Thread: Barking

Default Barking

Hello. I am new to the forum. My 12 year old Spring Spaniel has been in treatment for Cushings for almost 2 years. She has a number of ongoing issues which we manage but she has recently been barking....alot. The barking is usually for treats, or to go out but is sometimes radom. This symptom is driving us crazy. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Barking

MODERATOR NOTE: Your post has been manually approved so that members can start responding to you. Please check your email, possibly your spam / junk folder, for a message from k9cushings. You will need to reply to that email so that your post go directly to the board and are not delayed waiting for approval. If you have already received and responded to the confirmatory email, please be patient. Your registration will be finalized shortly. Thanks and welcome!
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Hi and welcome to you and your girl!

Sometimes the barking can be due to anxiety especially if their cortisol is elevated, when was her last ACTH stimulation test and could you post those results?

I have a couple questions if you wouldn't mind sharing some information about your girl with us. Your answers will give a better picture of what may be going on so then our feedback can be relevant to your girl's situation...ok?

What medication for Cushing's is she taking and what is her dose? Does she have other health problems, and if so, what medications is she taking for them? Was she diagnosed with the pituitary or adrenal form of Cushing's? What were the symptoms she was displaying that led you or the vet to test for Cushing's in the first place? And how are her symptoms now? Has a chemistry/CBC blood panel been done recently, and if so, could you post those values that are marked abnormal and please include the normal reference ranges? What test/s were performed that diagnosed her Cushing's? Is she taking any supplements or herbs?

Well, that's enough questions from me and I am looking forward in hearing more about your sweet girl.

I am sorry for the reasons that brought you to us but so glad you found your way here and we will help in any way we can.

Hugs, Lori

Hi,
    Welcome to the forum but sorry for the reason you have to be here. I love Springer Spaniels! Our Brin, who passed away two years ago aged 17.5 years, also barked a lot for the last two years of his life. During the daytime it was easier to cope with but it is hard when it happens throughout the night. Brin's was due to dementia but he did have mobility problems too but not cushings.
    What treatment has your dog been on and is the cushings controlled? I am sure others will be along to give you more advice.
    Linda

Hi and welcome to you and your pup! Congrats on managing Cushing's for an extended period of time. My 13 year old Cush pup, Abbie, has had the same random barking for a while. I have two ideas for you to consider: 1) it could be related to diminished hearing. Have you noticed any signs of this? If I call Abbie from behind her, she has no reaction at all; and/or 2) this could be related to the beginnings of dementia, sometimes called canine cognitive dysfunction. This link has a comprehensive list of symptoms:

http://dogdementia.com/symptoms/

My Abbie has several of the symptoms and I was hoping to start her on Novifit but, unfortunately, the manufacturer has stopped production.
    Judy H. (Always "Maggie and Abbie's Mom" & now "Sadie Sue's Mom")
    Venice, FL

Welcome to the forum. The gang has gotten you off to a good start with their questions. We are certainly looking forward to learning more about your girl and hopefully help figuring out what is causing the barking excessively.
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)