Page 39 of 46 FirstFirst ... 293738394041 ... LastLast

Thread: My big boy Gable - sweet Gabe is now at peace

Default Re: My big boy Gable

Took Gable in yesterday for a PVT and blood chem.

3.0 on the cortisol test ref range 1.0 - 5.0

ALK: 616 ref range 29 - 291
    Triglycerides: 959 ref range 29 - 291 (he hadn't eaten before we went)
    Precision PSL: 273 ref range 24 - 140

He's got an ear infection in both ears, they cleaned them out and put some stuff in that lasts two weeks. He's on Apaquel for his allergies and except for the panting, he's doing good. It is so hot and muggy here that I won't let him stay out longer than to do what he needs to do.

What do you think?
    Joan, mom to my Angel Lena, Angel Gable, Angel Phoenix, Angel Doree, Cooper, Sibble, and now Raina.

...he's doing good.
    You know Joan, at this stage with Gabie, I think that’s the most important part of your whole report. Was that a pre-pill cortisol reading? If so, then I especially think that’s just fine. And we know Cushpups have elevated ALK and triglycerides. If he was acting ill, I’d be more concerned about the Precision PSL. But all in all, if he’s generally good, then I believe I’d take that as a blessing and let him relax ;-). (And you, too!)

Thanks, Marianne! He's had some soft poop days, but I think it's because we're home all the time and he's getting a lot more table food that he probably shouldn't. The limping has stopped and he's laying around a lot more, but I think that's just the heat.

And yes, it was a pre-pill test.
    Joan, mom to my Angel Lena, Angel Gable, Angel Phoenix, Angel Doree, Cooper, Sibble, and now Raina.

My concern is that the test was performed while he had ear infections which could raise his cortisol levels so that result of 3 could possibly be higher than what it actually is.

I didn't think of that, Lori....I guess if I can afford it, I'll do another test in a couple of weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by labblab View Post
    You know Joan, at this stage with Gabie, I think that’s the most important part of your whole report. Was that a pre-pill cortisol reading? If so, then I especially think that’s just fine. And we know Cushpups have elevated ALK and triglycerides. If he was acting ill, I’d be more concerned about the Precision PSL. But all in all, if he’s generally good, then I believe I’d take that as a blessing and let him relax ;-). (And you, too!)
    Marianne, what might the Precision PSL indicate?

Joan, that’s a marker for pancreatitis. I believe Gable’s result is high enough that pancreatitis would definitely be suspected in a dog who exhibits consistent symptoms. But if Gable seems well, I don’t know how much stock to put in that test result.

He's pooping soft again. I'm wondering if that's what's doing it...

I suppose it’s possible, although if he otherwise seems fine, the soft poops could be from something else. In her old age, Luna’s poops are often much softer now, seemingly regardless of what food she eats. When she was younger, her poops were always perfect, also regardless of what she ate. So who knows...?

In terms of pancreatitis, though, the chief treatment seems to be dietary. For cases of acute pancreatitis, frequent small meals of very bland, low-fat food are recommended. For a dog with chronic issues, I think lower fat remains a chief recommendation. Here’s a link to a very informative article by Mary Strauss. It covers the gamut from acute pancreatitis requiring hospitalization to longterm chronic maintenance. Thankfully it doesn’t sound as though Gable is acutely ill at all, but you may still see some tips regarding nutrition or supplements if you and your vet think that his pancreas may be involved to any extent.

http://dogaware.com/articles/wdjpancreatitis.html

Thanks, Marianne...I was thinking last night that since the pandemic I have started buying the larger bag of the Hills w/d instead of the 17lb bag. I think I noticed a different scent from the large bag, but didn't really let it bother me. I might try buying the 17lb bag again to see if that's what's doing it. I don't know why it would be different, but it's worth a try, although I did just open up the big bag I bought over the weekend...ugh!