Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 25333435

Thread: Whiskey has joined our beloved at The Bridge

Default Re: Whiskey has joined our beloved at The Bridge

Thanks everyone for your compliments! Tex is a good boy, a snuggle bug too! He's doing better on the leash, but really having issues when we come across another dog. I just can't get him to focus on me, even with "high value treats". He's not aggressive, just wants to play, so he pulls and barks and play bows. Yikes-we are quite a sight! I absolutely think he's lonely for canine companionship, but I really can't take on another dog at this time. A friend brought her dog over, she's twice the size of Tex and a sweetheart, but she was afraid of him! Poor Tex didn't know what to do. I'm trying to arrange some play dates for him, but it hasn't been working out with scheduling so hopefully soon. He walks around kinda squeaking at times, I really think he's looking for his friends, especially outside. I know he was with 6 other dogs in his foster home, and have no idea about before that, but based on what I've seen- I really think he lived with dogs, cats and kids. We'll keep working on it!

Are you taking him to the flower shop, Annie?
    Joan, mom to my Angel Lena, Angel Gable, Angel Phoenix, Angel Doree, Cooper, Sibble, and now Raina.

I took him to the flower shop twice. He has to be tied because we are on a busy highway and there's alot of trouble he could get into besides that. I have him on a long lead in my work area with a bed, toys and water. Our big issue is that every time I walk away he wakes up, starts squeaking which then turns into barking! Not good when people are on the telephone. Even if he can see me, he still barks. He rarely barks at home. So it's an issue we need to work on, but I'm hoping as he gets used to the place he'll settle down. My big issue right now is that my cousin brought their 2 Goldens over to meet Tex and it did not go well. Tex lunged at each of them separately, going for the ear/neck area. So they had to leave and I'm really upset. I spoke to a trainer, and she said I kind of set Tex up to fail, since they came bounding into His yard and he felt the need to protect his new home. These other dogs get along with every dog they meet and are very mellow, but we shouldn't have assumed all would go well. This woman is a private trainer, highly recommended, so she is going to evaluate Tex and we'll go from there. She said we can overcome this, and regardless what Tex went through in his former life, we will start fresh. It's made me feel better, but I'm still worried.

What are you worried about? I'm not being flippant. It helped me to identify exactly what my fears were, and work through them, to be able to discuss with the behaviorist/trainer while I was calm. Then I had a plan on how _I_ would behave, and helped the dog learn differently too.

Kira has been with us for 4 months, and when we first got her, she barked and was very nervous around strangers. She still has issues when she's startled, but she has come a long way. We've had lots of practice around things that were scary, showing her they're not so scary, and teaching her she can trust us to keep her safe.

If you remember, Jackson lunged and barked at other dogs we saw on walks. I learned to teach him what I wanted him to do, instead. It's been a long road and we still have work to do, but he often looks to me now when he sees other dogs (though occasionally still lunges and barks like a maniac). Occasionally. Wow. Last year I would have said he did that every time regardless of how the other dog behaved.

Anyway, a lot of my dogs' behavior is based on MY behavior. If I'm worried, I breathe differently. I tighten up on the leash. Prepare for them to act like a maniac. If I'm calm, relaxed, even happy... I trust the training. I trust them. And they trust me, which is key. They still react sometimes, but less and less.

Of course, Tex isn't Jackson. Nor is he Kira. And I'm no trainer. But that's my experience.

You'll figure it out.
    Mama to Jackson and Kira, and my darling Cushing's angel, Visuddha

It is very hard I think when you go from having a dog you have trained, who just seems to know exactly how to behave around other people and dogs, to one that is new to the whole situation and doesn't know these things.

When you have them from puppy on, they grow and learn, but when you take in a rescue you are rehabilitating behavior from the beginning and it can be a real trial. At least that is what I think. Give it some time and training with the behaviorist and I think it will all come together for you and Tex.
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)