Thread: Thinking of you, Saskia

Default Thinking of you, Saskia

And all of your beautiful beloved companions.

http://www.pawmygosh.com/stray-beach...m_campaign=ild

Default Re: Thinking of you, Saskia

Ah yes, I actually know Blue Blue just graduated as an official therapydog a few days ago I just wish that in those countries (the countries with all the strays) they would start using strays as therapydogs, servicedogs, etc... There's a lady in Greece who just started the first ever service dog trainingschool in Greece. Sadly, the current dogs in training, 2 yellow Labs and a German Shepard, are purebred dogs comming from breeders. And an American bred Pappilion that was donated by an American organisation. I asked her if she was going to use strays...and she was highly surprised by my question. Strays...? So eventhough I am delighted she started a service dog school...I am disappointed she isn't going to use strays...(anytime soon anyway. I do hope she will chenge her mind in time)

I now know of three former strays that work as service/therapy dogs here in my country...Blue from Greece working as a therapy dog (from the video in your link), Red, a Turkish stray working as a service dog and of course my former Polish stray Quincy

Saskia

What a beautiful video! Made me cry...

Sibbie is an emotional support dog. My husband is a social worker and she spends her days in his office offering support to his clients. It is so true that people sometimes find it easier to talk while petting a dog or cat. It is soothing.

While in the store yesterday, an older gentleman approached us and asked to pet Sibbie. I was on my way out of the store and he asked me to stop by his car where his wife was waiting for him and let her see and pet Sibbie. He said she needed a smile. They were parked in a handicapped space. Of course I did as he asked and his wife opened the car door to reach out and pet her. She was so happy that I did, and she did smile as she petted her.

Sibbie has that affect on everyone who sees her. Sometimes people who want to pet her will talk about a dog they have lost and we wind up crying together. I have had people just want to hold her for a few seconds and then thank me and walk away...

My mom has Alzheimer's and is so much calmer when she is petting my dogs. Lena used to sit in her lap, or next to her, and my mom would just look at her as she was petting her. I don't know what she was thinking, but she looked peaceful. It's one of the things she remembers...that I have dogs, she just doesn't remember that there are 4 of them.

I have been thinking about taking Sibbie to some of the senior centers around here...maybe I will.
    Joan, mom to my Angel Lena, Angel Gable, Angel Phoenix, Angel Doree, Cooper, Sibble, and now Raina.

I love the story of Blue and agree, it speaks of Saskia for sure. I love watching the videos of Quincy and knowing where she got her start...what an amazing and beautiful journey for both of you, Sas!

Thanks for sharing, Glynda!
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.