Page 35 of 39 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast

Thread: Skippy has passed; 12 y/o Yorkie with likely pituitary tumor (Trilostane)

Default Re: Skippy, 12 y/o Yorkie with likely pituitary tumor (Trilostane)

You'll have plenty of company. Many of us are regulars, or visit often.

So glad that you're able to bring him home.

Quote Originally Posted by Carole Alexander View Post
    Just send me to the asylum.
    Kathy and Angel Buddy. The mightiest of all lizard hunters!

Maryland but currently staying in Indiana

Leslie, I am the one who should be embarrassed; I write this lengthy dissertation describing my feelings, etc., about Skippy's final day in this life and then he's given a reprieve. But I think we both meant what we said as sincere and genuine. As did all of you who made such loving and kind comments - and I thank you on my and Skippy's behalf. I am incredibly drained and I'm sure my cortisol is at Cushing's levels. I went to pick up Skippy to bring him home for a little while and ran into a glitch. The administrative staff at the hospital have snapped to the fact that the IMS' have been letting me take Skippy out. He came home for an hour today under the frame that I was taking him for a long walk. (This is considered a discharge and there is a hefty add on fee for readmission.)Skippy looks better and seems better and was extremely glad to be home. He again ate voraciously, slept a little, followed me around and went outdoors. He is weak and remains the walking wounded but he was quite responsive for the two hours we spent together in and out of the hospital. (He did a quick run to try to escape out the hospital door when I had him unleased for a few moments and a student opened the door.) I am trying hard not to raise my hopes or expectations. Although his kidney numbers are looking very good at the moment, he may now be a "fluid dependent" dog at this point. I will know more tomorrow, but I am worried as we approach another week end without any clear direction. While I think they might have released him with Sub Q treatment today, I felt that making an effort to taper him was the safest. And, as many of you all know well, Skippy's prognosis remains very guarded. Add to that the Cushing's, the plethora of info out there about diet, nutrition, supplements, vitamins, refusal to eat, etc., and I am more than overwhelmed. I was very grateful for the time with him today and that he's still alive; he seemed equally grateful. Today will make it harder if the end remains near and the numbers were a fluke but I will treasure whatever time I have left with him. I will wait to post again until I know something definitely definite. In the meantime, you all are the very best. Carole
    Skippy's Mom

Just checked in on you and Skippy. No matter what happens going forward or when, I am very glad that he is home with you and enjoying being there.

Hugs

I have gritted my teeth since waking up at 5 am. Talked with IMS at noon; Skippy is having a pancreatitis flare up which has elevated BUN and Creatinine. Numbers are C -2.5 and BUN 93. But he thinks there may have been a testing mistake with Creatinine! They were going to run blood and presumably urine again at 1pm and have put him on lowest fat KD if he's eating it; they gave him an anti nausea injection as he was licking lip. IMS says he looks good and is active. I really would like to try to bring him home with Sub Q if they will agree. IMS is supposed to have called me two hours ago with PM test results. I am going to run over there and find Skippy's student to get a copy. IMS rattled off numbers this morning that all seemed high but it was too quick for my addled brain.
    Skippy's Mom

Oh no, Carole, I sorry to hear that his pancreas is acting up, it's such a fickle organ. Please keep us updated.

I took Skippy out for a half hour walk late afternoon. He was lively all things being relative. And, he walked gladly; anything to get out of the cage - remarkable since he has not wanted to walk for months. His values are back down - BUN is 63 and Creatinine is 1.4. They had not started the KD but will tonight. Who knows whether he will eat. They are starting to taper the fluids tonight by 15%. He still has soft stool approaching diarrhea. IMS said this afternoon that he thought there was a 50/50 chance he would recover. And who knows for how long. One day at a time...I have so many other questions but I'm so, so tired. Sweet dreams everyone.

Carole
    Skippy's Mom

Last night, Skippy tolerated the first taper at 15% reduction. He was receiving 175 (is it kg?) of fluid since he was admitted. They started a second 15% taper this morning and will do labs at 4pm. He is eating a little of the KD and the student thinks he's alert and looks good. They are treating the diarrhea. This morning's labs are BUN 64 and Creatinine 1.3. Maybe, just maybe the chief nephrologist who told the first IMS, "give it time" (and money), may be right.
    Skippy's Mom

I'm so glad to read that Skippy is improving and hopefully those kidney values will stabilize. Great job, Mom!

These ups and downs are so stressful, Carole. The poor little guy! I hope he gets to come home soon.
    Joan, mom to my Angel Lena, Angel Gable, Angel Phoenix, Angel Doree, Cooper, Sibble, and now Raina.

I saw Skippy this afternoon and took him for my 15 minutes. He had a massive diarrhea attack in the middle of Purdue's hallway as soon as the student handed him over. The student and her colleague did the cleaning; the student was lamenting this week that she had never seen the dog poop. I said, "here you go, pudding". Lengthy chat with the IMS this afternoon; I just wish I could remember half of what he said. Skippy's BP is down to 110 and he's not anemic, but the taper is raising sodium levels. He has consulted with Scott-Moncrieff multiple times and they are in agreement that his primary problem of the moment is NOT Cushing's. If he survives, Scott-Moncrieff thinks that we may see further reduction in his cortisol levels because of the radiation. This IMS is more concerned about the pancreatitis than his kidneys which are looking much better each day. I forgot to ask about proteinuria. They, of course, would like to keep him until he is completely stable in respect to his labs, off the fluids and not needing subQ. (I said let me create a GoFundSkippy page.) He's reluctant to offer a prognosis. He and Scott-Moncrieff are concerned that Skippy may develop diabetes (the boy's glucose is normal currently) and the explanation involved Cushing's, the pancreatitis and his kidney disease but I will have to ask him to explain again and I will record. He said there is no research that he's found supporting the notion that Vetoryl triggers kidney disease. Skippy is hating the hospital and will walk anywhere that is away from the place; I have to carry him the last half block in. He's on a low fat food that he's reluctantly eating and on diarrhea meds, the fluids, amlodipine and his weight is stable. I'm unsure if he is peeing as much as they are hydrating him. He's very hungry for real food. They did labs tonight but I haven't heard any numbers; this IMS is very thorough and seems to be trying hard to figure out Skippy's puzzling situation, especially now that he's moved on from his Tuesday pronouncement that, "you must give Skippy death with dignity now". I am more hardened to the reality of the situation now and if I don't have to file for bankruptcy over this, Skippy and I will plunder forward with clearer eyes. I hope everyone is good and hugging their pups. I am blessed.
    Carole
    Last edited by Carole Alexander; 11-17-2017 at 06:07 PM. Reason: typo
    Skippy's Mom