Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Cushing and Calcinosis Cutis

Default Re: Cushing and Calcinosis Cutis

Hi everyone!
    Just checking in with you guys because this forum really saved JJ and me a couple years ago and I thank you all for that!

JJ is doing well right now. His Cushings is in control and his CC has not flared up. Over the past 2 years I have had to adjust his medication a few times- last winter was a little rough with a couple dose increases and talk of a possible ultrasound being done if this continued to make sure he had not developed an adrenal tumor. JJ's dermatologist (who works with a lot of dogs with CC due to Cushings) explained to me that this can sometimes happen and that if JJ continued to need more trilostaine increases I should definitely get the ultrasound. Since then I watch JJ even more closely and put energy out for perfect ACTH tests! JJ is super sensitive and begins showing symptoms if his post number rises above 5. I learned (from this thread, in fact) that for dogs with CC keeping the post below 5 is ideal for controlling the CC anyway. I have found that keeping his post below 5 is best overall for JJ overall, for all his symptoms. I also work hard to keep him from necessary stress because I think too much stress can give him a flare up... either that or the stress I feel worrying about it makes me extra paranoid.

Also, I was reading an interesting article on dogs, their humans, and cortisol. An interesting tidbit I read is that if a dogs person's cortisol rises, there was a positive correlation in their canines cortisol... so basically our stress is felt, to some degree, by our dogs. This has caused me to try and maintain my own stress levels around JJ (I have anxiety issues) and I DO believe that me being in a good place helps JJ's stress levels- and consequently his cortisol levels. Anyone think this has merit?

I am getting ready to go south for the holidays (my work takes me south for the winter). I am debating about whether or not to put JJ on a plane (we usually fly, it is a long drive- he flys in the cabin with me and last year it okay except for one flight when JJ got really hot and stressed out- normally he does well). I was planning to drive originally but feel like 3 days in the car and me stressing out may be worse than one day going through airports and 3 hours on a plane? Last winter we were going through dose changes and I was trying to see if these correlated with air travel (We flew 6 times last year over a 5 month period). This year I will not go back and forth- just down and back one time. Any thoughts on whether the fairly high stress of 1 day of travel will have any effect longterm on JJ's Cushings Control or if his cortisol will most likely return to normal after we land and I get him into a routine again down south? Either way, I am fearful the change in pace and location is going to be rough on JJ's cortisol- but initially do you think flying or driving would be the best choice? I want to make this as easy on JJ as possible. He does know the people and houses down south- so he will be comfortable once we get there, just really excited and surrounded by a lot more action than up north.

Thank you all so very much. This forum made a HUGE difference in JJ and my life when we found it and we just want to express our gratitude for you all!

Oh, Jj is next due for an ACTH test at the end of December and we will keep you posted on how he is doing!

Hi Brittany, and thanks so much for this great update on JJ! We surely appreciate your kind words so very much. But we also know what a huge role your own loving care has played in his treatment success. So lets give pats on the back all the way around ;-)))))))).

As far as your trip south, I would honestly take your own stress level very much into consideration, too. If making a one-day trip by air reduces the number of hours of anxiety involved for you both, then that’s the route I’d go. Either way, a few hours or days of added stress/excitement shouldn’t result in any permanent harm for JJ. His cortisol level may indeed temporarily elevate, but once everything else settles down, the cortisol should quickly follow. So I’d pick the travel option that is easier for you, overall. And I think you’re right — whichever option keeps you the calmest may also keep him calmer, as well.

Thanks again, so much, for this update. And please do keep checking in whenever you have the chance. Sending my warmest wishes to you both.

Marianne

Hi Brittany!

Good to hear from you and JJ again! It is especially good to hear he is doing well but with you as his mom I would have expected nothing less. Like Marianne said, your love has played as much a role in his well-being as anything else ever could.

I agree with her assessment about the travel plans as well - which ever approach will be the least stressful for you both is the way I would choose. JJ may experience a bit of stress at first with the trip and new surroundings but remember - THE most important factor in calming him is you and he will have you by his side no matter where he is staying or how he got there.

Hugs,
    Leslie
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.