Page 34 of 39 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast

Thread: Skippy has passed; 12 y/o Yorkie with likely pituitary tumor (Trilostane)

Maryland but currently staying in Indiana

Default Re: Skippy, 12 y/o Yorkie with likely pituitary tumor (Trilostane)

Hi everyone,
    The second ultrasound of Skippy's kidneys revealed nothing; kidneys are normal, no blood clots, no renal lymphoma, no nothing except acute kidney failure of unknown etiology. Since I am stubborn and refuse to be a quitter, I ask Purdue about bringing Skippy home on an IV; I thought the IMS was going to choke but did say that he would have to seek approval from the hospital director. Okay, I see. Thinking more clearly about this idea, I can think of a dozen obstacles and a multitude of things that could go very wrong indeed as he would need to be on the fluids for weeks or months - if it were to work. He did say that Skippy is not a candidate for dialysis and based on what I've read, I truly would not put him through such an ordeal. Marianne, I did ask about bringing the boy hone to die; IMS believes it would be a very painful death accompanied by severe headache and other painful conditions. I ask about pain meds; he said nope, not from him. So, I'm picking him up at noon and will take him to local vet, who he hates as well, a few hours after. Purdue will perform a Necropsy and I've ask local vet about transporting his body, if not I will take his body back, but at least Skippy won't have to go back there alive. I saw him twice yesterday. The first for 10 minutes before the ultrasound, then last night they said I could only take him out for 10 minutes. He was ravenous and I fed him the fattest, crustiest KFC; then I took him back in but no one came for him - for one hour! We went back to the car where Skippy nearly ate the KFC box. When they finally came for him, they literally had to drag him from the front of the building all the way down the hallway until he was out of sight. It is heartbreaking.

I am trying very hard to regain perspective; there are millions and millions of tragedies daily involving violence, war, medical mistakes, accidents and such that lead to horrifying pain, suffering and inevitably, death. And, I know that Skippy is but one little mutt who has enjoyed the best of lives and the finest care a dog could hope for. In return, he has given back to me ten fold, asking for simply nothing in return. He taught me so much and made me wiser, more loving and more compassionate toward others who are experiencing their own anguish and pain. He has made me a kinder, gentler woman and it's been my privilege to spend a decade of my life with him. I am an old social worker who ran a domestic violence agency for thirty years so I've seen and experienced a lot of loss, pain and anguish personally and professionally. I've lost three dogs previously but nothing in the past prepared me for what Skippy and I have experienced this past year. I'm not a believer in afterlife, bridges and such but I know that the imprint that Skippy has had on one life, my life, is indelible and will be forever enduring. I will try to give back to this forum when I am again sane as all of you have been so wise, caring and giving of your time and knowledge. In the meantime, thank you and Godspeed Skippy.
    Skippy's Mom

Bless you, Carole. This is one of the hardest things we have to face. You and your precious boy have fought the "good fight" from day one, side by sided, united every step of the way. I have watched your journey with joy, sorrow, inspiration, and empathy. There is so little I can do for you now but be here if you need to talk. But do let me do this for you and for Skippy - let my belief in the next life give you a bit a comfort, my belief that you will walk with Skippy by your side and I will walk with Squirt by my side once again some day. The imprint you talk about is forever...that "tie that binds" never breaks. They remain with us always in one form or the other, their memories live on. I hope one day you hear Skippy's nails clicking down the hallway as I do Squirt's and you will know in your heart your baby boy is there.

You are a great mom and have done your best, and beyond, to give Skippy the very best life possible regardless of the situation. I know he is grateful and will leave this life on the wings of your love. Please know we are here for you - we DO understand.

My deepest sympathies,
    Leslie

Instructions To a Guardian Angel of Dogs
    By ginger Patton

Hello. I’ve been expecting you for quite some time.
    Here, come sit beside us for awhile
    and let me tell you about this old friend of mine.
    He might look tattered or maybe old
    But I won’t say goodbye until you’ve been told.
    He had the brightest eyes I had ever seen,
    And wore a beautiful fur coat that would outshine a king.
    He was never prissy but walked with an aire ……
    And oh so polite, you could take him most anywhere.
    He could run like the wind and could catch anything he chased
    But he protected and sat with me when I had problems to face.
    You could not find a friend nearly so dear.
    Because no matter the trouble he always stayed near…
    He has never asked for much from me;
    Just to love and respect him and I think you’ll agree,
    To give him a good meal plus a nice warm bed is not much to ask
    When he has given me all his love and to him this was no task.
    Now I understand you have a schedule to keep.
    But I have a small favor before he nods off to sleep.
    Please fold your wings around him and let him feel young while in no pain.
    Dear Guardian Angel of Pets,
    please keep him safe and happy until I see him again.

By Ginger Patton
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Carole, I am here, too, and my heart and thoughts will remain with you throughout this day. You have done all that is humanly possible to heal Skippy’s body. What a journey, indeed. As heartbreaking as it is, today is the day that you will grant his spirit release from a body that just cannot be healed. The love and the memories last forever, though. And we’ll remain here, right by your side, in the days to come. We cannot replace Skippy’s place next to you, but we can celebrate his life and we can support you in your loss.

Fare thee well on your newest journey, little brave boy, and loving hugs of comfort bring sent to your mom.
    Marianne

My heart is breaking with yours, dearest Carole. We are here for you and always will be.

Sending tons of loving hugs, ear scritches and belly rubs for your dear Skippy... and more hugs for you, Carole. Godspeed little one.
    Mama to Jackson and Kira, and my darling Cushing's angel, Visuddha

Maryland but currently staying in Indiana

Just send me to the asylum. Purdue just called and Skippy's numbers are way down; his creatinine is 1.2 (normal) and his BUN is down to 70, still high as the top of normal is 30. But, they talked to me about bringing him HOME or keeping him there and try to taper the fluids. I will pick him up this afternoon for an hour and we will taper for a couple of days and see where we are. The IMS says that he thinks that there would be tremendous psychological benefit to Skippy to get him home, but cautions that it could all go south quickly. I no longer know what to think or if my mind is capable of thought. Thanks again, as usual.

And,no they don't have any explanation as to why this has happened. Regards, Carole
    Skippy's Mom

Skippy's amazing, just like his Mom.

I'm sure we'll all join you in that asylum.

Still sending those hugs, and positive thoughts.
    Mama to Jackson and Kira, and my darling Cushing's angel, Visuddha

Oh wow! I wonder if giving him sub-que fluids at home would help? This is amazing!!! I feel horrible about my earlier post now. I am sure hoping for the very best!!!
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Double wow!! This is amazing news and I surely hope the trend continues! And no matter what new turns this rollercoaster ride may take, we’re with you and Skippy all the way...!

That's great news, Carole!