Page 11 of 39 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Skippy has passed; 12 y/o Yorkie with likely pituitary tumor (Trilostane)

Default Re: Skippy, 12 y/o Yorkie with likely pituitary tumor (Trilostane)

How is Skippy doing? Have you started him on the milk thistle yet? If so, how much are you giving him? I'm hesitant to say this but after 3 days on it I think I see a difference in Charlotte. She still doesn't eat or drink on her own but she is sleeping better and more alert and interested in things. Also less tremoring. In general, it seems like she feels better. Keep us posted.

Laurie
    Last edited by LaurieS; 04-01-2017 at 07:58 PM.

Maryland but currently staying in Indiana

Laurie, I can't say whether the 360 mg daily of milk thistle is making any difference after 3 days. (I decided on that dose because the manufacturer recommended 3 capsules x 360 mg for adults.) I would guess that Charlotte could take two capsules of that dose but I would ask someone more knowledgeable than me. I am glad to hear that Charlotte is doing a little better. Will she eat or drink on her own yet? There is a person, westcoastflea1, who began posting last April and posted here this week stating that she was treating her dog with Cabergoline for the last 3mos. and he is now symptom free. Her posts raise a ton of questions but I did research Cabergoline; studies suggest it works with 20 to 30% of dogs with a particular type of tumor. These dopamine drugs came up when I last saw Scott-Moncrieff and she was dismissive of their potential to help but I'll raise it again.

I am compiling a list of questions for the IMS visit on Tuesday as continuing to allow Skippy to languish without trying to secure an accurate diagnosis (whether or not he can be treated) seems like the only option for me. He now has new sores near his butt and on his foot. He chewed the foot one until bleeding. I treated with Stat, a doggie wound care product, gauze and green painter's tape and so far he is leaving it alone. I have no clue whether it is CC. BP meds were increased last Thursday and he seems a little more comfortable; he is eating and drinking with gusto and belly is quite bloated although he has lost a few lbs. Lethargy is constant but if he has canine cognitive dysfunction or a macro, I see no change in the past month. I'll update when or if I learn more. Take care of you and Charlotte.
    Skippy's Mom

Thanks for turning me on to Declan's thread and the use of cabergoline. I have read through it and i think i will ask Charlotte's vet about it tomorrow. Seems it couldnt hurt to try it. We are day to day with her and id like to feel like we have given her every chance.

My milk thistles capsules are 175mg and ive been giving her 3 daily. She could probably take more than that. According to one article i read it said sick animals could take up to 200mg per 10 pounds of body weight. This is her 4th day on it but the second day she didnt get her full dose as i found one capsule on the floor the next morning. Last night was rough, lots of tremoring and she couldnt get comfortable. She is weak this morning but did eat some. Not sure if we have time for anything to work. It would be nice to know how quickly Declan responded to the cabergoline.

Laurie

The Milk Thistle dosage is helpful to know; I found a couple of articles on Cabergoline that I will post on your thread. Wrote a long email with all my questions to Dr. Scott-Moncrieff this afternoon. Hang in there.
    Skippy's Mom

Skippy has a macro tumor, between 10 & 11 cm as diagnosed with an MRI today; I will meet with Purdue staff next week to assess next steps, if any. Currently he has very high BP and massive diarrhea and I am treating for both. Such a long and painful journey. I don't know what the future holds. I only wish I had had the MRI done six months ago. Neither Vetoryl nor Mitotane will help him. Purdue's radiation treatment seems antiquated on first blush; they are starting a new surgery pituitary surgery program, but it's all way too much for mind. Thanks so much to all of you for your kindness and support. I will let you know when I can of the outcome of Skippy's journey.
    Skippy's Mom

Oh no!!! Oh I'm so sorry. Poor little Skippy. I will be thinking of you both & I send you love and hugs.
    Annie.

Im so sorry Carole! I know you suspected this but not what you wanted to hear. I also wish i would have been told the importance of diagnosing a macro early on, before i spent thousands on other diagnostics and meds. My thoughts and prayers go out to you and Skippy!

Laurie

I am so sorry to hear this, Carol. Both drugs would allow the tumor to grow more rapidly by reducing the cortisol so in cases like this letting it run high is probably a good thing.

Please know we are here anytime you need to talk, vent, cry, whatever. And as you are able we would love to know how you and your baby are doing.

Hugs,
    Leslie and the gang
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

We are with you Carole, whatever comes your and Skippy's way. I really had hoped that the MRI wouldn't show anything. I don't know what Purdue does, but I know University of Davis now has radiation treatment to shrink the tumors that only require at most 1 or 2 doses. If Purdue still uses the 12 dose standard, maybe you could ask them about the lesser dose strategy that Davis is using and they can reach out to Davis.
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)

Hi Carole, just popping in to see how you and Skippy are doing and say I'm thinking of you both.
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)