Page 2 of 46 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: My big boy Gable - sweet Gabe is now at peace

Default Re: My big boy Gable

Thanks, Kat...I will have his thyroid levels checked again in a few months just to see if anything has changed. That's what my vet recommended. He seems better the last week or so. It's getting colder and he seems more comfortable, not panting so much. He loves the cold weather, especially when we get snow!
    Joan, mom to my Angel Lena, Angel Gable, Angel Phoenix, Angel Doree, Cooper, Sibble, and now Raina.

I haven't posted in a while about my Gabe...I know I have expressed concern because of the amount of water he drinks and his panting, but I kept thinking that as long as he doesn't pee in the house, we're good.

This morning I let him out around 7:00am like I always do, but I didn't let him out before I left for work because my husband was home and I figured if he saw the back door was unlocked, that he would let them out before he left.

I came home from work a little late, and the first thing I noticed was that Cooper had pooped in the front room, which is not unusual if our neighbors have company or God forbid! there is something going on around the neighborhood!

Then as I went to let them out the back door I noticed pee on the floor and started to yell...until I saw how much there was and knew right away, it had to be Gable. He is always so upset when Cooper does it, so I knew he was devastated that it was him and I shut right up. It was like a river...the poor guy must've been in so much distress! It took me an hour to clean it all up and then another half an hour to get him to come in the house, no matter how many times I told him I wasn't mad at him.

I am petrified that he might have Cushing's...I just can't go through it again. I love my Gabe...next to Lena, he knows me so well. It will kill me if he has it...

I'm going to make an appointment and have his blood tested, again, to see if anything shows...maybe it is just hypothyroid or diabetes, or just that he wasn't let out before we left.

He's been glued to my side all night...he knows I'm worried, and I am...I can't stop crying, I keep thinking of my precious baby, Lee, and what we went through...

I can't do it again...
    Joan, mom to my Angel Lena, Angel Gable, Angel Phoenix, Angel Doree, Cooper, Sibble, and now Raina.

You are not alone. That's one of my biggest fears. I worry about that too. The thought of possibly having to do it again terrifies me. It's been almost fours years since Buddy flew. I still miss him every day. I think we all go through some PTSD after losing one so precious and linked to our hearts.

Hugs,
    Kathy
    Kathy and Angel Buddy. The mightiest of all lizard hunters!

It is PTSD, Kathy....and it scares the shit out of me! I keep thinking of Lena.

My Gabe is such a sweet boy. I only kept him after my son couldn't handle him after he rescued him from North Shore Animal League in Port Washington. He was such a challenge, but we got through it, and he turned out to be such a good boy. I love this guy! He was so good with Lee, and is so good with Sibbie, who can be a real pain in the ass...he is my big, beautiful boy.

I don't know what I will do if it is Cushing's. I am so afraid....

Let's take this one step at a time. We are all afraid when we feel there is something off with our pups. All you know for now is that Gable had an accident in the house. That can be caused by many things, including missing a trip outside. As easy as it is for our minds to instantly go to Cushings, try to focus on what you know for now and breathe - Long, slow breaths. You are taking him in for bloodwork as a precaution, so please try not to panic.

Kathy

Quote Originally Posted by Joan2517 View Post
    I don't know what I will do if it is Cushing's. I am so afraid....
    Last edited by Budsters Mom; 03-30-2017 at 01:29 AM.
    Kathy and Angel Buddy. The mightiest of all lizard hunters!

Did your hubby miss taking Gabe out? Maybe it isn't anything worrying, as Kathy said. Don't panic yet.
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)

He said he left right behind me, so he didn't think he had to let them all out. I usually do it one more time before I leave, but I was late and scrambling.

But he drinks sooo much water, Sharlene. I have two big bowls down, they are about two quarts each. He has his favorite one, I don't know why as they are exactly the same, and I fill his up at least 3 times every day.

He's losing his hair on his rump again...maybe I'll start with the Melatonin, that seemed to work last year with the hair loss.

I'm staying home today and will see if I can get him an appointment at the vet.

Breathe, Joan, breathe. You're doing the right thing by taking him in, that way you'll know if there is anything that needs to be addressed - and what to do about it. Let us know what you find out and we'll be here every step of the way.
    Mama to Jackson and Kira, and my darling Cushing's angel, Visuddha

Well, I can't get an appointment with my favorite vet until Saturday morning...the other one will just try to make money off of me, by wanting to do tests he may not need.

I've filled his water bowl twice already and it's only 10:30.

Take it easy, sweetie. You are doing the right thing and that is all any of us can do under any circumstance. You are getting him to the vet plus reaching out here and letting us help you and Gable to boot - always the sure sign of a great mom. Regardless of what you learn, you WILL be able to handle it because you are not alone. Odds are, he simply didn't get the chance to go out this morning so he had a bladder full and just had to go!

btw....I think a GREAT many of us here have PTSD when it comes to our babies after losing one with Cushing's even if the loss wasn't related to this disease. Every time one of mine get a hair that goes wonky I panic! Did I ever tell you about the time I "diagnosed" Squirt with breast cancer? I felt knots where her breasts were one nite about 10PM and by 8AM I was a basket case just SURE she had breast cancer on top of Cushing's. I got her into the vet that morning and he examined her very well while I stood there and sobbed hysterically. Then he looked across the exam table at me and said, "Those are her boobies, you boob!" She had lost weight and I could feel them for the first time in YEARS!

So just breath and let us know what you learn....and never forget we are right by your side.
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.