Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Winston, 8 year old westie with adrenal tumor

Default Re: Winston, 8 year old westie with adrenal tumor

Almost exactly 4 years after discovery of his adrenal tumor...2.5 years after his adrenalectomy for his adrenal tumor and subsequent diagnosis of an insulin-secreting pancreatic tumor...20 months spent battling hypoglycemia as a result of that tumor...Winston's journey ends in a few short hours.

In the end, it wasn't the adrenal tumor or the insulinoma that got him. He was completely normal most of the day yesterday. Spent it at doggie daycare and seemed normal when I picked him up at 4:30. At 6:30 he was still normal. By 7:20 I knew something was suddenly very wrong. Gave him an hour to settle down hoping it was early pancreatitis. I gave him some anti-nausea meds and pain meds, but within 20 minutes he started vomiting them up. Vomited 5 times, got super painful. We went to the ER, they hospitalized him overnight. At 2 am last night they woke me up with a call saying he is worsening and needs blood pressure support medications and artificial glucose because his blood pressure and blood sugar were low. At 6 am I was told his bloodwork suggested an overwhelming bacterial infection. At 9 am, they called and said he had a septic abdomen (fluid in his belly with bacteria in it) and they think they saw an intestinal mass where the fluid was accumulating. He needs emergency surgery where the odds at best are 50/50 for survival, or euthanasia. I just can't make him go through another surgery. I visited him around 10:30 and I don't think he was even aware I was there. My mom dropped everything and is flying here. When she arrives around 6 pm central time, we're going to the emergency clinic he's been hospitalized at and letting him go. Then tomorrow my mom and I are making the 10 hour drive with his little body that failed him and burying him on my parents' land.

I'm absolutely devastated but know in my heart it's the right choice, even as hard as it is. Light the candle for Winston, my little "westie bestie". Life won't be the same without you in it, bud. Until we meet again, my friend.

Thank you all for being here for us throughout the years. I'll try to come back from time to time, when it doesn't hurt quite so much.
    Kellie, dog-mom to Winston

Awww Kellie...I am so sorry. What a nightmare for you. I wouldn't put him through anything else either. I'm crying I'm so upset for you. You both put up such a good fight. I remember being so anxious when he had the adrenalectomy and how happy that he pulled through. You're a good mom and Winston knows how much you love him.
    Joan, mom to my Angel Lena, Angel Gable, Angel Phoenix, Angel Doree, Cooper, Sibble, and now Raina.

Oh Kellie, I join Joan with tears flowing. I'm so grateful that I'm seeing this a few minutes before 6:00 central time, because I hope it means that you'll see our notes here, and carry our hearts and our hugs along with you and your mom as you prepare to release Winston's spirit from his ailing body. If you can, please give Winston a tender pat and a special kiss from his K9C family here. What a brave boy, and what a dog-worthy life he has led! I'm so sorry for the pain you now must bear. But Winston, himself, will be making the magical passage from sickness to health, from physical presence to shining spirit. Fare thee well, sweet little boy, on your newest journey. Bless you, and bless all who love you so dearly.

Sending my hopes for peace and comfort flying across the miles to you all,
    Marianne

I am so very sorry Kellie. Know that you are not alone, that so very many of us have walked this road and it hurts something awful, even when you know its the right decision to make. My heart goes out to you during this most heart breaking time and in the days and months to come.

I'll say my goodbyes here tonight as the tears run down my cheeks.

Good night dear Winston. Another start will burn brighter in the sky when you are gone
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)

Oh Kellie, I am so very sorry. I have followed Winston's story. You have been through so much. Winston's true hero!
    FLY FREE WINSTON, FLY FREE!
    Kathy and Angel Buddy. The mightiest of all lizard hunters!

Dear Kellie,

My tears join yours, your mom's, and all here as we say farewell to our little warrior. Winston has given so much hope to others thru the years simply because of what he faced and overcame. His spirit has been indomitable and has won the heart of every one who has read his story. I have no doubt he left this life with his heart full of love and gratitude as he moves on to the next phase of his journey. It is my firm belief that we will see our beloved babies who have gone before some day and when that day comes, we will never again be parted from them. Until that day, Winston will be watching over you just as you have watched over him all his life...with love and pride and joy. Meanwhile, we must learn how to live with the gaping hole they leave behind. Please know we are here anytime you need to talk, cry, scream, or simply say hi to others who understand so well the loss and pain you carry.

Thank you for sharing your precious baby boy with us all these years and for coming back to tell us this news, as hard as it is to hear.
    Go in peace, Winston, and know you are loved by many.

My deepest sympathies,
    Leslie

I walk with you

I stood by your bed last night, I came to have a peep.
    I could see that you were crying, You found it hard to sleep.

I whined to you softly as you brushed away a tear,
    “It’s me, I haven’t left you, I’m well, I’m fine, I’m here.”

I was close to you at breakfast, I watched you pour the tea,
    You were thinking of the many times, your hands reached down to me.

I was with you at the shops today, Your arms were getting sore.
    I longed to take your parcels, I wish I could do more.

I was with you at my grave today, You tend it with such care.
    I want to reassure you, that I’m not lying there.

I walked with you towards the house, as you fumbled for your key.
    I gently put my paw on you, I smiled and said “it’s me.”

You looked so very tired, and sank into a chair.
    I tried so hard to let you know, that I was standing there.

It’s possible for me, to be so near you everyday.
    To say to you with certainty, “I never went away.”

You sat there very quietly, then smiled, I think you knew …
    in the stillness of that evening, I was very close to you.

The day is over and I smile and watch you yawning
    and say “goodnight, God bless, I’ll see you in the morning.”

And when the time is right for you to cross the brief divide,
    I’ll rush across to greet you and we’ll stand, side by side.

I have so many things to show you, there is so much for you to see.
    Be patient, live your journey out . then come home to be with me.

Author unknown
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.