Page 32 of 34 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 LastLast

Thread: Questions about Cushings - Charlotte has crossed the Bridge

Default Re: Questions about Cushings symptoms and diagnosis

((((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))))
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Thanks Carole, I won't pretend it isn't hard but I'm glad she is still here with me. She was so sweet last night when she cuddled up with me in bed and put her head on my shoulder and just stared at me with such love. That made it all worth it!

I met with the medical research analyst today and he had some very interesting information. He suggested I look into several supplements for Charlotte: APF for Dogs (utilizing adaptogens which he gave me some info on to read about, it's on my reading list for tonight), Max Immune Forte and Adrenal Harmony Gold. At this point I'm going to order the APF and see how she does with that. I was impressed with the little bit he told me about it and look forward to learning more. I will also continue with the turmeric supplement and I have added milk thistle as well. Although she still isn't drinking on her own she has seemed a little more energetic and responsive the past 24 hours. I'm trying to stay positive but also live in the reality which is Cushings disease. I will keep you all posted.

Oh and a side note... the vet I called yesterday for home euthanasia returned my call today. She knows the man I met with today and the women who gave Charlotte her Bowen Therapy treatment and she encouraged me to give this a try.

Laurie
    Last edited by LaurieS; 03-30-2017 at 11:50 PM.

I've been thinking of you today and wondering how your sweet girl was doing. And you too of course. How sweet that she cuddled with you, she knows you're trying everything to help her and she loves you for it. Hoping and praying for you all.

Annie.

Hugs and prayers for you both as you go day by day.
    Raina Bobo's mom

Hi. I'm so glad to hear that Charlotte is still with you.
    It is a horrible roller coaster ride and not the fun kind.

Big Hugs!
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)

Maryland but currently staying in Indiana

Laurie, I spent a couple of hours trying to find more on cabergoline.

Here is what I found so far:
    http://www.nepvma.org/docs/1CushingsDiagnosisAndRx.pdf

"Cabergoline The presence and inhibitory action of dopaminergic receptors in the anterior pituitary lobe is well known, and dopaminergic drugs such as bromocriptine and cabergoline, have long been used in dogs to inhibit the secretion of prolactin for reproductive problems. Carbergoline is a dopamine D2 agonist with a higher affinity and longer half-life than bromocriptine. Dogs with Cushing's disease can have pituitary tumors that arise from either the pars distalis (anterior lobe) or pars intermedia (intermediate lobe) of the pituitary gland. In both cases, it is known that the secretion of ACTH and alpha-MSH can be inhibited by dopamine. In another recent study by Castillo and colleagues (2007), 40 dogs with PDH that were treated with cabergoline (0.07mg/kg/week, divided into every other day treatments). The only side effect observed was vomiting, which occurred 1 hour after taking the first and/or second dose; no additional vomiting was observed despite continued administration. Out of the 40 dogs treated, 24 (60%) responded after the first month whereas 16 (40%) failed completely. Of the dogs that showed a favorable response, 7 of the 24 later became non-responsive with return of clinical signs of Cushing's disease. Therefore, a full prolonged response was observed in 17 (42.5%) of the 40 dogs, which were followed for up to 4 years. A year after the treatment, there was a significant decrease in ACTH, alpha-MSH, urinary cortisol/creatinine ratio, and of the tumor size evaluated by nuclear magnetic resonance. Dogs responding to cabergoline lived significantly longer than those in the control group. Overall, cabergoline appears to be useful treatment for dogs with Cushing's disease. Additional studies are justified, especially to see if combination treatment with mitotane or trilostane would improve the response." Also:

http://betpharm.com/downloads/cushingscastillo2008.pdf
    https://link.springer.com/article/10...102-009-0209-8

Much of the research seems to be on people Cushing's, that is equally horrible, but may have application to pups. One article I read suggests that combining Cabergoline with the K_______________drug that used to be used to treat Cushing's may be effective. Overall, way too little research. But I agree, our dogs are not experiments but we are too rapidly facing life saving versus life limiting choices with little to lose. Take care.
    Skippy's Mom

Thanks for sharing all your research Carole. Very interesting and im going to speak to our local vet tomorrow about this. As much as i want the holistic supplements to kick in and work, im worried there may not be time, if they are going to work at all. I feel im getting close to having to make a decision, she is getting harder to pill and isnt liking the water syringe. Its no way to live if she isnt going to get better. But thats the hard part, im just trying to buy time to find something that will shrink the tumor and make her better and give her some quality years. Its that fine line between quality of life and giving up too soon. This is where a crystal ball would come in handy.

Laurie

Maryland but currently staying in Indiana

Hi Laurie,
    Skippy had an MRI today and it confirmed a 11 cm macroturmor. Don't know next steps or if there are any. I will meet with Purdue folks next week at their convenience. Don't know what to do next, if anything.
    He is still eating and drinking; fattening frogs....
    Skippy's Mom

Im so sorry Carole! Please keep me posted on what you learn from Perdue. Charlotte is still hanging in there but so far i havent seen any changes from the new supplements she is taking. Im just hoping she holds on long enough to give them a chance to work. I know holistic treatments take awhile and im not sure how long she has. I havent yet talked to the vet about cabergoline.

Thinking of you and Skippy.

Laurie

Default Charlotte crossed over the bridge today...

We said goodbye to our sweet Charlotte today. My heart is broken. She fought so hard but this afternoon, after a fairly normal morning, she started running frantically through the house and I couldn't calm her down. I knew it was time. The tumor had taken over and although today I was there to give her some tramadol, which settled her down quickly, I couldn't let this happen while I was at work and she could hurt herself as well as being alone and scared. My client who is a vet came out to our house and it was very peaceful but it was so hard to say goodbye. In 3 short years she worked her way into our hearts and she will never be forgotten. Fly free baby girl, we love you!

Laurie