Page 37 of 46 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 ... LastLast

Thread: My big boy Gable - sweet Gabe is now at peace

Default Re: My big boy Gable

Gable had a PVT done on Friday and it came back at 1.6

I had them do blood work too. Here are the HIGHS:

ALK 311 ref range: 5-131
    PSL 262 ref range: 24-140
    Platelet count 635 ref range: 170 -400

What do you think? He's still drinking a lot, panting a lot, but no accidents, still eating and pooping fine. I think he's laying down a lot more, though, but will still get up and roughhouse with Cooper.
    Joan, mom to my Angel Lena, Angel Gable, Angel Phoenix, Angel Doree, Cooper, Sibble, and now Raina.

It always concerns me when a dog's pre cortisol level is less than 2.0 ug/dl so I'm a bit worried that Gable's is 1.6 ug/dl. I'd recommend getting a full ACTH stim test done just to make sure that his post value is good. It's good to hear that his eating and pooping are fine!

Hugs, Lori

Yeah, I wish Gable’s pre-pill level was a bit higher, too. Per Dechra’s pre-pill monitoring guidelines, you can dip down to 1.45. But given Gable’s history of the surprising crash, I think I’d rather he’d be running a higher pre-pill level, too. Remind us as to his current dosing? As Lori says, a full ACTH would be optimal. But in lieu of that, since he’s basically doing OK, one option might be to just cut back on his dose a little bit again. Golly, what a rollercoaster you guys have been on. I know you don’t want his drinking/peeing to increase even more, but perhaps a small dosage decrease wouldn’t result in too bad a symptom rebound.

As far as the other lab results, that seems great that the ALK is no more highly elevated than it is. As you already know, platelets are also commonly elevated in Cushpups. As far as the PSL, I think that’s a pancreatic enzyme marker? Has that been elevated in the past for Gable? I really don’t know whether that amount of elevation is a concern. What does your vet say about that?

Vet said everything is perfect...you know I don't really trust that they know what they're doing. He's been chomping on the dried leaves outside, that could be irritating. I just don't know...

We're coming up on Lena's 4 year anniversary of her diagnosis next week and I'm getting paranoid. Sometimes when he looks at me I feel like he's trying to tell me something.

Gable is on 5mg am and 5mg pm
    Joan, mom to my Angel Lena, Angel Gable, Angel Phoenix, Angel Doree, Cooper, Sibble, and now Raina.

According to Dechra’s pre-pill chart, Gable is OK, but just by a hair. Their cut-off is actually 1.5 rather than 1.45 as I said earlier.

https://www.k9cushings.com/forum/att...5&d=1521562345

So if it was me, I’d really feel more comfortable with it running a little bit higher. I know you’d never expect to hear me make an “alternative day” suggestion, but maybe try giving him the additional 5 mg. only every other night for a few days, to see what happens?? I dunno...just a thought.

I totally get it about feeling paranoid about things :-(. In a few months, Luna will have outlived Peg as well as Barkis. I’ve never had anybody make it to 12, so I’m watching her like a hawk now, fearing that a rotten shoe will drop...!

I'll try that and see.

Yep, I feel the same. Gable is going to be 11 this year. Doree, our teacup chihuahua is 15 or 16 with knees that pop in and out and a grade 3 heart murmur, she's already older than Lena was when she died. Andee, who we had when we got Lena and was with us when Gable came to us, died when she was 13, and other than allergies and arthritis, she had no health issues. I just know we're going to lose someone this coming year and I am dreading it.

We did an ACTH test on Saturday. His results are still kind of low. I have only been giving him 5mg in the morning, nothing at night.

Pre was 1.0 ref range 1.0 - 1.5
    Post was 1.1 ref range 8.0 - 17.0

Vet wants to keep him at the 5mg and check in 3 - 4 weeks...he's still drinking a lot, panting a lot, but other than that, appetite is good and he's still playing with Cooper and toys. I don't know what else to do....

Dang, Joan, those numbers are definitely lower than we’d hoped. I’m afraid I’m out of ideas, too, for the moment. Thank goodness you didn’t take me up on my suggestion to increase his dose! Given those numbers, I agree that he should be checked again very soon. What a roller coaster for you two :-(.

I know, Marianne. I started to do what you said and then I thought "nah". I almost raised it because of how much he's drinking, but decided to wait. I think I'll wait another week or two, then maybe have it compounded down...I just don't know what to do to make him feel better. His neck is getting thicker and thicker, he looks like a hyena. He hates when I'm getting ready for work and just sticks to me like glue, then I get home and I know he's glad I'm here to take care of him.

It's coming up on Lee's anniversary, and I'm so afraid that he's going to go...I feel like I have to be home, and I can't be because of work...ugh!

Gosh Joan, so sorry to read that Gable hasn't stabilized, one thought I have is that he may be hyperthyrodic again. What dose of thyroid medication is he getting and have his levels been checked recently?

Sending hugs, Lori