Page 8 of 46 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: My big boy Gable - sweet Gabe is now at peace

Default Re: My big boy Gable

Quote Originally Posted by Harley PoMMom View Post
    Not orange is good! Has he been eating this food for a while? And if so, I wonder if they changed the ingredients in that food, as these manufactures can do that with dog food without notifying the public.
    Funny you should say that. I told my vet Saturday what brand i feed them and he said a dog with a sensitive stomach would get soft stool from the Wellness, which he wouldn't recommend anyway, that I've been feeding them for years. Vet told me to get Science Diet w/d and the urge to go seems to have stopped, he doesn't seem as agitated and is sleeping better. But of course the others want it too and I've tried to keep them from eating it, but they still managed to get some and now the little girls are pooping out rocks!
    Joan, mom to my Angel Lena, Angel Gable, Angel Phoenix, Angel Doree, Cooper, Sibble, and now Raina.

So glad that the new food is working for him, how are his stools?

So much better the past few days. This morning I wasn't paying attention and I had put the other food down for the rest of them before I put the new food down for him and he was busy eating it. Soft poop was back...so it is the food. Picking up normal poop really is so much better!
    Joan, mom to my Angel Lena, Angel Gable, Angel Phoenix, Angel Doree, Cooper, Sibble, and now Raina.

It's so nice to finally have a solid clue for what is going on, huh? I hope the new food continues to work well for your sweet boy!
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Thank you all for your advice and thoughts. Next step will be the ACTH as soon as I can afford it, financially and emotionally!

Excellent detective work to find out what the cause of the soft stools was. If only there was something that they could All eat, so you didn't have to buy two brand and try to keep Gabe out of the girls food. Nothing is ever easy eh.
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)

Quote Originally Posted by molly muffin View Post
    Excellent detective work to find out what the cause of the soft stools was. If only there was something that they could All eat, so you didn't have to buy two brand and try to keep Gabe out of the girls food. Nothing is ever easy eh.
    I know, Sharlene! I have to stand guard while he eats it! I let the others have a piece of two so they don't feel left out. The Wellness has been fine for the rest of them and I'm a little leery of changing their's. Every time I have tried something new, Doree gets diarrhea. She's the oldest (14 or 15) and I always go back to the Wellness. Maybe I'll try one of the other Science Diets to see if she can tolerate that.

He's still drinking like crazy, but hasn't let loose in the house while I'm at work...I don't know how he does it! The panting is still worrisome. I can't believe how much he's aged in the two years since Lena's been gone. Cooper is the same age, and you'd never know it.

It's very hard having dogs on different feed for dietary/medical reasons. You can't ever leave food down and have to feed separately, which is hard for working parents. I have had the same challenge when caring for friend's dogs. I can't imagine having to do it all the time. Having said that, I would probably continue to feed seoarately, particularly if I had a senior dog or one with allergies. I don't think I would mess with trying to find something they all could eat. I would probably just continue with whatever is working at the time. I'm not one to rock the boat. Just my thoughts.....
    Kathy and Angel Buddy. The mightiest of all lizard hunters!

Quote Originally Posted by Budster's Mom View Post
    It's very hard having dogs on different feed for dietary/medical reasons. You can't ever leave food down and have to feed separately, which is hard for working parents. I have had the same challenge when caring for friend's dogs. I can't imagine having to do it all the time. Having said that, I would probably continue to feed seoarately, particularly if I had a senior dog or one with allergies. I don't think I would mess with trying to find something they all could eat. I would probably just continue with whatever is working at the time. I'm not one to rock the boat. Just my thoughts.....
    That's probably what I will do, Kathy. I hate to waste money on a bag of food only to find out one of the other three can't eat it! So far this is working as long as I stand and watch. I let Sibbie have one or two pieces of Gable's just to make her happy.

Okay, so tomorrow I am taking Gable to have the ACTH test done at 10:15. He's drinking more, and panting so much we're afraid he's going to have a heart attack. Since he's not on any meds for Cushings, does he have breakfast in the morning or not? Thanks!