Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What should I expect?

Default What should I expect?

Hi - my rescue 11 year old terrier cross who I have only had for 2months is showing signs of cushings. Vet has done a general blood test and the results also suggest changes expected to be seen for cushing so he is due to go back in on Monday for the cushings blood test.
    I am now very concerned as to what I should expect - medication, his quality of life, food, etc. I also use Plaque-off for his teeth and Billy no Mates for fleas and I'm concerned that I should not be using these.
    We have also found recently (after getting a camera) that he suffers from anxiety when left alone and I'm worried this will not help the cushings (if he does have it).
    Any advice much appreciated.

Default Re: What should I expect?

Hello and welcome! I have only a moment to post right now, but I'll return later on . In the meantime, I just wanted to let you know that I've transferred your thread here, to our main discussion forum. This way, more of our members are likely to see your thread and respond to your questions.

Once again, welcome, and I'll be back .
    Marianne

OK, I'm back! First of all, kudos to you for rescuing this senior fur baby! What a sweet and loving decision to give this little boy a secure home at this stage of his life.

Can you tell us a bit more about the symptoms and test results that are pointing towards Cushing's? It can be a tricky disease to diagnose, but it sounds as though your vet is properly taking things step-by-step.

The good news is that the symptoms of Cushing's can be brought under control with medication, and dogs who are treated can live out their normal lifespans with a good quality of life. Before talking about the treatment in more detail, though, it'll help if we can find out more about the specific symptoms that are troubling your boy. That will give us a better idea as to the path forward, both in terms of testing and also control of the disease should it turn out that he truly has Cushing's.

Once again, welcome to you both!
    Marianne

Hi Marianne, thank you for your messages.

His symptoms are typical of cushings - thinning hair and skin, panting, drinking a lot, urinating a lot (at night this has been in house) and a pop belly. He doesn't seem to be able to get comfortable either - fidgets a lot (not sure if this is in line with cushings as well).

I don't have the actual results of the blood test - it was a general overall health blood test (he is going in for the cushings one on Monday) however the vet said that the liver results would need to be investigated if the results show he doesn't have cushings.

Laura

Hello and welcome from me too. So it sounds like the liver enzymes are elevated. Depending on what the numbers are and which ones are elevated that can go along with cushings.

Are they doing the LDDS or the ACTH (8 hr or 2 hour) test on Monday?

There are two drugs that can be used to treat cushings, vetroyl and lysodren. Both are serious drugs and protocols have to be followed on administering (with food) and followup testing.

First lets see what the numbers are on the cushing tests. Also while there can you ask for a copy of the blood work that has been done and then let us know what the numbers/with range of any high or low results are? That helps us to give you better feedback.

welcome to the fourm!
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)

Hi Laura and welcome to you and your baby boy!

You can expect your world to change in many ways if your baby does have Cushing's....and many of those ways are good. For example, you will make friends from all over the world, some for the rest of your life, and you will learn a great deal about things you've never even heard of until before you know it you find yourself reaching out to help someone new. You will also become an even better pet parent than you are now....and I know you are a good parent because you are here expressing your concerns proving just how much you care and how far you are willing to go to help your baby boy be the best possible.

You can expect to receive our best regardless of the situation. If you will look at the top of the page you will see these words under the web page heading - support, educate, encourage, remember. We live by those words and offer them all to you. We will give you our most meaningful feedback and when we don't understand we will ask for more information that we might be able to understand. If we do not know, we will say that as well....then help you try to find the answer. If those tough days come, we will help you thru. And in the darkest of times, we will hold your hand and walk with you thru the valley. You and your little boy are now part of our family here at K9C.

As for what to expect about the testing he is going to have, it is possible that he may be a bit "off" after the test. Not all dogs experience this and the degree varies among those that do. So don't worry if he's not himself for the 24 hours or so following the test(s). If, IF, the test(s) show he probably does have Cushing's then you are in the best possible place right here with us. But today just breath and try to enjoy spending time with your baby boy. IF he does have Cushing's, you can do this, odds are he will do fine once he's stabilized - and we are with you all the way.

It is a really good idea to start getting copies of all the test results from now on if you can. The actual numbers not the invoice. We will be asking LOTS of questions and the answers to many can be found in those test results. And it's just a good idea to have a file of all the records at home just in case he ever has to see another vet - you walk in the door with everything already in hand.

The most important thing you need to hold onto right now is this - Cushing's is not a death sentence. Most cush pups live out their normal lifespan and beyond, passing from something unrelated to Cushing's. My first cush baby, Squirt, passed at the age of 16+ of age related issues...and it had been about 7 years since we had first heard the word "Cushing's".

I'm glad you found us and look forward to learning more about you and your sweet boy as time passes IF IF IF he does have Cushing's. Regardless, we will want to hear from you every now and then to let us know how ya'll are doing.

Hugs,
    Leslie and the gang
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Hi Sharlene, I think they are doing ACTH two hour test as he is having a respiratory check up as well as been having odd breathing episodes which they're doing after the blood test. Really worried for the poor guy.
    Will ask gor copies

Thanks Leslie - brought tears to my eyes!

Hi Laura, welcome from me too! How wonderful you have taken in this sweet boy. What's his name?

If it turns out he does have Cushings, you are in the right place! And if he doesn't, well that's great... you are still welcome here. As Leslie said, you're family now. I no longer have my Cushings baby but still participate here regularly, as the admins and other members are some of the best people I have ever met... especially when it comes to sharing our love of dogs. 😁

Please let us know what you find out about those test results. And remember to breathe!

Shana
    Mama to Jackson and Kira, and my darling Cushing's angel, Visuddha

Hi all, so Seymour has been confirmed with cushings. The cortisol post ACTH was 825.0 (help to understand this would be appreciated!).

Starting Vetoryl in the morning - have chicken at the ready to hide tablet in.

Is there anything I should consider now? Such as his diet etc?
    Thank you in advance