Page 22 of 46 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: My big boy Gable - sweet Gabe is now at peace

Default Re: My big boy Gable

He seems fine, except he threw up during the night. He has done it a couple of times in the past week, but I think he's eating the dried leaves outside and that usually makes him barf. It looks like pea soup...yuck! His appetite has slowed up a little, he drinks a lot, but not as often, and he's been playing and running around a lot more. He's down to about 65lbs. He even came up on the couch with all of us the other day and he hasn't done that in at least a year, maybe more. His panting has slowed, too.

He doesn't feel good this morning, so i'm not going to give him any meds. We're up and he's not looking to eat so I know his stomach must be bothering him.

I think I'll keep going with the 40mgs for now.
    Joan, mom to my Angel Lena, Angel Gable, Angel Phoenix, Angel Doree, Cooper, Sibble, and now Raina.

Since it's seems he is doing well and that his symptoms are pretty much controlled I believe keeping his dose at 40 mg is the best choice. You could give him pepcid ac 20-30 minutes before his Vetoryl dose and see if that helps with his tummy.

You're doing a great job, Joan!!

Thanks, Lori...I have to say his vet was really pleased.
    Joan, mom to my Angel Lena, Angel Gable, Angel Phoenix, Angel Doree, Cooper, Sibble, and now Raina.

So glad that Gable is doing so well! You're a good mom and he is so lucky to have you on his team!
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Quote Originally Posted by Harley PoMMom View Post
    Since it's seems he is doing well and that his symptoms are pretty much controlled I believe keeping his dose at 40 mg is the best choice. You could give him pepcid ac 20-30 minutes before his Vetoryl dose and see if that helps with his tummy.

You're doing a great job, Joan!!
    I totally agree!!

Thanks, girls! He seems okay, hasn't thrown up since the other night. I'll start him back on the meds tonight with his 10mg dose.

He has started drinking more again, and the panting has returned. If I was to raise the Vetoryl, how much do you think? He's getting 30mg in the morning and 10mg at night. I might wait until the weekend before Xmas since I'll be home for 5 days and can keep an eye on him.

He still looks amazing though and has even started getting up on the couch and laying next to me again. He hasn't done that in years!

Is it possible that the heat being on the house is making him drink and pant more and not the cortisol on the rise? Just wool gathering....
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Another idea would be to have his urine cultured to see if an UTI might be brewing.

I agree about getting a culture, just to make sure that’s not the problem. If the urine is OK, I’d probably recommend adding in another 10 mg. at night, but I hate it that this combo of capsules is gonna get pretty expensive for you. It might be worth it for a month, though, to see what happens. Who knows, maybe he’ll ultimately work up to 30 mg. both morning and evening. Or, of course you could always consider a compounded product for part or all of his daily dosing.