Page 36 of 46 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 ... LastLast

Thread: My big boy Gable - sweet Gabe is now at peace

Default Re: My big boy Gable

You are so right, Leslie! And I am an old b____, too! But he doesn't need me to do anything for him. He lives alone and can get up and go wherever he wants, whenever he wants. Someday I will let him know how disappointed I am about this, but it's too soon and it won't really matter.

My babies are all well and happy that I'm home and I guess that's not a bad thing after all! Gable seems good. I think I'll have him tested again next week. He's been on the 10mg in the morning and 5mg at night for almost two weeks and I am curious to see where his levels at.
    Joan, mom to my Angel Lena, Angel Gable, Angel Phoenix, Angel Doree, Cooper, Sibble, and now Raina.

Okay, we have had another episode. Gable was up all night Monday, going out like every hour, drinking like crazy all weekend. I shouldn't have given him his pill yesterday morning, but I was so sleep deprived that I wasn't thinking, and I should have stayed home.

I came home from work to a kitchen floor covered in poop, vomit and pee. Cleaned it up in a hurry and ran to the vet before they closed. I had them do a resting cortisol test and blood work. The results won't be back until this afternoon, but I'm pretty sure he's gone too low again. I didn't give him anything last night, including dinner.

He slept all night, didn't get up until 6am this morning...that doesn't happen very often. He usually has to go out at least once during the night. He's had breakfast, no meds and seems fine. I'll wait to see what the numbers are and decide what the plan will be. I just might have to give him 5mg am and 5mg pm. It seems the 10mg am and 5mg pm just might be too much for him.
    Joan, mom to my Angel Lena, Angel Gable, Angel Phoenix, Angel Doree, Cooper, Sibble, and now Raina.

Oh Joan, I'm so sorry to hear this, poor Gable and poor you...sending hugs

Help! I don't know what to do. His stomach issue is better, but he is drinking like crazy. He peed in the house and then stepped in it and walked all over the house. With that resting cortisol number, should I start the vetoryl again?

He was on 10 am and 5 pm

Hey Joan, what was the resting cortisol result? Also, how many hours after dosing would the blood sample have been drawn?

It was 2.8 and he had his 10mg pill in the morning, probably around 5:30 or 6:00, Marianne, and we did the test around 6:00 or 6:30. I had to clean up the mess before I took him.

I am shaking, I'm so upset. He's walking around behind me with his head down. I keep telling him I'm not mad at him, but I don't know what to do. I gave him 5mg with dinner tonight just in case he needs it.

Oh Joan, I feel so bad for you guys!! Yeah, I think I’d try the 5 mg. twice daily for a while again, too. I just hate it that you’re on such a rollercoaster. Poor Gabie, and poor you! Fingers crossed that things go OK overnight, and tomorrow, too.

It's killing me, Marianne. I'm getting all kinds of flashbacks to Lena.

He's such a good boy, he doesn't deserve this. He keeps looking at me like he's wondering why I can't make him feel better. If I could quit my job and stay home to take care of him I would. He starts getting anxious in the morning when I'm getting ready for work; he lays down on the bathroom floor while I'm showering and dressing, and then stands at the door while I'm leaving.

AND, AND my husband just got home and told me that he thought he left him out this morning when he left for work and sent Jess over to check around 2 or 3...2 or 3!!! when he left around 10!! and told her not to make any noise coming through the greenhouse. I'm sure Gable heard her and then got up thinking he was going out. That's what happened...I could kill him right now! I spent an hour cleaning up all the pee after I had taken two trains home from the city.

I didn't get my vacation, I can't depend on anyone and I'm working in the f@#&ing city and can't get home to the ones who love me the most!

I'm venting again...

You have every right and reason to vent, and that’s exactly what we’re here for!

As annoying as it is, at least maybe you have an explanation for yesterday’s episode. Although with that much pee, your central issue remains as to why Gable is still drinking/peeing so excessively. And for that, I just don’t have an answer. It’s so darn confusing. Maybe the GI upset wasn’t related to the Vetoryl at all, and he’d really do better staying on the higher dose. But maybe it was, and for that reason you want to stay on the lower dose. I just dunno, and I surely understand why you want to throw your hands in the air at this point. All we can do is take one day at a time, and for now, I agree with you about going with the 5 mg. twice daily again for the time being.

I can so resonate with your flashbacks of worry, though, and I so wish I could reach out to give you a big hug. Our dear Leslie often refers to “twitching” — the second sense we caregivers have that remains on high alert for signs that things are going wrong. And the more traumatic an earlier loss, the harder it is to escape the worry. I haven’t shed the worrying myself, so I’m afraid I can’t give you any advice in that regard :-((. But I surely do understand, and I’m right here alongside you. At least this is Friday, so you’ll have a couple of days at home to spend with the whole crew, and especially to monitor Gable. My fingers surely remain crossed that things will settle down for you guys!

Thanks, Marianne...I'll keep giving him the 5mg twice a day and see it helps. If not, I'll go back to the 10am and 5pm. I think I have wiggle room with that 2.8 resting cortisol result.

He needed to go out at 2am, but then stayed asleep until we got up at 5:45.