Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Considering a second dog...

Default Re: Considering a second dog...

Oh yay, Shana! I hope it continues to go well....
    Joan, mom to my Angel Lena, Angel Gable, Angel Phoenix, Angel Doree, Cooper, Sibble, and now Raina.

Congratulations Shana!!!

Thank you.

She is truly adorable. We were going to have her stay downstairs on the couch with my husband last night, but she was having none of that. Whined outside my bedroom door until I decided to set the crate up next to the bed. Jackson slept on the bed, she slept in the crate and only woke me once with growls and barks at the cat sitting in the doorway.

The dogs had a short argument in the hall while I was in the bathroom this morning. No idea who started it, but they both looked sheepish when I came out.

We walked them a couple miles after that, lots of good pack time and sniffs together. Both are now snoozing on opposite sides of me on the couch.
    Mama to Jackson and Kira, and my darling Cushing's angel, Visuddha

awwww she's beautiful, Shana! Sounds like things are off to a pretty good start and I hope they end up fast friends!
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

She really is lovely. I suppose they will have some arguments until Jackson is sure she understands he has been around for awhile and all that. Not that I'm at all convinced she cares. She looks quite comfy on that couch. hahahaha
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)

Haha - she sure is comfy on the couch, Sharlene!

Yesterday continued to go well. I just read Turid Rugaas book on calming signals, and notice both of the dogs using these. I'm learning to use them more, too. Lots of yawns seem to help.

Jackson has given her a bit of whale eye now and again, especially when getting attention from one of us and she approaches. Once he climbed on the couch next to me... or rather, ON me... and she walked up. He growled at her, likely showing teeth though I couldn't see it. SHE growled back and flashed her teeth as well. *I* essentially growled at them both and she backed off, walked around the coffee table and hopped up on the other side of the couch while Jackson lay back down. I blocked them from seeing each other with my legs and a blanket, yawned and they both went to sleep.

I went in my room last night and she jumped on the bed, wasn't going to listen to "off". Jackson was lying outside the bedroom door watching us. I just walked out of the room and turned the light off and they both followed me downstairs. A few minutes later, I went back up and gave her some attention then put her in the crate. She whined a bit but settled quickly and was quiet until 4am. Jackson came up later and decided to sleep outside the room (which he does sometimes).

Another nice long walk this morning, with time off leash in a safely fenced area to run, chase the birds and play with each other a bit. She knows sit and can be lured into a down, so we've been practicing taking turns for treats. She is also learning to sit for her meals, eating on the opposite side of the kitchen from Jackson with me between them to ensure no issues. "Setting them up for success" as Saskia taught me.

I'll try not to inundate you with all the details, but do appreciate having a place to share them.

Shana

We like details.

Sounds like things are progressing well for them both. You're doing a good job.

Eventually will you do some training with them both on togetherness with a trainer?
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)

I'm going to reach out to the training facility that Jackson and I went to and see what they recommend. I'm thinking about signing her up for a beginning obedience class; when will depend on our schedule and their availability. The next class starts this weekend and I'd rather wait until at least next month, to give her some time to settle in.

Anything else (especially together) would be a private session, I believe.

She's got her first appointment with our vet next Monday.

They had a little scuffle last night but no injuries and it was very short lived. I'm just not sure if they're ever going to get along (/sarcasm)

Ohhhh, she is sooo cute! Love the look on Jackson's face on the first pic . Best of luck with all the training & socializing-youre doing great!