Thread: Inappetence in dogs

Default Inappetence in dogs

Inappetence in our furbaby sure is worrisome and it can be frustrating trying to find something that they will eat. So if a situation would arise that your pup does lose its interest in eating, hopefully in this thread you will find something that will entice your furbaby's appetite.

Also included in this thread is a list of medications that can be used to stimulate a dog's appetite.

Please feel free to add any tips or information to this thread.

Default Re: Inappetence in dogs

Some food toppers I have used are: tripe, grated parmesan cheese, yogurt, warm meat broth, baby food (make sure it doesn't contain onion or onion powder), scrambled eggs, and boiled potatoes.

Medications used to stimulate an appetite: meclizine, mirtazapine, cyproheptadine. And a new prescription drug manufactured by Aratana Therapeutics Inc was just approved in 2016 called capromorelin (brand-name Entyce.)

Entyce product insert: http://www.aratana.com/wp-content/up...5x11-FINAL.pdf

A good information source regarding inappetence can be found on the DogAware site: http://dogaware.com/articles/wdjinappetence.html#meds

Sometimes just heating up the food was enough. If not, then other ideas I have tried in small amounts were canned dog or cat food, or fish (tuna, sardines). I've also cooked meat such as chicken or turkey, steak, meatloaf with lowfat burger/turkey burger and fresh veggies.
    Mama to Jackson and Kira, and my darling Cushing's angel, Visuddha

I agree with the comment about the food being served heated up. I also have good experiences with adding some garlic to my dog's meals (but be careful, keep reading!).
    My lab mix had suffered from a loss of appetite (It wasn't Cushing's back then, as far as I know, it was due to a bacterial infection, but might be worth giving a shot) and I've added a small amount of garlic to some of his meals and I must say it worked (although I was quite a sceptic about that advice when I first got it).
    But ask your vet about that or try reading about the amount you can use in his/her meals since garlic can be poisonous for dogs in case it's not dosed properly. Please mind that it's just an advice based on my personal experience!

Personally, I would stay away from garlic, even in minute amounts.

http://www.petpoisonhelpline.com/poison/garlic/
    Kathy and Angel Buddy. The mightiest of all lizard hunters!