Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jackson and Pepper

Default Jackson and Pepper

You have already met Jackson. He is in a couple pictures in Visuddha's album, but I made him his own. Here's the latest:

Jackson is a 6.5 year old Australian cattle dog/English coon hound mix... we think. We got him from Colville Animal Sanctuary in January 2011 at about 6 months old. He had been left on their doorstep as a young pup. I have no idea why no one had adopted him in the 4 or 5 months he was there, except that he was waiting for us!

I took Visuddha with me to meet him. Jack was in a kennel, quite honestly jumping straight up and down inside the door, wanting to be let out. Once out, he was inquisitive but not pushy and Visuddha accepted him immediately. (They had another puppy in the kennel and the staff wanted me to consider him as well, so they put Jackson back inside and let this pup out. Visuddha wanted nothing to do with him - growling right away. So they changed places again. )

Visuddha didn't mind Jackson at all, until he got in the truck. Then he was irritated as anything! For the almost 2 hour drive home, I had V tied to the driver's door and in my lap, while Jack was behind the passenger seat of the truck. Once home, the two were just fine again.

Now, meet Pepper!

He has his own album with a few other pictures as well.

Pepper is an approximately 6 year old beagle. His former mom had to enter a nursing facility so was unable to keep him. He was at the rescue (WABR) for about a week and was neutered on the 12th. I put in my application for him late in the evening on Friday the 13th. They accepted my application in the morning - but Pepper had already been adopted!! I put in an application at another rescue over the weekend, for a girl they had. Last night, Judy from WABR called because his previous adoption had fell through.

She brought him over around 5pm and he and Jackson hit it off immediately. Tail wags, sniffing, chasing, humping . Before Judy left, Pepper found the cat in her hiding place. Cue the beagle bark/howl. Oh boy. This is going to be fun.

He is a good boy though. He knows his name (we are not going to change it), sit and down. He's apparently crate trained and doggy door trained, though we don't have either one for him. I need to get him a set of dishes and a jacket for our sub 10F weather!! He borrowed Jackson's this morning for a sniff around the neighborhood... going to take some work to get him to walk nicely on a leash!
    Mama to Jackson and Kira, and my darling Cushing's angel, Visuddha

Default Re: Jackson and Pepper

Awww, Shana...he is adorable (and so is Jackson!) Congratulations on the new arrival!
    Joan, mom to my Angel Lena, Angel Gable, Angel Phoenix, Angel Doree, Cooper, Sibble, and now Raina.

Shana -- I am so excited -- you are a beagle Mom!!!

Pepper is adorable -- Abbie was about the same age when I adopted her and I found it is really a good age for adoption -- none of the puppy stuff left and lots of good years ahead!

If you want any beagle tips or just share beagle stories, check out the beagle forum that I moderate -- http://www.mybeagleworld.com/

Looking forward to hearing all about the Jackson/Pepper adventures to come (and you know there will be many)!
    Judy H. (Always "Maggie and Abbie's Mom" & now "Sadie Sue's Mom")
    Venice, FL

Yay!!!!!!!

Yayyy! Great news! Pepper is a lucky dog

I'm going to use this thread for both of these boys, separately as well as together. Today's post is about how they're getting along.... or not...

Yesterday I was at work, while my husband was home with the dogs. The dogs were loose, left alone for about half an hour and were fine when I got home.

After I put my things away, I was at the sink with my back to the rest of the kitchen. Jackson was either under the table or near it, and Pepper about 4' away sniffing the floor near the garbage can. I don't know what prompted it but Jackson attacked him. I immediately corrected with a sharp "hey - knock it off" which they responded to. I took Pepper into the laundry hallway which has a door to separate it and made sure he was ok. There was a tooth indent on his snout but otherwise fine. I closed the door, leaving him in there and checked Jackson who was also fine.

I gave Jackson his dinner in the kitchen and then Pepper in the laundry area. They went outside separately. After they were both inside, I was sitting on the floor with Jackson giving him attention. Pepper was again sniffing in the kitchen and as he approached, Jackson was watching him then bark/growled when he got a little too close. I told him again knock it off. Pepper retreated and went into the laundry. I gave Jackson a bit more attention then went to the doorway of the laundry, where Pepper looked at me as if to say "what did I do?". I was giving him attention when Jackson kind of peeked around the corner and growled at Pepper again. Grrrr. Knock it off.

I took Pepper to get fitted for a coat, so Jack was home for an hour. When we got back, I spent a little time at my desk. Jackson typically goes under my desk, but Pepper went in there as I sat down. I had him move and Jackson lay down in his usual spot without incident. Pepper was nearby, first to my left then behind me. No issues.

They went outside together, following each other around but no arguments.

I cleaned out a crate (previously used for Jackson when we first got him), put a sleeping bag and one of our couch pillows inside. Pepper went in and I closed the door. He licked his front paws for a while then went to sleep. In the meantime, Jackson was on the couch while I watched TV, also sleeping.

At bedtime, I let Jackson outside (Pepper didn't need to go) then took the crate upstairs to my bedroom. Pepper went in and slept quietly all night. Jackson was on the floor, then on my bed, as usual.

Breakfast was the same as dinner - Jackson in the kitchen, Pepper in the laundry. There was one moment this morning when Jackson growled at him but it was short lived and quickly corrected.

Jack was walked; then Pepper. Jackson wanted so badly to go on a second walk but I can't handle them both yet. Pepper has no idea how to walk on a leash so until he learns that, we'll be taking separate trips.

They got a few treats in the kitchen after the walk, then Pepper went back in the crate while I got ready for work. I brought the crate back downstairs so he could be near my husband (who fell asleep on the couch ) and will be asking him to put him in the crate before he leaves for work so they're not loose and unsupervised.

awww what precious boys, Shana! I think in time Jackson will settle and they will be fine. There is usually a period of playing "who's the boss" then they find their places in the pack and work things out. That has been my experience so far anyway. We are going thru something of the same with Bud - he is the only male and the largest dog in the house by 30 lbs. so he feels he should be top dog....until Mom speaks then he remembers his place. You're a great mom so I know this will work out fine!
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Shana -- I agree with Leslie -- it will just take some time (and corrections by Mom) for each to find their place. Jackson has been an only pup for a brief while and now has to adjust to an "intruder". I think your separating them as needed is a good plan!
    Judy H. (Always "Maggie and Abbie's Mom" & now "Sadie Sue's Mom")
    Venice, FL

Aww thanks ladies. I don't really have experience with introductions other than what I mentioned before between Visuddha and Jackson. We did have another dog at the time - Jupiter - who was the same age as V but suffering from lymphoma and passed away only a couple days after we got Jackson. Jackson was a puppy and Jupiter growled if he got close, so he kept his distance. Jackson and V got into one 'fight' ... Visuddha got him on the snout but that was it. Hopefully this will be the same.

Pepper seems to have been very well socialized. He was a sniffing hound at the pet store but otherwise well behaved. They had a pup there who is apparently not very good around big dogs (they're working on that) and Pepper was friendly as can be to him. He was also friendly to a neighbor dog we ran into on our walk this morning.... who was *not* particularly comfortable with Pepper sniffing. But that little one named Max ran off and Pepper could have cared less. (Jackson had a similar experience with Max and when he ran off, Jackson barked like a crazy fool.) Pepper is sniffing and tail wagging the entire time on our walk otherwise. I am very hopeful. I think I might be falling for this chunky monkey.

Jackson just attacked him again, we were all sitting together nicely. I think pepper just looked at him for too long. now Pepper won't even come into the room where we are... he howled like crying after for a few seconds and ran towards the front door. When I got to him he calmed down. He is not hurt physically but he is really scared now.