Page 24 of 46 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Thread: My big boy Gable - sweet Gabe is now at peace

Default Re: My big boy Gable

He was at 3.3 then. It's the same lab. And I get the Vetoryl from the vet all the time. The vet said to keep him off for 2 weeks and test again. Do i have to do the ACTH test? or can i do the resting Cortisol? If he's drinking so much now won't it get worse if I stop the meds? If he starts peeing in the house it will be a disaster.

How could it drop so low and he's still showing symptoms? He's on the thyroid meds, I wonder if it could be that? I'm feeling the panic set back in...
    Last edited by Joan2517; 01-28-2019 at 12:13 PM. Reason: forgot something
    Joan, mom to my Angel Lena, Angel Gable, Angel Phoenix, Angel Doree, Cooper, Sibble, and now Raina.

Remind us as to his treatment history with the thyroid meds. If his thyroid level is now too high, I guess that could account for excessive thirst & panting even in the midst of a low cortisol reading. But it would not account for the low cortisol, itself. And paradoxically, excessive thirst can be associated with too-low cortisol as well as too-high cortisol. So you may actually see some improvement as opposed to a worsening of those problems.

Were his blood chemistries tested alongside this ACTH?

I know it’s hard, but try not to panic. The good news is that, aside from the few vomiting episodes, he doesn’t appear to be unduly ill. I think we’ll just have to take it day-by-day and see what develops.

From some other reports coming in to us, it seems as though the new baseline cortisol monitoring system may not be working out as ideally as we might have hoped. Even though Gable’s baseline pre-pill values were looking good, maybe a significant post-pill cortisol drop was being overlooked. Right now, it looks as though that may have been the case. So let’s see how he does after a few days off the Vetoryl, and keep reassessing.

No other blood work was done with this test. His thyroid was checked a few months ago, i think. Had to be for renewing the pills.

I know, I read Glynda's post a couple of weeks ago. I hate that my vet, the one I don't like to use, might have been right about the pre-pill testing. When I showed the new protocol to him he made a face and tossed it on the desk. And this morning when he told me the results and i asked for the results to be faxed to me, I could almost hear his eyes rolling over the phone...

Okay, I'll just keep watching him...
    Joan, mom to my Angel Lena, Angel Gable, Angel Phoenix, Angel Doree, Cooper, Sibble, and now Raina.

Did they put him on prednisone?

Before the Vetoryl can be restarted it is advised that a full ACTH stimulation test be done with a post higher than 9.1 ug/dl and a rebound of Cushing's symptoms

He never mentioned prednisone. He seems fine, though Lori.

I'm at work in the city and I'm freaking out. It's a good thing I didn't keep giving him the extra 10 a couple of weeks ago and it's a good thing I took him on Saturday, even though I had just spent $640 there on Doree on Thursday.

Would two weeks be enough time before having him retested?

2 weeks should be good but how he is acting would be more of a guide. If his increased drinking doesn't slow down within a day or two that would make me think that the cortisol isn't rebounding and/or that the electrolytes are unbalanced so, if this were me, if his increased drinking doesn't improve in a day or two I'd have both the ACTH and electrolytes tests done.

Okay, thanks Lori.

For sure, I’d have a chemistry panel done in a couple of days if you don’t see improvement or if he worsens. In addition to the electrolytes, it would be good to also check his thyroid level.

I think I'm going to cry. Here I thought we were doing good and I could've killed him.

Aww Joan, try not to feel so bad — Gable doesn’t sound as though he’s anywhere near death’s doorstep right now. You’ve been watching him like a hawk, and if there are imbalances going on, they can be remedied. Given your report of his current behavior, I wouldn’t be starting him on prednisone yet, either. Let’s see how he does over the next couple of days. He may not need any supplementation of any sort. But if he does, it is easily administered.