Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone treated with 9-cis Retinoic Acid?

Default Re: Has anyone treated with 9-cis Retinoic Acid?

You're welcome, please let me know how it goes with Dr. Castillo and if you begin to treat with the 9-cis Retinoic acid.

Best Wishes to You and Griffey,

Mitchell

Tried calling the number you gave but they didn't speak English and hung up on me. Do you speak Spanish?

Mitchell, was the pharmacy you posted recommended by Dr Castillo?

Yes, the pharmacy posted is the one suggested by Dr. Castillo. I do not speak spanish and used online translation software through Microsoft to corrospond with Dr. Castillo through email. You will need a prescription from your US Vet to purchase from the pharmacy. Ask to speak with Linda, she speaks english.

I couldn't get the pharmacy number to work. I must be doing something wrong.

This is how I dial the number:
    Dial 011 54 1148114648

Alternate number:
    Dial 011 54 1148114325

Okay thanks. I will try again tomorrow.

Mitchell,

I couldn't get the pharmacy email to work. I'm very interested in trying this if I can get hold of someone there.

Default Cushings Myopathy / Trilostane

Hello,

Datsun is a 9-year old Cairn Terrier being treated with Trilostane which was started late October 2016. He is being given Trilostane 2X daily, 12 hrs apart. He weighs 6.5kg and is being given 15mg in the morning and 15mg in the evening. We began in October with 5mg 2X. Very carefully his daily total has been incrementally increased by 5mg approximately every 14-days and has gotten a good result from the Trilostane. His most recent Pre STIM number most recently was 6.3 and Post STIM was 6.1 (his first post STIM was at 70!). We are now going to wait 25-days for a STIM recheck along with Blood Chemistry to check ALT levels etc.
    My question is, has anyone found anything that can be done to help Datsun with his Cushing's Myopathy in the meanwhile.
    I'm very concerned especially since following the administration of his Trilostane at about 1 1/2 hours he becomes very wobbly, almost unable to stand up. This condition is temporary lasting about 1 hour, but consistently happens with each time he's given the Trilostane. This began occuring at about the point in time he was administered 10mg 2X.

Thanks to Everyone at K9Cushings,
    Mitchell

Hello Mitchell, and welcome back to you and Datsun. You'll see that I've merged your newest post into your original thread about Datsun. We like to consolidate all replies in a single thread so that a dog's history and discussion and can be easily found and summarized in one place.

May I ask how recently this last ACTH test was performed? Also, what was the timing relative to the trilostane dosing on the day of the test? The reason why I ask is because trilostane is reported to begin exercising its maximum effect around 1.5 hours after dosing -- exactly the timeframe in which you are observing the ill effects in Datsun. This would normally lead one to believe that his wobbliness may be an adverse effect from his cortisol dipping too low at that time, although a post-ACTH result of 6.1 would make that a bit puzzling (depending upon the testing protocol you are following).

Dechra recommends that testing be performed 4-6 hours after trilostane is given along with a full meal. Is that the protocol you have been following? Let's start with that question, and then go from there.

Marianne