Thread: Considering a second dog...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Considering a second dog...

You've probably seen my post about bringing a beagle named Pepper into our home earlier this year. He and our heeler mix Jackson didn't get along right away, and after much consideration, I took him back to the rescue organization. He was adopted before long into a home where he would be the only pet, which I believe was the best choice for him.

We think that Jackson would get along better with a girl rather than another boy, and would prefer one that is younger and will remain somewhat smaller, though that's not absolutely necessary (it all depends on how well they get along). With this criteria in mind, I have applied and inquired on several dogs through various other rescue organizations and shelters.

We were very interested in two in particular through two different rescues, and for whatever reason, seem to have been shut down by both. The first was going to set up a meet and greet, but we already had plans to be out of town that weekend. She then expressed concern about Jackson's leash reactivity (which she only knew because I was open and honest with her), and had another family with a friendly and outgoing dog that "could be a great fit for her". I basically told her to go ahead with that possibility but "to keep us in mind" if that didn't work out or for other dogs in the future. She didn't reply to that message; I haven't heard anything more from her at all. I also haven't reached out but the communication kind of put a bad taste in my mouth, you know?

The second rescue also sounded very promising over the phone and said they would call "in the next day or so" to schedule a meet and greet. They never did, and also have not responded to email.

So now I'm once again checking on Petfinder and the various shelter websites nearby. There were two younger girls at one of the shelters; when we got there only one was still available. She was found as a stray, pregnant. She stayed in a foster home, had the pups and was "a great mom" to them, kept things clean though they can't guarantee she is housetrained. She's very timid around strangers... could be her breed (American blue heeler)
    Mama to Jackson and Kira, and my darling Cushing's angel, Visuddha

Default Re: Considering a second dog...

Oops! I submitted the post accidentally. I could edit but let's just make this reply about "Sasha".

... as I was saying, she is very timid around strangers. She didn't approach the front of the kennel unless I turned my back. The shelter worker brought her out of the kennel and walked her past all the other barking dogs... Sasha trying to make herself as small as possible. She walked nicely on the leash for me for a quick potty break.

Her initial meeting with Jackson (both on leash - Sasha with shelter employee) went well, we think. Briefly: circling sniffs, one nose-to-nose, more circling sniffs then basically ignored each other while exploring the front yard of the shelter. Leashes dropped in a fenced area was more exploring, mostly ignored, though Jackson tried to mount her twice. Both times, she told him off immediately and he complied. We didn't keep them together for too long, maybe 10-15 minutes? It was after shelter hours already so we had to get going. The only option at that point was to put her on hold, which I did. Now, we need to decide if we are going to bring her home.

In addition to her timidity around strangers (which I expect a little of the breed anyway), as well as the unknown of how Jackson will behave when she's at his home, I have one other BIG concern. Her paperwork says she screamed when separated from the person to whom she had bonded (I assume at the foster home).

Separation Anxiety.

I just don't know about that. I know YOU can't tell me if she'll do that at our home, how Jackson might react if she does, etc. But, any ... I don't know... suggestions? Thoughts?

I'm thinking about going to hang out with her a bit, alone, today or tomorrow. And maybe see if I can get more information about her from the foster.

Oh, one more thing. My husband is now unemployed - by choice. So we are NOT going to be leaving anyone home alone for 9 hours a day, 4-5 days a week. He'll be there most of the time. I'm the only one gone all day.

Our Cooper (a Puggle) suffered from separation anxiety when my son first got him. Nothing helped...meds, training, crate, etc.

When he came to stay with us and got stuck here, during Superstorm Sandy, until Thanksgiving, he was so happy because we had three other dogs who kept him company. So we wound up keeping him...he's got a lot of other problems, which we have just learned to live with.

Jackson being with Sasha will surely help, as will your husband being home.

Good luck!
    Joan, mom to my Angel Lena, Angel Gable, Angel Phoenix, Angel Doree, Cooper, Sibble, and now Raina.

Well thoughts. Hmm..... Lets see. Daddy is now home. Yay, on the doggy front! As far as adding a new four-legged family member....
    It'll happen when the time is right without much effort. It will fall into place because it is meant to be. Then you'll know.

Kathy
    Kathy and Angel Buddy. The mightiest of all lizard hunters!

Thank you for sharing your experience Joan. Kathy.... I agree.

If Dad is gonna be home from now on then it might be worth a shot. However, if he plans on going back to work at any time which would leave the dogs home alone, I would rethink this. She may bond to him and settle while he is home then fall apart when he returned to work. That wouldn't be good for anyone, especially her.

I just learned that I am apparently living with a dog who has this condition so if you decide to get her we can share ideas, tips, tricks, etc. yay, huh?
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

He has no plans to ever go back to work and basically says "just go get her already". LOL!

We have family visiting (my parents) from Minnesota. We spent the day with them yesterday, and they're headed over here today.

So. Tomorrow.................