Page 38 of 46 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast

Thread: My big boy Gable - sweet Gabe is now at peace

Default Re: My big boy Gable

Maybe, the last time it was checked it was okay, but that was a while ago. I forgot to have them test it the last time he had the blood work done. I'll try to have it done tomorrow after work.
    Joan, mom to my Angel Lena, Angel Gable, Angel Phoenix, Angel Doree, Cooper, Sibble, and now Raina.

Well, I don't think this is what is going on, it's only slightly lower than it should be:

Post T-4: 2.3 Ref range: 2.5 - 2.6
    Joan, mom to my Angel Lena, Angel Gable, Angel Phoenix, Angel Doree, Cooper, Sibble, and now Raina.

I took him to the vet last Friday, His neck just seemed to be so much thicker, so I wanted them to check that lump. Did a needle aspiration that came back fine. Had them do a urinalysis, which came back fine. As long as I was spending money, we did more blood work. The only things in the blood work were ALK at 523, ref range was 5 - 131 and Triglycerides at 982, ref range 29 - 291. He had breakfast that morning before I decided to take him. The Precision PSL was 150, ref range 24 - 140. but he's eating fine and isn't showing any signs of stomachaches. Vet said he's overweight, he's at 74.7 right now, but he's been much bigger than this.

He's still drinking a lot, but I just bought him an orthopedic bed with a cooling feature and he loves it. He gets anxious when I'm getting ready for work, lays on the bathroom floor while I'm showering, very clingy. I think he just feels better when I'm home knowing that he doesn't have to hold in his pee. Some nights he goes about 4 - 5 hours without needing to go out, then others it could be every 2 - 3 hours. But he's still playing with Cooper and lately he's been bringing toys to me to play tug-of-war...so I don't know.

All in all good news for $565....

I agree, especially the part about playing with Cooper and you :-))))))

Thanks for the update, Joan, and give Gable a big pat for me, OK?

Sending hugs to you both

Thank you, girls! I'll just keep watching.

I had an ACTH test done last Thursday on Gable. The results are:

Sample 1: 2.0 ref range 1.0 - 5.0
    Sample 2: 3.0 ref range 8.0 - 17.0 (LOW)

What do you think? Even though he still drinks a lot, I'm still working from home so not too worried about that. He's able to go from around 10 or 11 at night until 6 or 6:30 in the morning without needing to go out; still eating good; likes the fact that I'm home so he can stay outside all day if he wants; and is still rough-housing with Cooper.

He's laying down a lot more, not standing or even sitting for long periods. I noticed last week that he's limping slightly, not a full limp, but seems to be favoring his right side. I thought it was his nails so had them clip them when he was there for the test and they didn't notice the limp. He's still doing it and I can't really tell if it's his front or rear leg. I might even be wrong about which side it is. He never complains...When vet called with results this morning, I let him know and we're going to put him on an anti-inflammatory for a week and see if it helps. I think he said Rimadyl.

The vet's office will come out to the car and take him in, but I don't want them examining him without me there so I'm not going to pursue it just yet. He could've pulled something playing with Cooper, or trotting around the backyard.

Those are pretty good numbers, although I wouldn't want that post number to go down any further. I'm sorry that Gable has a limp but Rimadyl isn't one drug that I'd recommend because of its potential to cause liver damage, Meloxicam, I believe, is a better option.

Hugs, Lori

Yep, I think those ACTH numbers are pretty darn good, too. I think they’re up a little bit from last time when we were worried about them trending down too low, so that’s reassuring. If they stay where they are, I think that’ll be great. I also agree with Lori that if Gable ends up needing a painkiller for a longer time period, I’d prefer one of the newer NSAIDS such as Meloxicam or Previcox. I think Rimadyl does provide effective, quick relief, and my vet still uses it for shorter-term acute situations such as right after surgery. One week of it would probably be OK. But for chronic pain issues, I think Rimadyl does suffer from a higher risk of serious side effects than some of the newer options. So if Gable needs to stay on something, I’d request a different med.

I’ll bet the best medicine of all will be having you home again, though ;-).

Great! Thanks, girls! Yes, he does love having me home.