Page 9 of 46 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: My big boy Gable - sweet Gabe is now at peace

Default Re: My big boy Gable

At this point (diagnostic) it doesn't matter as far as the ACTH is concerned. HOWEVER if the vet is wanting to run other labs at the same time then fasting may be best but surely they would have said something if they wanted him fasted. Right?
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Joan, I’d withhold his food. That way you’ll know for certain that the lab can’t have any complaint about a fatty sample.

My knee jerk response is to say, “Good luck” on the test — but at this point, I’m not sure what you’ll be hoping for. Not that you’re wanting him to have Cushing’s, but maybe there’d be some peace in finally getting a diagnosis and being able to start in with effective treatment??

We’ll sure be anxious to hear the results!

Yes Marianne,

I just want to find out what's wrong. No, I don't want it to be Cushing's, but at least we'll know (I hope). Lee never panted like this. She'd do it when she was hot or nervous, but he does it the minute he gets up and moves. When he's sleeping, he's breathing so fast it sounds painful.

And if it is, well I'm a lot smarter than I was 2 1/2 years ago, thanks to all of you. So, we'll see. I will post the results as soon as I have them...
    Joan, mom to my Angel Lena, Angel Gable, Angel Phoenix, Angel Doree, Cooper, Sibble, and now Raina.

Okay, well Gable's ACTH results are in:

Cortisol Sample 1: 5.1 HIGH / ref range: 1.0 - 5.0
    Cortisol Sample 2: 23.8 HIGH / ref range: 8.0 - 17.0

Vet is thinking Pituitary vs. Adrenal. Completely forgot that Lena was Adrenal and kept saying how much worse that would be (never said that then). I told him we would start Vetoryl at 60mg, Gable is 76.4 pounds. Not doing anything until the weekend. I'll be home from this Friday through the whole next week until June 4. This way I can watch over him.

What are your thoughts?
    Last edited by Joan2517; 05-22-2018 at 10:09 AM. Reason: Gable's weight
    Joan, mom to my Angel Lena, Angel Gable, Angel Phoenix, Angel Doree, Cooper, Sibble, and now Raina.

Well, here we go! Deep breaths all around — we’ve got you and Gable totally covered, Joan. As we said earlier, I truly hope there’ll be some emotional as well as physical relief in finally arriving at a diagnosis. My Barkis panted almost nonstop prior to disgnosis, too. That was one of the hardest things for us to sit by and witness. Once he started the trilostane, that eased off pretty quickly, so I hope that will be the same for Gable, too. Back in those days, we were starting out with a whopping big dose, though. So by dosing more gradually, it may take awhile for Gable to start looking better. But we know that’s the safer way to go, and I think beginning at 60 mg. sounds perfect.

I also agree about the likelihood of the Cushing’s being pituitary in origin. Even though Gable didn’t edge over the “positive” line on the LDDS, his pattern of suppression was consistent with a pituitary vs. adrenal tumor. So I think you’re all set to go, and we’ll all be right here rooting for you. You’re a pro now, Joan. Gable is in very capable and such loving hands!

Marianne

I've been trying to breath all day. I just want to go home and cry...I'll probably start on the train. I'm relieved that we finally have the diagnosis so we can start treatment, but am so afraid of it all over again, Marianne. The expense, the watching, the freaking out at every little thing and the testing. I hope it goes better this time around and I hope we didn't wait to long, but I know he's gotten worse in the last year, so maybe it's not too long. He wasn't like this when Lena was alive, so it's only been 2 years and 3 months.

I guess we'll see...and I am so relieved to have you all with me from the beginning this time.
    Last edited by Joan2517; 05-22-2018 at 03:34 PM. Reason: comments

I sure do understand, Joan. I think it’d be strange if you *didn’t* feel this way. It’s got to dredge up a whole lot of memories that you’d much rather lay to rest. But there are a whole lot of things that are different this time around. Gable is much younger and so he is not facing the age-related vulnerabilities that confronted Lena. Also, the likelihood of it being pituitary means that the symptoms may be more responsive to the medication. Plus, now you know a whole lot more yourself.

None of that changes the worry and the dread, though. It seems so unfair that any of us should have to deal with all this more than once!

So you have every right to cry and scream and rant! You won’t chase us away, I promise. And we’re all gonna help you focus on making Gable feel better. I promise that, too!

I know, Marianne. He's my number two after Lee....my big, beautiful boy. He's so, so good. The fact that he doesn't pee in the house during the day is absolutely amazing, especially when Cooper does. How he holds that in all day astounds me.

Suspecting it and having it confirmed is still upsetting, but I guess it's better than not knowing and continuing to search. I'm sure everyone thinks I've been imagining it and just looking for this because I want to change what happened with Lena.

So, here we go again...

You're gonna be alright, Joan. (((((HUGS))))) We will be with you and Gabe all the way. Remember, this is not Lena and her story will not repeat. That is her story alone. Gabe will tell his own story and I pray it is one similar to my Squirt's - get that dose correct and all smooth sailing from then on! I know how hard it is not to let the past creep in but try to remember this is a brand new story!
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Thank you, Leslie...I am so lucky to have found all of you....I do have more ammunition this time around because of my friends here. I think my vet was a little surprised when I told him what dose we were going to put him on. Wait til he hears I want him to try the new testing that Dr. Ramsey is endorsing...I'll take a picture