Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Considering a second dog...

Default Re: Considering a second dog...

Thanks Annie. I learned so much with Pepper, and I believe the training classes with Jackson were great for his confidence and our relationship. I really underestimated the value of those classes and will take every dog through at least one class from now on.

I'm sure there will be bumps in the road but I'm happy to report that Kira and Jackson are getting along really well. It has been one week since they first met, and she has been home for only 5 days. Last night they were chasing each other in the yard, in and out of the house, wrestling and running and playing so well. We finally had to tell them both to take a break so they didn't get too overheated or exhausted.

The past two nights they have stayed in the living room with Ron, rather than coming to bed with me. Jackson sleeps on my bed, but I was planning on not allowing Kira to do so, training her to sleep in the crate instead. She would rather leave the room than go in the crate so.... I closed the door and left them both out. Jackson used to eat his meals in the crate but hasn't used it in years. I am not sure if we will use it with her or not....

This morning they had some of their breakfast in Kong puzzle toys. That was fun. They have since alternated who is laying on the loveseat with me. Jackson is starting to bug me though....Think he is ready for a walk. I guess I better get going.

Shana
    Mama to Jackson and Kira, and my darling Cushing's angel, Visuddha

Sounds good, Shana...I think they will be fine together.
    Joan, mom to my Angel Lena, Angel Gable, Angel Phoenix, Angel Doree, Cooper, Sibble, and now Raina.

This is really good to hear. Jackson never got that far with Pepper so I think this is a good sign. whoo hooo Love to hear they are playing and chasing each other and having a good time
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)

Yep they are getting along really well. Jackson initiated a play session this morning, until she chased him around the loveseat over and over and over again. 😁

She got on his nerves a couple times yesterday. Once I gave her attention and he waited patiently... but when I turned to him she tried to butt in. He told her off in no uncertain terms and she responded well. Another time she was being a puppy pest and he didn't want to play. Nothing major.... And this morning's play session after their separate walks was fantastic to see.

I will be walking them together once Kira is better about not pulling. It's usually not too bad .... unless she is super excited or sees a squirrel. Ugh! My shoulders are going to be sore tomorrow... pretty sure that every squirrel was on the ground antagonizing her today. I ordered both a Gentle Leader and an Easy Walk harness for her. They should both be here by tomorrow so hopefully one helps.

Kira is learning to wait at doors and for her meals. She still jumps like mad when she greets us, but is settling faster every day.

She whines when we leave her, whether it's a trip to the bathroom, upstairs or outside. Ron just left for the store and she started whining. I called her name and she came running (yay!) and resumed whining. I rubbed her flank and told her it was ok, he'd be back, and yawned loudly. She lay right down .. quiet. I just love those calming signals!

Naptime sounds like a good idea.

Default Kira, my little blue heeler mix

Kira has been doing really well at home, learning her name and the rules. She and Jackson play together both in the house and in the yard, running, chasing and a little wrestling. Nothing too out of control. We make sure they take frequent breaks to keep them from getting too wound up and turning fun time into an issue. We're working on whining in the house... and barking in the back yard.

The harness I ordered was too small so I sent that back, but she's getting used to the Gentle Leader now. The only time she really doesn't like it is the only time she really needs it... when she sees a squirrel and wants to GO GO GO! Otherwise, she walks with a relatively loose leash, usually right next to Jackson. They're just so darn cute together.

As she growl/barked at one person in the waiting area when we went to the vet on Monday, the vet assistant that called us back AND the one who met us in the room, they recommended a "reactive dog class" ASAP. I emailed the place where I took Jackson and knowing my experience with him, and what I shared about Kira, the owner suggested bringing her to a quieter obedience class instead. My husband and I couldn't agree more. They just happen to have one that started last Saturday where only 3 of 8 families showed up. So she is all signed up and I'm hoping attendance remains low. We'll see tomorrow!

Having Kira along when we go for a walk has proven to be GOOD for Jackson's reactivity. I was a little worried that he would go off and she would pick that up. So far we have had two instances where we were passing other dogs on the street.... Both times I've dropped treats on the ground and told them to "find it!" He immediately starts sniffing, she follows suit, and the dogs are able to go past without issue! I am one proud mama.

And you should be!
    Joan, mom to my Angel Lena, Angel Gable, Angel Phoenix, Angel Doree, Cooper, Sibble, and now Raina.

I'm a few days late, but Kira's first gotcha day anniversary was this past Tuesday. We celebrated by torturing her with squirrels on our morning walk, beating her until she quit whining, then locking her up in a cage for the rest of the day.

JUST KIDDING.

Sort of.

She WAS tortured by squirrels, whined almost incessantly and was threatened with being locked up. Instead, I gave her some extra treats before I left for work... my husband gave her even more and played games with her, Jackson and our houseguest Roo during the day. (Roo is our son and his wife's cattle dog who just a little older than Kira. They don't always get along. )

I'll add a couple newer pictures in their albums...

Awww, Happy Anniversary, Kira!

Happy Gotcha day, Kira!!!!

Happy, Happy Gotcha Day from me, too :-))))))))))))))))

So glad to hear from you, Shana, and I’ll sure be watching for those new pix!

Marianne