Page 17 of 46 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: My big boy Gable - sweet Gabe is now at peace

Default Re: My big boy Gable

How's Gabe and Doree doing?

Gabe seems absolutely fine. He's doing a lot of scratching and licking. It's got to be allergies. He was always allergic and I'm guessing since the cortisol is lower that they are acting up more than usual. I have to get some benadryl for him.

One thing we are noticing is that we can see his hip bones. I don't think we ever saw them before! I'm hoping it's a good thing. He's lost a few pounds, but he's been overweight for the last couple of years. He's eating, drinking and playing, so I'm happy. I sent Newsday a picture of him sleeping on one of the chairs on the deck and they emailed me yesterday that they are considering it for the Explore LI pet section. He does look beautiful! They had Sibbie in it a few weeks ago, so I hope that won't disqualify this picture. This will be my 5th or 6th picture/blurb in the paper. The first one was of Lena in the stroller with Josh when Josh was about 2 years old.

Doree is still a little confused, but the bump on her lip is going down and her ears are better. We have a cardiologist coming from the Animal Medical Center for a consult on the 9th at our vet's office. It's about $625 and he spends hours checking her out and going over everything, so we'll see.

Thanks for asking, Lori!
    Joan, mom to my Angel Lena, Angel Gable, Angel Phoenix, Angel Doree, Cooper, Sibble, and now Raina.

Yes, higher corisol levels act as a bandaid of sorts for all kinds of conditions. It reduces inflammation which helps with arthritis and allergies. Buddy's allergies went haywire once I started treating his Cushings and his cortisol level normalized. Sometimes pet parents choose not to treat Cushings in very senior arthritic dogs because Higher Cortisol levels help to control inflammation and pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Joan2517 View Post
    It's got to be allergies. He was always allergic and I'm guessing since the cortisol is lower that they are acting up more than usual. I have to get some benadryl for him!
    Kathy and Angel Buddy. The mightiest of all lizard hunters!

He's only 9, Kathy, so I think I should try. I hope the benadryl will help. We'll see...
    Last edited by Joan2517; 07-25-2018 at 08:47 PM. Reason: wrong age! he's 9, not 10...
    Joan, mom to my Angel Lena, Angel Gable, Angel Phoenix, Angel Doree, Cooper, Sibble, and now Raina.

Wow, Joan, that is so neat that your furbaby's pictures are published in the paper!!! And glad to hear that Gabe is doing well but sorry about those allergies. Marvin used to scratch himself so much that he was breaking the hair off in that itchy area and than we finally figured out it was chicken he was allergic to, I think he also had environmental allergies, the benedryl did help Marvin a little.

Let us know how Doree makes out with the cardiologist and wishing yous the best of luck.

Gable continues to do well. His belly is starting to disappear and he looks better than he has in years (except he's getting whiter). He's sitting on furniture again, playing more and sleeping better at night. I'm thinking that the licking isn't so much allergies, but might be that he's able to clean himself again; he can reach all those places now that a lot of the weight is off.

I keep watching for signs, but he's doing good. My son was here on Saturday and hasn't seen him in about a month, and noticed right away that he wasn't as heavy and looks much better.

This is such great news, Joan! I’m so happy for you guys :-))).

And yeah, I can sympathize about the whiteness....my “baby” Luna is almost ten now, and her dad and I are both noticing that even though she’s a yellow Lab, her face is looking whiter :-(((. Where does the time go.......????

That is wonderful news about Gabe!!! YAAA!!!!

Yes, for arthritis support. My dog has been off trilostane for two weeks now. He is back to being able to go down the stairs himself. He stopped being able to about a month after he started the med.

If it turn out he really has Cushing's, I will be giving careful consideration as to whether I put him back on trilostane. And if I do, I think I will opt for a lower dose or twice daily doses because he has had GI upset from the med. (Back story: he was just diagnosed with hyperparathyroidism which may replace the Cushing diagnosis but won't know till that condition is treated).

Well, Gable has fleas. That's what all the licking is about. Gave him and Cooper NexGuard, hopefully I caught it early enough. Just finished vacuuming everything, and washing all the furniture covers.