure, excessive panting, increasing appetite (began only about a month ago), excessive thirst (began really at the same time as hunger.)

She weighs 73 lbs and has been put on 30 mg. Vetoryl morning and same at night. She doesn't seem to be improving after 6 days of therapy, and I'm really worried. She has been progressively getting worse over the months. I feel now that I should have taken her to another vet - just thought her age was the issue.

Her test results are as follows:
    Cortisol - Pre Dex 6.3 Range 1.0 - 6.0 ug/dL H
    Cortisol - 4 hr Post Dex 2.7 ug/dL
    Cortisol - 8 hr Post Dex 2.3 ug/dL

Can anyone offer advice? Just a worried dog mom. She's a family member.

Default Re: New to the forum - 14 y/o Old English Sheep Dog Recently Diagnosed

Hello and welcome to you and sweet Penny! You'll see that I've moved your thread to our main Cushing's discussion forum -- this way, our members will be more likely to see you and reply to you.

First of all, I'm very sorry that Penny is having problems, but also very glad you've found us. We will do our best to answer your questions all along the way. Try not to feel discouraged at this early point in Penny's treatment. It may simply be the case that she'll require a larger dose of Vetoryl in order to gain more significant symptom relief. Every dog metabolizes the drug on an individual basis, and therefore we see a wide variation in the therapeutic dosage required by different dogs, even those of the same weight. The most widely accepted starting formula is to begin treatment at a dose that doesn't exceed 1 mg. per pound as a daily total, and then working upward from there if a higher dose is required. Penny has been started out at even a bit less than that, so she may easily end up needing to have her dosage increased.

Most clinicians recommend leaving the starting dose unchanged for around the first month of treatment (this is because cortisol levels tend to continue to drift downward during the first month, even when the dose is left unchanged). After that first month, the dose may then be increased based upon monitoring blood test results and also the resolution (or lack thereof) of clinical symptoms. The monitoring test is an ACTH stimulation test. Has your vet already talked with you about scheduling that test?

Also, for maximal effectiveness, Penny's Vetoryl should be given to her alongside a meal, both morning and evening. It is a medication that requires a full stomach for optimal absorption. So I just want to make sure your vet had told you that.

Penny's LDDS results are indeed consistent with the pituitary form of Cushing's. Out of curiosity, has she exhibited any abnormal readings on any of her regular blood or urine tests? Cushpups typically exhibit certain types of abnormalities such as elevated liver enzymes and cholesterol, and also very dilute urine. So I'm wondering whether Penny has had any of these, or other, abnormal readings, as well.

OK, I'll go ahead and close for now. But once again, we're so glad you girls have joined us!

Marianne

Thank you so much, Marianne! I appreciate any and all help we can get along the way. I'm with Penny much more than my husband and began to notice her changes about 14 months ago, sadly. I should have listened more closely to my gut instinct that something wasn't right with the continuation of new symptoms. She had dilute urine in one of the many visits to the vet - really about every four to six weeks.

I failed to mention in my previous post that about four years ago, Penny had thyroid cancer. It was removed and, fortunately, she recovered nicely. She had done very well on Thyroxine (sp?) following that surgery.

She is taking a number of prescriptions - all brought on by the numerous diagnoses over the past year. I'm wondering what interactions, if any, these may be having. She takes blood pressure medicine (Benazopril), Tramadol, Carprofen, her Thyroxine as mentioned above and Gabapentin (recently added before the Cushings diagnosis for her limb issues.) I HATE giving her all of these pills if the underlying issue is actually Cushings. I do realize that some of these will need to be weaned in dosage - I just hate to fill her tummy with prescriptions that she may or may not actually need or be making a difference. Thoughts anyone? Similar situation?

Hello and welcome from me too. Tramadol, Carprofen and Gabapentin are all types of pain meds. Maybe ask the vet if they can't get that weaned down to one pain med? Tramadol, which might make her more lethargic would probably be my first thought, as it is easier on the liver than carprofen (rimadyl). Gabapentin I believe focuses more of possible neurological pain. (like spine injuries, etc)

It takes awhile for symptoms like hind leg weakness to correct, and there are no guarantees that it will. Do you have a dog therapy option near you? I'm thinking water excercises which is gentle on the joints for strengthening.
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)