Page 36 of 39 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 ... LastLast

Thread: Skippy has passed; 12 y/o Yorkie with likely pituitary tumor (Trilostane)

Default Re: Skippy, 12 y/o Yorkie with likely pituitary tumor (Trilostane)

The pancreas maintains the body’s blood sugar balance, as the primary hormones of the pancreas include insulin and glucagon, and both regulate blood glucose.And because of this important funtion from the pancreas, unfortunately, diabetes is the most common disorder associated with pancreatitis.

Regarding proteinuria, many things can cause protein loss such as high blood pressure, UTI's, and even certain medications, so my thought is that with everything that is going on with Skippy the chances are likely that his urine does contain an abnoral amount of protein.

It is a really positive sign that he has an appetite. Some foods that are ok to be given to dogs with pancreatitis and kidney issues are chicken breasts (skinless, boneless), rice boiled to a mush consistency, eggs, and fish.

Love and hugs, Lori

Maryland but currently staying in Indiana

Lori, this is very helpful; I am not sure that Skippy and I can "do" one more disease but I won't get in front of my skis. Back at you,
    xo, Carole
    Skippy's Mom

The IMS is truly dumbstruck about Skippy. This morning after a 50% reduction in fluids, Skippy's BUN is 33 (Range is 15 -30) and Creatinine is .09 (Range is .05 - 1.9). He ate half a can of RC low fat for me this afternoon and I took him some pumpkin that IMS requested to offer for the diarrhea that he had yesterday. IMS said he's holding his breath and does not want to talk to me about what's going on as they continue the taper. Took Skippy out for a brief walk and he walked directly to my car and put his paws up; He looks and acts significantly brighter than he has in weeks and I had to carry him back in. Holding my breath.
    Skippy's Mom

That's a great update!! Keeping all various body parts crossed that he continues to improve.

What wonderful news!!! I so hope this trend continues!!
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Wow that's great! Skippy's a little miracle man! Let's hope his good days outnumber his bad!

Great news! I'm so happy to see this. I'm going to be away for awhile, so I hope to see continued improvements when I get back. Go Team Skippy!!
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)

Annie and Sharlene and Everyone,
    Skippy came home last night after 14 days on fluids; he has acute and chronic pancreatitis, kidney disease of indeterminate stage, a urinary tract infection and of course, Cushing's. He is on low fat RC and will not eat it; last night and today, I mixed it with boiled chicken breast to get pancreatitis meds down but he's eaten a third of a can and a handful of chicken breast since yesterday. He's lost several pounds since this crisis and while Purdue won't say, it seems improbable that he can bounce back from this. IMS called tonight and will call again in the a.m. He thinks it's likely that Skippy is holding out for better grub and says we can go for a while without eating as long as I can get the meds down and he's drinking. He walked eight or ten blocks today, no diarrhea, no vomiting but sleeping mostly. Underlying cause of assault on pancreas is uncertain, likely idiopathic and Cushing's related.

One thing I learned from this IMS,who is specializing in kidney disease, that may be useful to others, is that Ursodiol has been used to treat pancreatitis in humans for a while. IMS says now they are treating dogs using this drug. Skippy is his first. Skippy is not on subQ as they didn't think it would help much; he will be retested tomorrow or Monday. His labs yesterday were BUN 77 and Creatinine 1.1. Thanks again for your support.
    Skippy's Mom

So glad that Skippy got to come home. There's nothing like your own turf, bed, everything.

You are one very strong lady Carol. I would not been able to hold everything together as long as you have. I have yet to figure out which one of you is stronger. You both must pull strength from each other. When it's time for Skippy to fly, know that you did everything you possibly could for him. He loves you for that.

Kathy
    Kathy and Angel Buddy. The mightiest of all lizard hunters!

I am so glad to hear that he is home!! Getting them to eat can be a chore to do. Is the RC kibble or canned? If canned I wonder if warming in the microwave or baking in the oven would make it more desirable to eat. You could probably do this with the kibble too, maybe adding chicken broth to the kibble and letting it sit until the kibble has soaked up the broth.

I didn't know that Ursodiol was being used for pancreatitis, thanks for sharing that, and I hope it will help Skippy with his pancreatitis. You are doing such an exceptional job with Skippy. You both are in my thoughts and prayers.

Hugs, Lori